Do I have the right oil in 2005 passat tdi?

mastoidbone

TDI
passat05black
I had 10,000 mile change and invoice says they put in zvw-352-540-s engine oil in....is this ok??is it 505 01???

Thank you

dlai

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat, Stonehenge Gray, 2002 Black Golf 5M
That's the wrong oil if that is indeed the part number you have listed. That's 502 oil, Castro Syntec 5w40, not the 505.01 your PD engine needs. Looks like your dealer owes you an oil change with the correct oil. There's lots of info here if you need backup documentation to prove to your dealer they used the wrong oil...

There's the link to the TSB if you need it:

http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/3005/3093VWoA_50501_TSB.pdf

Last edited:

vwrobert51

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
yep, its the wrong oil, you better return a.s.p and demand new oil change using 5o5o1, take the bulitin with you, and when you start to get the runaround, show the tech bullitin and advise service manager you will be contacting, VW. reqesting a new engine on your dealers dime, that will get you some action. good luck!

mastoidbone

TDI
passat05black
Thanks a bunch I will call them monday.....I've driven 2000 miles since...did I do the engine any real damage?

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Please post the name and location of this dealership that hasn't got a clue! This is ridiculous at this time, years after PD engines have come to North America...

Good luck!!!! (Think about doing your own oil changes from now on...)

Yuri.

dlai

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mastoidbone said:
Thanks a bunch I will call them monday.....I've driven 2000 miles since...did I do the engine any real damage?
You should probably get that oil out of your car asap. VWRobert51 posted a thread here a few months back about a PD he was aware of where the engine had issues with use of non 501.01 oil. You might want to do as he said and scream bloody murder about your engine, ask them for a replacement and see what they say. If there are any issues, it will probably make itself known as you put more miles on the car.

As Yuri said, what dealership did this dirty deed to your car?

tjl

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS
mastoidbone said:
I had 10,000 mile change and invoice says they put in zvw-352-540-s engine oil in....is this ok??is it 505 01???
No. That part number = Castrol Syntec 5W-40, with VW 502.00 and 505.00, not VW 505.01.

The correct VW part number for VW 505.01 rated oil begins with a G.

dlai

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The techs at Dublin VW are known not to have a clue about any TSBs. So you will probably encounter lots of blank stares and the "we'll get back to you" line. You really need to show them the TSB, and really push them about their error. They did you wrong and don't have a clue since PD TDIs are rare animals in CA.

Good luck and please let us know how your talk goes with them.

WDM

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Mk IV Wagon/2005/Reflex Silver
...and for your own good you will find another dealer or reputable VW shop to do future maintenance for you if you don't want to do it yourself, right? ;)

I'd also report them to VWoA and tell them to their faces they are a bunch of useless morons without a clue about customer service let alone the cars they are selling. They should be falling all over themselves to replace the oil for you right frickin' now, Friday my ass. I'd go off like a bomb in that stealership for a good long time if it was me. Good luck sir!

dlai

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mastoidbone: Is there some reason you are going to the dealer for everything in the first place? There is a very active group in the SFBA that can help you learn how to do your own oil changes. We have get togethers where we help others do or learn how to do their own oil changes, amongst other dyi things for your car. If you don't feel comfortable doing that, there are many local shops other than the dealer where you can get work done correctly. You might want to visit the West Coast Forum section here and monitor that for any upcoming GTGs. There is a Chit Chat thread there as well where you can introduce yourself. In the future, you might want to post ahead of time about anything you might be doing for your car so the folks here can steer you in the right direction and help you avoid the problem you currently are experiencing.

Lu_JettaTDI

TDI
2005 TDI
Same problem I have

FYI...Being a noob with TDI's, I just had my 2005 VW Jetta TDI 5000 mile oil change by DCH VW in Millburn, NJ and they used ZVW-352-540-S. If it wasn't for this post, I would not have known. I immediately called the Service Dept and left a message. I printed the VW Tech Bulletin that was posted and I greatly appreciate it. I will keep everyone posted on what the moronic Service Dept does.

Driven over 2000 miles with the ZVW oil also, what are the chances that they will change the engine?

P.S. - I hate to bring this up but has anyone had any fuel gauge problems? Also, on 2005 Jetta TDI's are the vent lights supposed to work because mine don't?!

Audi5000TDI

Banned
TDI
Passat, 1996, Grey
Jeeze.... you guys bring post 2004 TDI's into CA... when TDI sales have been banned and you expect the CA Dealers to take care of your crap for you? Pathetic.... CARB state VW dealers will not know sh*t about oil requirements for TDI.... they probably wont even stock the proper oil for them.... why should they? There is hardly enough demand for 505.01 oils.

Why don't new owners ever read their Owners Manuals? Doh! Ignorance is no excuse. I am so sick of this stuff when people drive 2000 miles and then ask the question? What the xxxx are they thinking? Try asking the question BEFORE you go in for your oil change, that is the proper time to ask.

This is the reason why I would NEVER EVER BUY A USED PD TDI unless the previous owner had all receipts.... We are talking time bombs here for motors and the cam on the injection system.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
TD, some owners DO read their manuals, which specify the wrong oil!

I would DEMAND that they give you an extended engine warrenty. I mean, what if it manifists itself at 120,000 miles because of a worn cam?

-J

2003vwchick

TDI
2003 Golf TDI
Typical Audi5000TDI reply, rude and unhelpful. Plus, LuJetta is from NJ, not a carb state. There are many a case here where a dealer in a non carb state screwed up too. I doubt you would ever by a PD TDI anyways. You have clearly stated before you're anti PD and anti BioD. Sure wish you would go back to your beloved Audi world and remain there. We sure don't need you here...

Lu_JettaTDI

TDI
2005 TDI
Hey Audi5000TDI, why don't you stop living at home and go out in the REAL world and stop having mommy and daddy having to pay for all your crap. You apparantly don't know how to read, I admit that I am a noob but you have no excuse for your stupidity. Where does NJ equal California you moron. This forum is for people like me to learn and understand and get constructive ideas and thoughts, your lame brain attitude doesn't belong here. If you can't add anything to the mix, then shut your spoiled brat mouth.

Lu_JettaTDI

TDI
2005 TDI
Oh yeah, here is the update. I called the Service dept and they apologized. I had the oil change on Monday and I will be bringing the car back on Wednesday morning. I actually only put about 1200 miles since the oil change Monday. Can 1200 miles on the wrong oil really do damage to my car?

brtdiluv

TDI
06 jetta silver
I need Help can anyone send me the tsb on the correct oil in a pd tdi
I beleave the dealer as put the wrong oil in. the Pdf link did not work

Thanks
brtdiluv

WDM

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Mk IV Wagon/2005/Reflex Silver
There may be insignificant to no damage or trouble may manifest itself over time. The proper oil is critical for these PD motors due to tolerances and pressures involved with some components within (cam, injectors, etc). I thought the idea of demanding an extended engine warranty was a very good one and certainly not asking too much considering the dealership poisoned your engine in the first place.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
>>I beleave the dealer as put the wrong oil in<<

For your information, the dealership part number for the 505.01 oil is
G052167A2. Before you permit the dealership to take your car in for service, verify that the parts department has this oil in stock!!!!! Don't wait until after you get your car back with the receipt stating they used p/n ZVW...

Good luck,

Yuri.