www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Fuels & Lubricants

Fuels & Lubricants Discussion all about Fuels & Lubricants. synthetic oil, conventional oil, brands, change intervals, diesel grades, gelling and such debated items like that. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed. This forum is NOT for the discussion of biodiesel and other alternative fuels.

Old February 13th, 2020, 13:19   #1
PAJettaTDI

Default VW Changed Oil Supplier / Part Numbers for TDIs

Went to my local dealer today to pick up more Castrol SLX Professional OE LL03 oil and found that they officially replaced this with Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 Advanced Synthetic Oil. The new part number is ZVW0555301QDSP. I paid $8.66 a Qt.

Unfortunately I'm one of those guys who like to keep extra on hand but I didn't have enough for a complete oil change, so it looks like I may have to ditch the 3 unopened ones I planned to supplement with new ones.
PAJettaTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2020, 15:18   #2
tikal
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 37 MPG (~ 45% city)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAJettaTDI View Post
Went to my local dealer today to pick up more Castrol SLX Professional OE LL03 oil and found that they officially replaced this with Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 Advanced Synthetic Oil. The new part number is ZVW0555301QDSP. I paid $8.66 a Qt.

Unfortunately I'm one of those guys who like to keep extra on hand but I didn't have enough for a complete oil change, so it looks like I may have to ditch the 3 unopened ones I planned to supplement with new ones.
If I understood correctly you are afraid to mix two approved VW 507 spec oils for your CR TDI?

If yes, do not fear. It would be akin to mix/drink two different brands of spring waters and thinking you are going to get sick as a result :-)
tikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2020, 15:27   #3
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

I would never dream of polluting my Poland Springs with any of that Perrier garbage. Who knows what weird mineral incompatibilities that could unleash! jk. I agree with Tikal, use it up.
turbobrick240 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2020, 15:45   #4
tikal
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobrick240 View Post
I would never dream of polluting my Poland Springs with any of that Perrier garbage. Who knows what weird mineral incompatibilities that could unleash! jk. I agree with Tikal, use it up.
Add in the Fuji water transported by thousands of miles to get to you and you have an explosive mix
Old February 14th, 2020, 04:59   #5
Mongler98
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Race: 12mpg, Gandma:65mpg

oem vs garden hose variety
Mongler98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2020, 07:24   #6
PAJettaTDI

After a quick google search, I read a few websites saying NOT to mix oils from different brands because there could be additives that are incompatible and there'd be no way to know for sure. I wonder if this situation is different.

Decisions are tough when it comes down to the longevity of your vehicle vs. wasting money unnecessarily. I already went through this back in 2005 when they changed the oil used in my PD TDI.
Old February 14th, 2020, 07:29   #7
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

You have little to no worries about the longevity of your vehicle if it is properly serviced with the specified fluids and such. You have way, way, way more chance of wrecking it or something else taking it out before you will ever have to worry about oil taking it out. You are worrying over nothing.
Old February 14th, 2020, 09:04   #8
Mongler98
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Race: 12mpg, Gandma:65mpg

You can mix what ever you want as long as the velocity is the same and the spec you need is also the same. The later is not as important but still nice to use the correct oil. The thing is. Even if you had to use some cheep oil that's close say 5w30 vs spec 5w30 507 spec your still not going to really damage anything for just one oil change duration. Over the life time. Maybe. That's a debate that had been done to death here.
I would personally not stray too far from spec viscosity and worry less about additives. Also $8+ a quart is outrageous but not uncommon. Look out for mobile one and rebates. 5 quarts for usually 15 bucks is a typical deal. Spec 507 5w30 too. Many other things will total the car well before damage from oil that's close enough.
Relax and motor on.

Last edited by Mongler98; February 16th, 2020 at 21:11.
Mongler98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2020, 10:17   #9
PAJettaTDI

Thanks for everyone's input! In that case, I'll be putting in about 50/50 mixture of previous OEM version and new:

- Castrol SLX Professional OE LL03 5W-30 507.00 (GVW052195M2)
- Mobil 1 ESP Advanced Synthetic 5W-30 507.00 (ZVW0555301QDSP)
Old February 14th, 2020, 11:13   #10
tikal
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAJettaTDI View Post
Thanks for everyone's input! In that case, I'll be putting in about 50/50 mixture of previous OEM version and new:

- Castrol SLX Professional OE LL03 5W-30 507.00 (GVW052195M2)
- Mobil 1 ESP Advanced Synthetic 5W-30 507.00 (ZVW0555301QDSP)

Good call!
Old February 15th, 2020, 04:50   #11
Matt927
Veteran Member

TDI(s): several

I thought the new VW supplied 507 was 0w-30?
Matt927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2020, 05:15   #12
johnsTDI
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: oh gosh alot better than burning Gasoline.?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt927 View Post
I thought the new VW supplied 507 was 0w-30?
That's what i got here in canada from my local VW dealer 0w30 High Performance Oil its perfect for Cold winter months on a TDI but in Hot summer months i might just switch over to a 5w30 even though vw says you can run 0w30 all year round that's fine if You live in a perfect world there are variable applications for 5w30 oil to be used though.
johnsTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2020, 05:25   #13
jjblbi
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 41ish mpg post fix

You could go to the manufacturer's sites and check the make-up of both oils and see how much they differ if at all. I too am wary of mixing brands with different additives. Bob is the oil guy (Bitog) is a good website to research this topic.

I personally don't mix oils and I were you I would just source the the same Castrol elsewhere, I imagine Amazon would carry it. Next change use what you want/can get readily.

Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40 for me for the last 150k miles. Good luck, John
jjblbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2020, 06:25   #14
johnsTDI
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: oh gosh alot better than burning Gasoline.?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjblbi View Post
You could go to the manufacturer's sites and check the make-up of both oils and see how much they differ if at all. I too am wary of mixing brands with different additives. Bob is the oil guy (Bitog) is a good website to research this topic.
I personally don't mix oils and I were you I would just source the the same Castrol elsewhere, I imagine Amazon would carry it. Next change use what you want/can get readily.
I only use to use 'Castrol edge professional spec 507 oil' because of price & it was what the dealer recommended to use on my 2012 tdi. i was never a real big fan of using castrol edge prof 'because it was a darker oil to use then any other oil i ever seen before' wich also made it harder to see & keep track of how dirty the engine oil coloure was getting on dipstick after so many thousands of miles. So... for that reason i dont like using dark coloured Oil's but i do like this 0w30 oil from VW though its clearer and easyier to see on oil dipstick and beleive it or not i actually gained half a litter per hundred better fuel mileage from it. i would only use 5w40 oil on my tdi depending on extreme Hot Temperature when its called for like hot summer climate or racing applications where you need a thicker oil film strength & little higher oil pressure for engine protection thicker oils have there applications for use just like thinner oil's do.
https://www.europaparts.com/high-per...50301qdsp.html
johnsTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2020, 07:52   #15
hskrdu
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjblbi View Post

But the M1 ESP 5W-40 isn't VW507, right?