www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old February 10th, 2020, 06:52   #1
300D
Veteran Member

Default Quality Pre-painted fenders?

Anyone have any luck with the online pre-painted fenders? Which companies have people tried? My doglegs on both sides are pretty well perforated. I have done the clean-out and por-15 and paint and and, but really it's a losing battle. Rest of the car is actually pretty great considering coastal New England.
Old February 10th, 2020, 07:10   #2
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

I think it often depends on the color. Some are easier to match than others.

We sometimes get prepainted bumper covers here, they are usually decent but know that the aftermarket VAG fenders absolutely suck for fit and finish, and rust away quickly.
Old February 10th, 2020, 07:16   #3
300D
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post
I think it often depends on the color. Some are easier to match than others.
We sometimes get prepainted bumper covers here, they are usually decent but know that the aftermarket VAG fenders absolutely suck for fit and finish, and rust away quickly.
Good info. Thanks.
Old February 14th, 2020, 09:38   #4
scurvy
Good Ol' Boy

TDI(s): 2006 Golf
Fuel Economy: ☠☭

I'm almost to this point myself. Whose fenders have you been looking at, 300D?

Right now I'm considering going with preprimed fenders and painting myself with Monstaliner in "Outbreak" - a very close match to Indigo Blue. Also would paint the hood at the same time. It's aftermarket and even though only 5 years old has collected a tremendous amount of paint chips. Frankly I like the look of the Jeeps that have done bedliner paint on the exteriors, and Monstaliner seems to have formulated their paints well (they don't use ground up tires for texture).

But if prepainted fenders are out there and of decent quality, I may go that route in the spring instead.
scurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2020, 09:53   #5
KrashDH
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2002 Golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurvy View Post
I'm almost to this point myself. Whose fenders have you been looking at, 300D?

Right now I'm considering going with preprimed fenders and painting myself with Monstaliner in "Outbreak" - a very close match to Indigo Blue. Also would paint the hood at the same time. It's aftermarket and even though only 5 years old has collected a tremendous amount of paint chips. Frankly I like the look of the Jeeps that have done bedliner paint on the exteriors, and Monstaliner seems to have formulated their paints well (they don't use ground up tires for texture).

But if prepainted fenders are out there and of decent quality, I may go that route in the spring instead.

My hood is at the point where it needs to be painted. A couple years ago I bough a DA buffer and went to town on the car thinking I was going to shine it up with some compound then wax. It looked so glossy when I was done with it!!

Unfortunately I must have buffed the last layer of the clearcoat off because the hood is oxidizing all over.

I think I am going to have the car painted. I'm looking into the Line-X Ultra line. It's made to paint entire vehicles and it's tough as nails.

Thinking about doing my truck at the same time. Never have to worry about rock chips, branches, or shotgun pellets again!
KrashDH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2020, 17:37   #6
quartersaw
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Passat:44mpg Golf 52MPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300D View Post
Anyone have any luck with the online pre-painted fenders? Which companies have people tried? My doglegs on both sides are pretty well perforated. I have done the clean-out and por-15 and paint and and, but really it's a losing battle. Rest of the car is actually pretty great considering coastal New England.
I would buy the genuine article. It's easy enough to get matching paint. Here is a link:
https://parts.vw.com/a/Volkswagen_20...S/9277170.html
quartersaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2020, 19:39   #7
300D
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quartersaw View Post
I would buy the genuine article. It's easy enough to get matching paint. Here is a link:
https://parts.vw.com/a/Volkswagen_20...S/9277170.html

Donít have a setup for a good paint job. I will cast about locally to see if I could install and someone else paint. OEMs arenít even that pricey.
Old February 15th, 2020, 19:36   #8
quartersaw
Veteran Member

