Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
One of the first things I was told about injectors when I emigrated to Cummins land was about pop testing them. No bloody way I'd take 'em apart and install new bits and not pop test 'em. No idea what the tolerance is, but P-Pump ones are higher than VE ones, and P-Pump pop settings will run with a VE driving them...
cheers,
Douglas

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
How MUCH fuel? A trickle won't get you there, you need firm squirts happening. Check that your fuel shutoff solenoid has power to it. Double-check the #3 injector wire is properly connected.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Lol I've been asking him those things since my first post.
Maybe the third mention will do it? (it's proven that repeating something three times tends to sink in!) :D

dfhridenh

TDI
01 Golf gls TDI
and how many times am i going to repeat my self i have fuel to the injectors from time to time cylinder 1 gets good fuel u can see it wile sitting in the car spray out. then cylinder 2.3 u get fuel out of it but only every once and a wile will it spray out high clinder 4 gets fuel but its a trickle after cranking i get out close the nuts down but directly after cranking in the clear fuel line u get small bubbles then it be comes a large air bubble in that line i have bleed off the pump i have cleaned the fuel sender i have changed the fuel filter with the new o rings
let me be very clear i have worked on diesel tractors and equipment for over 10 years its not my first rodeo i have also gotten this car running after pulling the injectors out about 4 weeks ago and now the car will not start. i can feel and hear the injection pump click on and off if i have my wife get in the car to crank for me the car still will not start im about ready to send it off to a shop i dont have the money to do this but i cant seem to get it running. i love these tdi golfs but i have worked on so many of these vws i hate the damn things

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
Buy a set of these fuel line clamps
http://m.sears.com/otc-4506-2-pc-fu...gclid=CPmmlcfE1s0CFRVsfgodS84MvQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

Clamp off both the rubber feed and return lines that FEED the fuel filter from the tank.
Then apply vacuum to the small nipple on the pump. Use a mityvac and it should build the max vacuum that the mityvac can build. More importantly it should HOLD that vacuum pressure pretty much indefinitely. If it doesn't (and this is what I expect) you've got a leak allowing air in and preventing the pump to fully prime. Leak could be on the pump itself or even on one of the rubber fuel lines to and from the filter and or pump. I've seen pinholes cause big issues.

ketchup

Veteran Member
TDI
B5 Passat
Have you tried giving it a whiff of ether? It's far from ideal and I usually wouldn't recommend it but it can help to get things going.

_Dave

TDI
1995 Audi 80 Avant
Do not do that
+1, i saw once flying cylinder head

about the probl, inside the nozzle there is "spire", in case when its stuck, the compression from the cylinder will go to pump

-D.

Last edited:

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
and how many times am i going to repeat my self i have fuel to the injectors from time to time cylinder 1 gets good fuel u can see it wile sitting in the car spray out. then cylinder 2.3 u get fuel out of it but only every once and a wile will it spray out high clinder 4 gets fuel but its a trickle after cranking i get out close the nuts down but directly after cranking in the clear fuel line u get small bubbles then it be comes a large air bubble in that line i have bleed off the pump i have cleaned the fuel sender i have changed the fuel filter with the new o rings
let me be very clear i have worked on diesel tractors and equipment for over 10 years its not my first rodeo i have also gotten this car running after pulling the injectors out about 4 weeks ago and now the car will not start. i can feel and hear the injection pump click on and off if i have my wife get in the car to crank for me the car still will not start im about ready to send it off to a shop i dont have the money to do this but i cant seem to get it running. i love these tdi golfs but i have worked on so many of these vws i hate the damn things

See my post. You`re beating a dead horse son!

dfhridenh

TDI
01 Golf gls TDI
well looks like a injection pump is needed anyone got a pump or know were to get rebuilt or anything im in NH

dfhridenh

TDI
01 Golf gls TDI
leaking some were in the pump do u all think i could just replace the gaskets on the top cover and the metering side

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
Could have just done a hot swap and been back on the road in 30 minutes... Full warranty to boot.

My concern is that you have a warped face, and the nozzles are cross leaking internally. Check the fuel returns on each injector, if fuel is coming out, you're done and you won't be able to make them run.

Follow these steps:

Step 1:
http://www.dbwllc.net/app/uploads/2014/09/DBW-Injector-Removal-Procedure.pdf

Last edited:

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
The problem with not overhauling is you introduce all sorts of leakage points due to body distortion. Also once the faces are disturbed (opened after being compressed for a period of time) they distort. Its akin to installing new rotors with used brake pads... Difference is you are dealing with pressure of upward to 19,000 psi in your engine.

