Malone Stage 1.5 tune with Bosio 357 Injector Tips on ALH

stikshift

TDI
'03 Golf ALH
Anyone have experience with this setup? The numbers look good the the tips seems compatible. What will I see as far as mileage? Currently getting around 47 combined on, what I suspect are, the original injectors.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I'd ask Malone what they recommend. If you have the 5-speed 10mm pump they may suggest something larger than 357s.

I'm running 357s with Rocketchip Stage 3+ (19.5 PSI), but with an 11mm pump on my '02 Wagon. I love the setup and have seen over 50 MPG on my last three fills.

stikshift

TDI
'03 Golf ALH
Great, thanks guys. I'm sticking with the stock turbo and clutch (for now) so I'll go with the PP520s.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
How much boost does the 1.5 generate? My stock clutch was toast with RC3 and PP520s.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Boost /= torque

It still make 17-18psi IIRC, but fuels appropriately such that the stock clutch will still hold, gives you Stage 1 torque and Stage 2 power.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
DLC520s + Malone 2 tune in the wife's car and its stock clutch is holding power (dyno, while perhaps a bit questionable, recorded 258 ft-lbs). 175k+ miles. Same configuration didn't hold in my car (which had fewer miles): installed DC stage 1 clutch, which I am extremely pleased with.

I tried the Malone 1.5 tune and didn't really think it all that great. Probably would have been fine had I not also purchased the stage 2 just to see what it was like (after that there was no way I was going back!).

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Torque is an addictive state of mind just like many drugs produce..."but my friend did it" and he didn't grow a third eye, or burn his clutch up or, well, you get the idea. I went from having a terrible Upsolute tune to a broken turbo and a lost timing belt. They were not at the same time thankfully. I am glad I did not know anyone with a bad a$$ turbo and nozzles at the time, so I thought .205 nozzles and a Stage 3 tune was a lot of fun to drive and had a boat-load of power compared to stock. "Who could ask for more?", some say. Here is the short version: the difference in cost today between buying the .216's vs. the .230's is minimal, as opposed to buying .216's today and then a brand new set of .230's down the road because you upgraded your turbo. Eight years later I now own a 17/56 turbo and a set of .230 nozzles and "fun to drive" is an understatement. I am somewhere in the 170 whp range and could not be happier; the turbo was built for me from my dead vnt-15 and the nozzles were purchased used from another members car. I have less than half dollar wise in the turbo and nozzles by "going used" than buying just a 17/56 turbo would have cost by itself. If I have a problem with the nozzles DBW will fix them, and since I am not beating on the turbo boost-wise I don't for see there being any problems for at least another 150 K miles.

Last edited:

Redarms

TDI
2002 ALh
Who does your turbo upgrade rebuild? I have a vnt15, runs like crap but I'm sure theres leaks in my piping but when it goes I planned on doing something like that, sending it in for a upgraded rebuild.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I had turbolab America.com do my turbo. My cartridge was trashed so I got a new cartridge with a 56mm 6+6 blade wheel. The .230 nozzles and this turbo even with a Stage 3 vnt-15 tune make her a real beast at 4600' elevation.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
DLC520s + Malone 2 tune in the wife's car and its stock clutch is holding power (dyno, while perhaps a bit questionable, recorded 258 ft-lbs). 175k+ miles. Same configuration didn't hold in my car (which had fewer miles): installed DC stage 1 clutch, which I am extremely pleased with.

I tried the Malone 1.5 tune and didn't really think it all that great. Probably would have been fine had I not also purchased the stage 2 just to see what it was like (after that there was no way I was going back!).

Funny, I found the opposite. My 00 Sedan with a 1.5 tune was fun to drive, got 40 mpg average and was fast for an auto. My 03 Wagon has the same mods but no cam and a stage 2 Malone, its a dog, belch's black smoke and gets low 30's. My tuner checked out the tune and said its fine. I've backed off the IQ so badly it doesn't have the power I expect, :(