Quote:
Don’t have a setup for a good paint job. I will cast about locally to see if I could install and someone else paint. OEMs aren’t even that pricey.
I bought OEM fenders for my 2002 Jetta wagon. I had the same problem as you do.
I bought a harbor freight paint gun, and used a crappy 50 buck compressor to do the job. I took a paint sample to an automotive paint store, and got a good match. 1/2 pint of paint, and a gallon of lacquer thinner did the job with paint to spare. If you eliminate the clear coat, the job will be WAY easier..(I clear coated my fenders) I would paint the fenders before installing them. You will eliminate a TON of labor.
I also painted the inside of the fenders as well. The factory primer alone, will not hold up against the moisture that gets back there.
..Can't beat brand new OEM metal! :-)

Last edited by quartersaw; February 15th, 2020 at 19:43.
Old February 15th, 2020, 20:00   #9
Andyinchville1
Veteran Member

May be the long game BUT if you are patient , you can locate factory original fenders (factory quality) in the same color aged to perfection (same year so no paint color / age matching) in a junk yard.

Over the years I put together an entire front clip for my other car in case of another deer strike .... ;-)
Old February 15th, 2020, 20:28   #10
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

Problem with prepainted fenders is they'll probably look like the color doesn't match unless you blend them into the surrounding panels. I've had the front clip on IBW re-painted twice, and the hood a third time (failed clear bra install). Dark blue is easier to match, silver is hard.

I had fenders replaced as part of the rust warranty 5 years ago. Factory fenders, and they're starting to rust. This spring I'm having them either repaired or replaced, depending on what the body shop says will last longest. Hoping this is the last time.
Old February 16th, 2020, 15:40   #11
300D
Veteran Member

Just as an added data point to this discussion, I looked up the OEM fenders online.

www.1stvwparts.com
www.expressoemparts.com

Both sites have them around $150 a fender. Wow, I thought, that's a nice price.

Then went to the shipping page. $450 and $550 for shipping. Good lord. Are they having someone individually drive it to your address? I don't think I have seen a shipping cost that high anywhere outside of a whole car.
Old February 16th, 2020, 21:03   #12
coalminer16
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Golf 2004
Fuel Economy: as good as 58 (over 700 miles) and as low as 30 over the same route

If you take to the local body painter to see what a cash job is it may not be so bad. Black is the cheapest common color out there according to the guy who painted my golf. Otherwise he said cash $100 each front body part (bumper, fenders) other then hood would be $200. He did my fenders 100 each and a black gti for 450 was the rest of the donation parts. Ebay fenders primed for close to 50 each shipped.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Originally Posted by rmchambers
I really had no idea that VW dealerships were so awful to go to, they sound like undertakers cos everything that goes in there winds up dead.
coalminer16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2020, 10:27   #13
PickensSC

I used two of these from Amazon. I know everyone hates Amazon and the quarter panel might be thinner, but $60 delivered is a great price.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You can also get Harpy rattle can matched paint and clear coat for $40.

I bought a sprayer, link below, that doesn't require an air compressor. It did a good job. I went to my local auto paint store and picked up the paint and clear coat.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
PickensSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2020, 19:31   #14
quartersaw
Veteran Member

Quote:
Just as an added data point to this discussion, I looked up the OEM fenders online.

www.1stvwparts.com
www.expressoemparts.com

Both sites have them around $150 a fender. Wow, I thought, that's a nice price.

Then went to the shipping page. $450 and $550 for shipping. Good lord. Are they having someone individually drive it to your address? I don't think I have seen a shipping cost that high anywhere outside of a whole car.
I paid $169.00 each for the pair of genuine VW fenders, delivered. I'd call a dealer, and see if they can match that $210 pricetag-minus shipping

Last edited by quartersaw; February 17th, 2020 at 19:39.
Old February 18th, 2020, 07:05   #15
Hwycruiser

Fuel Economy: 43 mpg avg

I got a new primed front bumper cover off eBay from “newamauto” that was a good fit at a great price. I took it to my local body shop and had it painted. When I needed a front fender I shopped “car-part.com” to find a salvage car the same color as mine. It was easy to pull one off a donor car. The problem with the front end is that is where most of the damage occurs so it can be tough to find what you need. My car is black so its easy to match my color. There is a lot of vendors on eBay for the aftermarket, read their reviews.