Totally Confused over MK7 Oil for 507

JesseTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI, Premium package
I hear ya, I actually work for a tier one supplier. We weld together all of the unibody components then send them over to the Ford plant for assembly. We have to build everything to fords spec. Seems to me the engineers like to make things as difficult as possible to work on so that service departments make more money OR the entire vehicle gets replaced.

JesseTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI, Premium package
A lot of time those bolts are threaded into blank fasteners that are welded to the unibody, there aren't even threads in them to begin with. The bolts themselves cut the threads into the blank (probably do use threadlocker to lubricate the bolt though) upon assembly.

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
Reallllllyy late on this comment, but considering Jiffy Lube is owned by Shell, I'm not surprised they pay literally nothing for oil. NAPA's price is back to normal, so I'm assuming that $5 sale was a loss-leader.

As for me, until my warranty is up, I'll continue to get $80 oil changes from my dealer. As much as I hate to admit that.

Also, I'm curious about GM's new 0W-40 Corvette (dexos2) oil that has MB 229.51 approval: https://www.mobil.com/en-US/Passenger-Vehicle-Lube/pds/GL-XX-Mobil-1-ESP-0W-40

Last edited:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
Instead of being embarrassed by dealership oil changes, do them yourself. It won't void your warranty.
I'm not embarrassed. The Mk7 is a pain in the ass to change its oil without a lift, and even then, it's a messy annoyance compared to previous gens.

For a mere $30 premium over the cost of hunting down the oil myself, I can take a nap while my dealer does it. I do all the other maintenance (sans DSG) myself.

I do realize I'm lucky to have a dealer that's competent. And with a good relationship, the tech offered to install my Alltrack skid plate at no charge when they did my Phase 2 since they were disassembling it all anyway.
That new M1 oil looks delicious. Might have to give it a try in my Bluetec.
And it should be easily found at any Chevy dealer and maybe cheaper online with a GM part number.

EDIT: On Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Mobil1-123875-Formula-Engine-quarts/dp/B07MXPNH7S

And TASCA for $7/qt: https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts/gm-oil-19353135

Mobil Part Number (6qt Case): 123875
GM Part Number: 19353135

Last edited:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'm not embarrassed. The Mk7 is a pain in the ass to change its oil without a lift, and even then, it's a messy annoyance compared to previous gens.

For a mere $30 premium over the cost of hunting down the oil myself, I can take a nap while my dealer does it. I do all the other maintenance (sans DSG) myself.
It's a shame they had to move the filter to a bottom-side arrangement. But I've done dozens of messy bottom-side oil changes without a lift- not that big of a pain really. It's the waiting at the dealership that kills me. I remember waiting over twenty minutes at the dealer for my first complimentary oil change on my '11. When I saw they hadn't even brought the car into a bay yet I left and didn't return until buyback day.

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
It's a shame they had to move the filter to a bottom-side arrangement. But I've done dozens of messy bottom-side oil changes without a lift- not that big of a pain really. It's the waiting at the dealership that kills me. I remember waiting over twenty minutes at the dealer for my first complimentary oil change on my '11. When I saw they hadn't even brought the car into a bay yet I left and didn't return until buyback day.
Great! Mind if I also keep my jack and toolbox at your house, and use your garage? Also, I work nights at a level 1 pediatric trauma center, so I’m usually wide awake around 2 am. Hope you don’t mind, and your garage is well lit!

Or I could just pay an extra $30, and not have to worry about working on my car in a parking garage.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Sorry, my toolshed is pretty full at the moment :) . I understand that most people aren't inclined to do their own oil changes, and there's nothing wrong with that. It just sounded to me like warranty concerns were the main reason you were having the dealer do the changes.

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
Sorry, my toolshed is pretty full at the moment :) . I understand that most people aren't inclined to do their own oil changes, and there's nothing wrong with that. It just sounded to me like warranty concerns were the main reason you were having the dealer do the changes.
Oh no! Just that not until the warranty is over, all that stuff is getting ripped out in favor of a Stage 3. And the freedom to use said 0W-40.

In the mean time, I’m stuck in Hartford.