maf problems

banshee365

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta
Lol. Let me check my crystal ball with regards to your symptoms, codes yada yada yada.

Seriously, is that the only detail you can provide?

My shot in the dark is that your cam is shot.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Blinker fluid. Definitely.

More info is required. The codes, the car, how many miles, anything happen that may have brought this on, recent work done.

jxb

TDI
2006 tdi jetta
Blinker fluid. Definitely.

More info is required. The codes, the car, how many miles, anything happen that may have brought this on, recent work done.
cel came on obd shows maf problem have spent $2000 + so far replaced maf sensor.replaced cam and lifters, egr valve, n31 relay, f 75 relay,egr cooler replaced, ecu replaced with rebuilt one,Cleaned intake plumbing vw dealer used their diagnostic computer to check vehicle 2006 jetta tdi. Will not give out codes against vw policy,i cannot afford a lawyer to get codes from them. I was shown a turbo test code that showed a barometric sensor in the ecu was bad sent the ecu out to a repair shop and they could not repair it but confirmed same problem I have lost all faith in codes as all items that were replaced were done because of codes the last thing I was told it may be a wiring problem I can no longer go on maybe cures, that cost money. I have heard that there are ground wires underneath the battery box that could cause the problem has anybody had these wires fix this. The next thing I need to do is check the reference voltage from the ecu going into the maf sensor. The cel came on at 180 k miles with no other problems. One thing my mileage is down to 36 mpg from 42- 44 the car has a lot of power and no other problems.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
You need to find someone close by that has a vcds, way cheaper than a lawyer, even if you had to buy one. Vcds is the standalone program that can read vw cars various modules.

I don’t own an 06 but I have read that the grounds under the battery tray are very problematic. Disconnect and pull the battery , take out the tray , and clean those grounds up, it can’t hurt and may do a lot of good. Of course the best part if you diy is , it’s free.

If the MAF code is still coming up after you replaced it then that begs the question, was it a Bosch MAF or did somebody put in an aftermarket part?

Last edited:

jxb

TDI
2006 tdi jetta
You need to find someone close by that has a vcds, way cheaper than a lawyer, even if you had to buy one. Vcds is the standalone program that can read vw cars various modules.

I don’t own an 06 but I have read that the grounds under the battery tray are very problematic. Disconnect and pull the battery , take out the tray , and clean those grounds up, it can’t hurt and may do a lot of good. Of course the best part if you diy is , it’s free.

If the MAF code is still coming up after you replaced it then that begs the question, was it a Bosch MAF or did somebody put in an aftermarket part?
It was aftermarket are they a big problem. Will a vcds tell any thing more than the dealers diagnostic equipment does. I do not know anybody who has a vcds I live near Atlanta at this point the cost of a bosch maf sensor is about $135 and I think a vcds cable is about $200 right now I need to wait and see what people have to say about their experiences with after market sensors were before I buy a sensor or a vcds.

banshee365

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta
You just need to be able to read the mg/s on the MAF to see if the sensor is bad.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If you do a search you'll know what folks think about aftermarket maf sensors. If you had a vcds you would be able to tell in short order if the new one was bad.

jxb

TDI
2006 tdi jetta
If you do a search you'll know what folks think about aftermarket maf sensors. If you had a vcds you would be able to tell in short order if the new one was bad.
I replaced the after market one with the original bosch one, the vw people told me that both were ok same problem today. I tested the wires at the maf connecter for the correct readings it is a 4 wire plug here is what they read #1 no wire #2 wire input voltage from pwr relay to ecu12v #3wire ground #4 wire from ecu to maf 5.5v #5 wire signal voltage from maf to ecu 5v.The 2,3,4, readings are correct. The #5 wire is the signal from the maf to tell the ecu what to do it is reading 5v. I need to find out if the signal voltage from the maf to the ecu should be varied or stable. I hope somebody knows the answer. Also the readings were the same with the aftermarket unit. I find it hard to believe that 2 units would give me the same readings with the same problem.The last option told to me by the dealer was a wiring problem and that it would be very expensive to troubleshoot. The obd showed 0 flow through the maf and the problem was in ckt 2 of the maf system. The intake is clear the filter is new and not oil coated. Running the engine static it will go to 4600 to 4800 rpm. Again i hope there is somebody who can tell me what the voltage should be on the #5 signal wire.