www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old November 1st, 2019, 08:29   #1
New2TDIzzz

Default Just purchased 2014 Jetta TDI.. What's first?

Hi all, new to this forum. Just recently purchase a 6speed Jetta TDI. Just broke 20K miles. I'm just curious what mods/upgrades everyone is doing first. I'm reading a lot on Malone tuning or other Stage 2 tunes - Can anyone provide examples or are you just going to Malone's website and ordering from there? I'm also confused if people are replacing exhausts to help on-top of the tune. I've read a lot about the EGR delete. Is this through a tune or better to physically delete it? I'm not the most mechanically inclined, but can easily do basic stuff. Just looking for some help to gain HP, fuel mileage, and torque without digging too deep into things. Anyways, thanks in advance for the help and the add to the group!
New2TDIzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2019, 08:35   #2
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

It's been mentioned here before, but keep in mind that if your car has been fixed prior to sale, modifications, including tuning, can void the emissions warranty. Since that warranty also includes the entire fuel system and turbo, you should think hard about giving it up before you start modifying the car. It's your choice, of course, but you should be aware that a failed DPF, EGR filter, turbo, HPFP, etc. replacements will be paid for by VW, unless they find the car is tuned or deleted. Then it's your money.
Old November 1st, 2019, 08:44   #3
andreigbs
Veteran Member

TDI(s): N/A

^^^ This.

And as a newbie, maybe spend the time getting to know your car first, making sure you stay up to date on maintenance and such along the way. Read your owner's manual cover to cover, spend time here reading the wealth of information available.

Maybe after a couple of years you'll be better prepared to look at performance upgrades, but as one who has been in your shoes before I'd suggest to give it some time.

All the best.
2004 Bora TDI // 146xxx miles // 42 MPG - sold
1997 Jetta TDI // 317xxx miles // 44 MPG - sold
andreigbs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2019, 09:38   #4
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Along with all of that it also seems NY requires safety and emissions testing, which you will fail if devices are deleted, it seems. Looking online it shows they do an OBDII check as well as a visual check for these items:

Catalytic converter (CAT)
Exhaust gas recirculation valve (EGR)
Positive crankcase ventilation system (PCV)
Air injection system (AIS)
Evaporative emissions control (EVAP)
Fuel inlet restrictor (FIR)
Thermostatic air cleaner (TAC)

As already stated you need to do some reading and learning before touching your car for any mods. You could cost yourself big time! Once you have done that a simple tune might be your best bet if you think you can pass with that. Getting your car in excellent shape first is always the first thing when doing any mods.
Old November 4th, 2019, 05:27   #5
New2TDIzzz

Thanks for the replies.. That's all good stuff to know seeing how I bought an extended warranty for pretty much everything on it - probably going to wait awhile or at least until that runs out. However, with the tuners that delete the codes.. Can't I just reset them to default with the tuner? I know NY has some ridiculous emissions standards that need to be in line to be inspected and kept on the road, but if I 'delete' the EGR (or whatever other emission codes), then set it back for inspection, that should pass without a problem if that's how it works?

I mainly wanted to increase my mileage as I drive over 5k miles a month. And I saw a lot of people 'tuning' theirs to get better performance as well as mileage. I don't want to do anything huge, just enough to cut more cost; maybe gain some performance along the way
Old November 4th, 2019, 06:44   #6
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Between emissions inspection and warranty You should just leave it alone. You probably don't want to delete EGR anyway on these cars. With ULSD there is little reason to do this. IIRC the only people I have heard that are getting noticeably better mileage are those who deleted the whole emissions system, so that regens no longer occur. You will not pass inspection if you do that and you will void your warranties. When you delete stuff just swapping tunes back and forth isn't as straight forward as you make it sound. There are issues doing that as well. VW will be able to tell if you have tuned no matter what you do. Besides the cost to do what you want will pretty much negate any savings you get from greater fuel economy.

Last edited by Lightflyer1; November 4th, 2019 at 06:47.
Lightflyer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2019, 07:39   #7
JesseTDI

VW can tell how many times the computer has been flashed, every time you flash a tune to it or return it to stock you add another number to the flash counter. When VW checks this counter (and they will if they have to fix your car on their dime) they will compare it to your cars service history, and if there are more flashes than are accounted for on the service history you will be on the hook for the needed repairs and any future repairs as your vin will be flagged.

Leave it stock until your warranties are gone. If you drive 5k miles a month it wont take long. Enjoy the car in stock form, make a plan and buy all the parts you need in the meantime then when you are out of warranty execute your plan and fall in love with your car all over again. If you follow the maintenance schedule there will be plenty of life left in the car to enjoy tuned. Patience is a virtue (and it will save you money in the long run)
JesseTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2019, 09:25   #8
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

If you delete though, the state emissions inspection will be your hardest test to pass. This goes on forever regardless of warranties.
Old November 4th, 2019, 09:29   #9
New2TDIzzz

Great, thanks for the info guys! So nice having a forum like this so I don't do anything stupid. I appreciate the quick responses and helpful info!!
Old November 4th, 2019, 09:47   #10
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

I'd leave it alone, and instead concentrate on some rust prevention before the NY winters get a hold of it. There may still be time.

Take the fender liners out and clean/treat underneath them.
Old November 4th, 2019, 10:40   #11
srlbotanical

Tint, so your not in a fish bowl...

A good set of snow tires...

Enjoy it!
srlbotanical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2019, 11:29   #12
New2TDIzzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by srlbotanical View Post
Tint, so your not in a fish bowl...
A good set of snow tires...
Enjoy it!
Tint is practically illegal in NY Swear I need to get out of this state to do anything fun