What modifications are best for MPG improvements?

Kuma

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf, Automatic
OK I'm new, must be something in here somewhere that address this subject, if so could someone lead me to it, if not then how about a new it here!
I am looking for MPG improvments, I would like to hear of people that have made physical mods such as chips, injectors ect. and also driving styles.
I have a 2000 Golf, automatic.
Thanks.

Dana Bartholomew

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2000, satin silver
Ditto. In addition: 1) maintain the car (clean filters/screens, air up tires etc. 2) swap the concrete boots for some ultralight Tevas.

jsweinrich

TDI
1997 Passat, 1998 Jetta
I recently posted a message about diesel fumagation. Aparently, if one inject a small amount of propane into the air intake a 20% improvement in mileage is realized (assuming one keeps his/her foot out of it)...

I'll be looking for kits... Let you know what I find.

mtltdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GLS, Indigo Blue
An MFA cluster is my favorite, seeing the effects of your actions instantaneously does wonders for fuel economy. I saw the hit I took when I put my roof rack on the car.

Kuma

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf, Automatic
I have checked out most all of the posts in the TDI fuel economy threads, found some driving recomendations, tire recomendations and a lot of great MPG posts but no mention of performance modifications and increased MPG.

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
Some chip and nozzle manufacturers claim that your mileage my increase with the same driving style. However, many people find they like the extra scoot and end up with lower fuel economy.

Diesel engines are by nature already very lean-burning. Making them leaner-burning will increase pollution emissions, so VW struck a balance between mileage and emissions. There isn't much that can be done to improve fuel economy other than the obvious: keep your tires inflated, acclelerate moderately briskly and cruise slowly.

The best thing for you would be to replace your auto with a stick.

Kuma

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf, Automatic
<The best thing for you would be to replace your auto with a stick. >

Problem is my wife doesn't want to learn to drive a 5 speed. Too bad for me.

Hamsterdiesel

TDIClub Enthusiast , Veteran Member & HO5G CoFound
TDI
1999 Golf IV, Black and now 2015 Reflex Silver Passat SE
I have the Rocketchip Stage 2 Plus and .205 injectors. I saw an increase in mileage after that. I wonder what I'd be doing without the bigger injectors and the chip?!

Jeff @ Rocketchip can set you up with a chip designed for better fuel economy. Chipping isn't always about more power...

one4mileage

TDI
2001 silver Jetta TDI (5 Spd) GLS
I'm trying to contact some veterans regarding upgrades for HP and mileage.

Motor and Nozzles: I was considering trying to get the RocketChip with some kinda nozzle. I don't know if the Sprint .520's or a .205 is better.

Breathing: I read about someone replacing the stock TDI snorkel with a VR6 snorkel to get a wider diameter intake. Does any one have info on this idea?

EGR: What do I need to do to this? Is this what causes my engine to feel like some sort of rev limiter comes on after 3100 RPM?

Exhaust: I was going to leave this stock. I don't want a loud car and if I widen the pipe I'll lose low end torque. A lose lose situation. Any suggestions?

Clutch: Where can I get a more heavy duty clutch. I understand my stock clutch is terrible.

Rims: Does anyone know if sub 20lb 18" x 7" rims can possibly have negligible effects on gas mileage if it might be lighter than the stock 15s.

Any other comments/suggestions for improved performance/ mileage would be appreciated.

one4mileage

TDI
2001 silver Jetta TDI (5 Spd) GLS
I have the Rocketchip Stage 2 Plus and .205 injectors. I saw an increase in mileage after that. I wonder what I'd be doing without the bigger injectors and the chip?!

Jeff @ Rocketchip can set you up with a chip designed for better fuel economy. Chipping isn't always about more power...

Rustynuts

Veteran Member
TDI
VW Jetta 2.0ltr Sport TDI
Breathing: I read about someone replacing the stock TDI snorkel with a VR6 snorkel to get a wider diameter intake. Does any one have info on this idea?
Don't worry about the air intake if economy is what you're after. Even for performance mods, you have to do a lot of work before the intake needs upgrading. However, the intake manifold and egr may be clogged and need cleaning. This is common.

The power loss you're talking about could possibly be a faulty MAF sensor. It's mounted just downwind of the airbox and its job is to sense how much air is going into the engine and adjust fueling accordingly. Try unplugging the connector and give it a drive. If the power is improved then a new MAF is in order, cost $80 or so from tdiparts or impex.

Exhaust can be left stock also as not really any point in playing with it for horsepower. Search for "mufflerectomy" for ideas about removing the muffler for a sporty exhaust note.

Your stock clutch is generally fine for normal (non modded) use but will need upgrading if you go down the chip/injector road.

Tires and wheels? don't know really but expect a hit on mileage if you go bigger. That's what i've read here.

For more in depth knowledge about performace gains, try a search or a post in the performance section. It all goes on over there. power enhancements

PAPDi

TDI
Jetta, 2004, reflex silver
<<Rims: Does anyone know if sub 20lb 18" x 7" rims can possibly have negligible effects on gas mileage if it might be lighter than the stock 15s.>>

I replaced the factory steel 15x6 inch wheels with 16x7.5 inch aluminum wheels (16 pounds). With the wider tires the combo was still a little lighter than the factory setup. The tires have a higher wear rating but I have noticed a 2mpg reduction since the swap, probably due to the extra width and resulting wind drag. But it rides and looks great.

EECSentric

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI SEL DSG LP
Don't forget that a bigger rims (even if lighter) move the majority of the weight outward from the axis of rotation. This also has a negative effect on mpg. I'd have to run numbers of course to see just how much of an effect. Of course, YMMV.