When this occurs the fuel from the pump rather than going to the nozzle dumps into the body and out the returns. Max volume is around 5ml a minute, typically we get 0 leakage after completion.

Before overhaul:

After completion of Body Prep during overhaul:

Last edited:

dfhridenh

TDI
01 Golf gls TDI
i dont want to keep dumping money in to this car i had to do a trany in it due to a cv axle smacking the case and punching a hole in it yea that was not fun. then i have this
is there remand pumps out that that i can get or do i need a new one i just need to get this car on the road i drive 70 miles a day and in a 6.0 pickup its starting to hurt bad

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
well looks like a injection pump is needed anyone got a pump or know were to get rebuilt or anything im in NH
And how did we figure this out?

It went from running to a nozzle swap and not running. Sorry, but doubtful its the pump.

dfhridenh

TDI
01 Golf gls TDI
fixed i want to thank you guys for the help i am sorry if i became a ass been very stressful had a lot of things happen with this car in a short amount of time i had a cv axle let go and smash my tranny about a month after getting the car and my dog smashed the windshield with her head a day after i got the car prior to this soo that being said after a diesel shop told me that the pump was bad i ordered a pump seal kit. i never installed it before i did the pump i finally found a injection pump shop that actually tests injectors. he is about a hour and a half away from me. so i drove there with my injectors and talked with him he said he would test them for free and call me back. i got the call on monday saying i had 1 stuck injector and a injector that was 600 psi over its poptest so for 30 bucks he cleaned and fixed and shimmed all 4 injectors i go put them in friday and after a battery i cranked 3 times to bleed and boom life and now the damn this runs way better then it ever did. i do still have a early morning hard start it starts and surges but then idles down after about 2 min or so as if there is still air in the line but who cares its running and a lot more awake
thanks so much all
drew

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
Good news Drew.

Also, thanks to you for taking the time to post the resolution. Too many threads die without the answer ever being posted. You posting this will undoubtedly help someone else down the road.

dfhridenh

TDI
01 Golf gls TDI
i have noticed that in a lot of forums that people do not finish what they started and i want people to know what to look for and what i have learned and found btw i still have some air bubbles in my line but seems to be ok
thanks so much guys now time for a tune dont know what to look for but going to look none the less

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
had 1 stuck injector and a injector that was 600 psi over its poptest so for 30 bucks he cleaned and fixed and shimmed all 4 injectors i go put them in friday and after a battery i cranked 3 times to bleed and boom life and now the damn this runs way better then it ever did.
drew
Cough cough post 30. :D

Glad you got it fixed and didn't replace the pump that was perfectly fine. :cool:

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Tuners: TDTuning, Kerma, Malone, and some I have chosen to forget...
There are options available, and I suggest you do not buy a tune based on price as others may have suggested.

Cjsalh

TDI
01 alh beetle
So I have a similar ish problem and am new to the site but CAN NOT seem to find my specific problem.. I have recently tried to put in the 205 tips myself. I bought really poopy tips from a 3rd party, online, 60 bucks for all 4 kinda thing... it would start and run fine, then would seem to drop a whole cylinder or TWO off. it would shake tremendously but still stay running. give it throttle it would work out fine. noticed my glow plug light was flashing at me, so I assumed I had pulled too hard on the wiring there? it all seemed fine. I had decided to take them in to the shop that does all of our nozzles for our CAT engines. The tips were so bad out of box they were leaking passed the poppet valves or needles or what have you. Not one hundred percent sure on terminology on these guys. Bit the bullet and bought more tips (same as a buddy is currently running) and handed them over to all be balanced. Randy at Diesel Specialties says they cleaned up hundred percent better!!! So, I head to NAPA grab another new set of copper washers and throw everything together as clean as I am capable of in my home garage. Crack lines gets everything running and make sure everything is tight and she purrrrs.... after a few short seconds of celebrating I was cut short by the same symptoms erratically shaking engine and blinking glow plug light. Hop back on here again after a few hours of feeling like kicked in nuts for spending so much on my FUEL SAVER!!! And I find someone saying blinking glow plug light due to brake light out. So, turns out, 3rd brake light is super dim when I hit brakes. Basically I've seen a few different websites talk about a brake light out possibly causing these symptoms but never did it before and my light isn't out. If someone could enlighten me on how all that is either connected or if I am even on the right track here? please please please PLEASE help me out haha. THANK YOU SO MUCH IN ADVANCE AND IM SORRY FOR THREAD JACKING... << just closest thing I have found with recent replies to boot...