Lower grille/fog trim removal on MK6 Golf

JPNess

TDI
2010 Golf 4-Door DSG
Hey all !

I know some folks have removed their grills for one reason or another, including me. I've blacked mine out.

Wondering if anyone has removed the trim around the fogs...or the whole assembly in the lower section. I haven't gotten down there and dug into it yet, but it looks like it might be three sections (psgr side fog trim, middle, drvr side fog trim).

I'd like to black out that bottom section, too, specifically the chrome trim around the fogs. It's not a lot, but matching the color of the grille exactly and eliminating that bit of shiny chrome might make it look a lot better...or that could be my OCD.

back2vw

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI, 2016 Jetta GLI SEL
I'm not sure about removing it, I would assume it is just held on with friction clips like everything else on most cars.

If you are really OCD you might think twice about painting the fog surrounds though. I have had an impossible time painting things like that and keeping them from chipping. Granted the fog surrounds could easily be repainted, and it would look better.
The most recent thing I did was paint fog light surrounds and a grille on our Legacy GT. I prepped everything well, primed, used adhesion promoter, painted a few light layers, followed by a few coats of clear coat. It looked great for a few months but during the winter it took several beatings with salt and crap on the road, and I had to repaint everything in the spring.

Maybe you have a better technique than I do, but my neighbor paints cars for a living and said that my paint looked good, but anything re-painted like that is going to chip. Me being a little OCD myself, I decided I'm not going to paint the fog surrounds on this car. :rolleyes:

JPNess

TDI
2010 Golf 4-Door DSG
I'm not sure about removing it, I would assume it is just held on with friction clips like everything else on most cars.

If you are really OCD you might think twice about painting the fog surrounds though. I have had an impossible time painting things like that and keeping them from chipping. Granted the fog surrounds could easily be repainted, and it would look better.
The most recent thing I did was paint fog light surrounds and a grille on our Legacy GT. I prepped everything well, primed, used adhesion promoter, painted a few light layers, followed by a few coats of clear coat. It looked great for a few months but during the winter it took several beatings with salt and crap on the road, and I had to repaint everything in the spring.

Maybe you have a better technique than I do, but my neighbor paints cars for a living and said that my paint looked good, but anything re-painted like that is going to chip. Me being a little OCD myself, I decided I'm not going to paint the fog surrounds on this car. :rolleyes:
Tks for the feedback. Makes sense. I did the bezel on my Toyota FJ and never had a problem...of course that trim piece sat about 4ft off the ground! I hear you on the chips with this one.

Will have to take a pic and post it up to see what folks think.

Camarones

Veteran Member
TDI
Formerly 2010 Golf TDI 6M 4dr UGM, 2001 Golf TDI
You might find this thread helpful. Hint: skip to the end and ignore the part about removing wheels!

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=269282

I just removed the bezels again yesterday and all you need are some simple plastic pry tools to pop the tabs loose. Be careful though, there is a tab at the outer corner that is slid behind a loop and needs you need to slide the whole bezel towards the center of the bumper or risk snapping that one off. The toughest clips are the pair on the skinniest portion of the bezel.

sjjaskow

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI 6M
I have a sneaking suspicion that you could just buy a fog blackout kit from ECS or OEMPlus, I forget which carries them. It has black instead of chrome pieces. I'm tempted to do that to my car...