Rear Fog Light Interior Trim Instructions

rgoetz

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently
I'm looking for instructions on how to remove the interior trim from my Golf GLS, so I can run a wire from the light switch (a B5 switch I pulled from my wife's Passat when I put a euroswitch in her car) to the left rear light wiring harness?

I know about the VW wire part I will need to plug in the wire at the switch and at the wiring harness. I'm just looking for instructions on how to pull the trim.

THANKS!

[ July 09, 2001: Message edited by: rgoetz ]

rgoetz

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently
Steve, that link isn't working for me, and I couldn't find anything helpful at the home page.

rgoetz

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently
FWIW, I posted the same question at clubB5 regarding my wife's Passat Variant, and here's the reply I received:

Yes, I have!

I removed a piece of trim at the base of the door frame (front). This required
removal of one torx screw.

I threaded the wire from the light switch down to the opening at the bottom (where
I removed the trim). I then lifted (gently) the interior sill trim a bit (5mm) and
pushed the wire under it. I continued to lift and push until I got to the rear seat.

I lifted the seat cushion and folded down the seatback. I threaded the wire up to
the bolster and pulled it through, leaving enough slack for the switch to be pulled
out of its socket. There is a much easier way to do this next step than the way I
did it. I fished the wire up behind the bolster and grabbed it with a hemostat that I
had pushed (along with my arm) in from the back side by the cubby opening. This
took me 15 minutes to do and I got some serious scrapes on my arm. The easier
way is to remove the bolster by unscrewing the bolt that the seatback locks to. You
can then get into the area over the wheel well much more easily.

The wire then goes back into the cubby and to the tail lamp assembly.

Allow yourself 13 feet of nice wire to get from front to back with good slack.

Steve

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Sportwagon TDI
hmmm..looks like that link isn't working any more. It was a good link with lots of pictures.

I originally found that link in the Golf IV section on the Vortex. Also try their car audio.