www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > General Automotive

General Automotive General automotive discussion. This is intended to be a discussion about other not VW and Diesel cars you may have or interested in.

Old April 9th, 2019, 10:24   #136
truman
Veteran Member

So it looks like we are getting expensive veneer on high end models and cheapened critical components. Wow 600 for a tail light. WOW at 1700.
truman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2019, 11:49   #137
RabbitGTI
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Don't know. I just feed it and drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20IndigoBlue02 View Post
why not look at the iABED Rear Main Seal upgrade?
The seal ECS sells? That should fix it. A bit of thread wandering here, but are NTK parts any good? I need a crank angle sensor for one of my 2.5 Jettas and Rock Auto has a good price. Back to the TSI discussion
Old April 9th, 2019, 11:54   #138
truman
Veteran Member

Any ideas on durability of 1.4t vs 1.8t? Do they have similar or different weak spots?
Old April 9th, 2019, 12:01   #139
RabbitGTI
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by truman View Post
Any ideas on durability of 1.4t vs 1.8t? Do they have similar or different weak spots?
I think the 1.8 TSI has the same crank seal and timing chain as the 2.0. The 1.4T has a timing belt and an old school mechanical tensioner as far as I know. I also think it has the old crank seal with carrier. My local VW dealer I've know for 30 years has sold a lot of 1.4 Jettas the last few years and he says they have been good, all he knows about is one turbo failure.
Old April 9th, 2019, 12:12   #140
jason_
Veteran Member

I've heard alot of sad expensive unable to return stories regarding not using genuine vag components.

Im sure oil hammer has had a few cheap electrical repairs roll into the shop. If so I'm positive he can also suggest to avoid certain brands the ecm isn't happy about.

The dual radiator fans on a cr vw can be a headache since once has digital feed back and pwm, and the other is a dummy 12v and full blast, which is wired to the first fan with its own mini computer.....

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk
jason_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2019, 13:49   #141
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Quote:

The 1.4L is a totally different engine family, it is unique to itself (in our market). We saw it first, and briefly, in the short lived Jetta hybrid.

I have not seen any issues with them.

The "new" 1.8t is based on the existing 2.0t, which is of the EA888 engine family that came out in 2008. It is the newer generation, but that doesn't automatically make it better. Probably couldn't be any worse.

But I would take my old AWM 170hp 1.8t engine, even with its 225k miles, over a new 170hp 1.8t engine. Any day.
Old April 10th, 2019, 16:36   #142
RabbitGTI
Veteran Member

Dammit, I wish they would have put the 1.4 TSI in the 4MO Golf Sportwagen.
Old April 10th, 2019, 19:33   #143
truman
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbitGTI View Post
Dammit, I wish they would have put the 1.4 TSI in the 4MO Golf Sportwagen.
My thought as well
I think I would rather give up AWD than get stuck with the 1.8t.
The base models seem like a good value.
Old April 11th, 2019, 03:23   #144
oilhammer

Yeah, but the 1.4 may be saddled with a lot of excess drag with AWD. Although they made AWD ALHs, too, so...

Much of what we get here is dictated by the myth that car companies believe every American wants excessively powered vehicles. I am not concerned with winning any races, I just like knowing I can finish them. Which is why I like my ALHs so much. Although truth be told, any belt driven OHC VAG engine is going to be able to last indefinitely with the proper care. The ALH just does so with a minimal outlay of fuel costs and can be mildly modded with no ill effects whatsoever.
Old April 11th, 2019, 05:19   #145
RabbitGTI
Veteran Member

Quote:
My thought as well
I think I would rather give up AWD than get stuck with the 1.8t.
The base models seem like a good value.
I'm trying to decide that now. I'm getting rid of the old stuff as a retirement move and really want to play around with AWD, but all things considered, it's between a Jeep Compass (AWD) and the FWD 1.4 Golf Sportwagen for family/wife vehicle. Jeep engine seems pretty solid and old school non DI, but I'm concerned about the rest of the vehicle. I might be wrong, but it seems that FCA sources a lot of crappy parts now and then which leads to problems. I also don't know if there is a VAGCOM equivalent for the Compass. On the bright side the Compass cabin is just outstanding. I did Manhattan to Wisconsin straight through with zero fatigue. None. Butt, hands, legs, everything was 100 % when I got out. I would add a MK6 Golf R for me to play with when I'm in a hurry.
Old April 11th, 2019, 06:39   #146
tikal
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 37 MPG (~ 45% city)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post
Yeah, but the 1.4 may be saddled with a lot of excess drag with AWD. Although they made AWD ALHs, too, so...

Much of what we get here is dictated by the myth that car companies believe every American wants excessively powered vehicles. I am not concerned with winning any races, I just like knowing I can finish them. Which is why I like my ALHs so much. Although truth be told, any belt driven OHC VAG engine is going to be able to last indefinitely with the proper care. The ALH just does so with a minimal outlay of fuel costs and can be mildly modded with no ill effects whatsoever.

Good points.

To sum it up it seems that the average American feels insecure not having an 'all terrain vehicle' that sits up, has so much horse power even it is used in mostly 'civilized road conditions'.

There are, of course, exceptions for people driving in mostly dirt and rough roads with snow, ice, mud, etc.
tikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2019, 09:11   #147
RabbitGTI
Veteran Member

^^^ Ya, don't really "need" AWD except in a few situations, but there is a massive fun factor in other situations. I've been driving FWD VWs on winter tires (Blizzak, Nokian, General,etc..) forever. One car had a Quaiffe LSD installed. The real eye opener was the few times I co-drove EVOs and WRXs at rallycross and ice events. Whole new driving style and something new to learn. A Golf SW with 1.4 and 4MO would have plenty of power and a Haldex tune would add to the fun. The fuel economy and longevity would be a bonus.
Old April 11th, 2019, 09:39   #148
truman
Veteran Member

Base model cloth seats appear to be a step up from pleather, but no heat.
Old April 14th, 2019, 22:14   #149
20IndigoBlue02
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post
FCA for 2019 gave the 1.3L turbo engine to the Jeep Renegade, to haul 3500 lbs of the Trailhawk edition, with the 4x4, meatier wheel/tire combo and the exterior with the aerodynamics of a brick.

Granted, the 1.3L motor makes more hp and torque than the 1.4 TSI.

If VW believe that every American wants excessively powered vehicles,
Tiguan would not have the 184 hp Budack motor, but a GTI motor instead
Passat/Beetle would not have a detuned Tiguan engine, but the GTI motor instead
Jetta would not have a 1.4TSI, but a GTI motor instead, and the GLI would get the R engine.
And, there would be a Golf Sportwagen R offered.

I'm still wishing VW will bring the 2.5 V6-TSI engine from the Chinese Teramont to replace the VR6 in the Atlas. I prefer a boosted engine when it comes to ski season when I'm at 7000 feet elevation.
Old April 15th, 2019, 04:38   #150
oilhammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20IndigoBlue02 View Post
FCA for 2019 gave the 1.3L turbo engine to the Jeep Renegade, to haul 3500 lbs of the Trailhawk edition, with the 4x4, meatier wheel/tire combo and the exterior with the aerodynamics of a brick.
Granted, the 1.3L motor makes more hp and torque than the 1.4 TSI.
If VW believe that every American wants excessively powered vehicles,
Tiguan would not have the 184 hp Budack motor, but a GTI motor instead
Passat/Beetle would not have a detuned Tiguan engine, but the GTI motor instead
Jetta would not have a 1.4TSI, but a GTI motor instead, and the GLI would get the R engine.
And, there would be a Golf Sportwagen R offered.
I'm still wishing VW will bring the 2.5 V6-TSI engine from the Chinese Teramont to replace the VR6 in the Atlas. I prefer a boosted engine when it comes to ski season when I'm at 7000 feet elevation.

Um, you do realize that all those cars you just listed are available with lesser output engines pretty much everywhere else, right?

The current Tiguan, for instance, has three engine choices in Europe. We ONLY get the most powerful one.
We do not even get the real Passat, and Europe does not get ours, and the Beetle is going away. But in Europe, both the current Passat and Beetle are available with FAR less powerful engines than we have on offer. We cannot even get a manual transmission in them anymore.

So yes, I do believe that Volkswagen thinks Americans prefer more powerful, larger vehicles. So does GM. So does Toyota. So does Renault/Nissan. Did you know that the 1.6L engine we get here in the Versa Note is ONLY for us? The rest of the world gets a standard 1.2L engine, with an optional 1.5L.

Last edited by oilhammer; April 15th, 2019 at 05:24.
oilhammer is offline   Reply With Quote