Best MPGs or Longest Tank: Decisions, Decisions!

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
Hello,

I just returned from a road trip from SE Virginia to SW Connecticut. On the way up, I did just a *little* bit of speeding, drove mostly 55-65 mph zones, had only one or two traffic jams and then had about 100 miles of local, suburban driving. That fill-up at 615 miles resulted in my best tank yet: 49.9 mpg!

For the return trip, I stayed just a hair over the speed limit and actually managed to sail right through NYC almost unimpeded. I don't think I had a single hiccup during the 455-mile trip. I could tell that my fuel consumption was looking good. Sure, I didn't really buy the 58-60 mpg shown on the display, but reaching 428 miles at the moment that the digital fuel level displayed 1/2-tank is unprecedented for me in this car. Even if I have to fill up with eight gallons right now, that's still 53 mpg!

My dilemma: Do I take the easy victory now by filling up and getting a great fuel economy number? Or do I try to stretch out the tank, knowing full-well that I'll be fighting some commuter traffic in this area, to see if I can join the 700-mile club, even if it means a lower top MPG tank? :eek:

What's a MPG Hound to do??? :p

BTW, This was not a solo, lightweight, hypermiling trip. I had two passengers, food/drinks, and weekend baggage for four (the cat has her own bag :rolleyes:). The inverter was energized to power-up a laptop for my daughter and a heating pad for our 20-year old cat. Here's my loadout...

:cool:

Scott

Last edited:

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
Hello,

Go for the longest tank. You've already documented the MPG, so see how far you can take it!
I considered it. But, after looking at the forecast (AC use this week) and knowing about construction projects around here, I wasn't willing to kill the tank or take the time needed to finally reach the 700 mile mark. This is especially true since I need to vacuum some cat hair out of of the car. :eek: Speaking of the cat...

We need a photo of the 20 year old cat posted or we don't believe any of your story.:D
She was pretty annoying when in her carrier. She's deaf; so she has no idea how loud she can be. Once we let her out, she was more laid back than we had ever seen her:

Friday

Saturday

She's old, tired, and prefers to just sleep on a warm lap or pad these days. :cool:

i would go for the highest MPG and fill up now lol
That's what I chose. I HAD to know what the car had accomplished under ideal travel conditions:

I had always figured the car wasn't capable of achieving this kind of economy. Now I have a better understanding that the CR simply pays a higher penalty for speeding, AC, or idling, all of which were nearly eliminated during this trip. :)

Here's the route I chose:

The only way the conditions could have been better was if I could have used the express EZPass lanes on the Delaware Memorial Bridge and if it had not rained. Waiting in the EZPass backup (express lanes are far-left and my exit was immediately right) and driving in the rain were the only times I could see my MPGs decrease. It's hard for me to imagine being able to reproduce such excellent driving conditions.

I'll shoot for a 700-mile tank when I know I can drive 700 miles without wanting to use the AC. ;)

Scott

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
Had a loaner TDI after my Golf got wrecked. That car was consistently getting 750 mile tanks. A/C and traveling at posted speed limit, with 1/3 ish of the commute through town. Oh, and DSG of course.

After we replaced my car with the Tiggy I got the wife's Beetle. I concur that the CR takes a much more delicate touch on the go pedal than a PD or VE. A lot more subtleties to the throttle pedal to get the MPG to stay up, after 160K miles with a different/forgiving drive train.

But that's a good number for a road trip with all the stuff you brought along.

Jason

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
55.5 beats this sailor's best (And I was solo!)

444 miles Long Beach to Rocklin (CA) on 8.150 gallons of ULSD.

Well, it's a wagon. 54 1/2 is my best ever.....(however, it's prior to the 2306 ECM Reflash).

ez

str8t six

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 GLS TDI
thats better than i have ever achieved!

i find it amazing you got threw the HR tunnel without stopping! lol

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
Nice. That stretch is a good run (assuming you don't hit traffic), as flat as it is. I went from VA to NH in one tank. My best tank is in the ~660 mile range. My right foot has never allowed me to get to 700 miles in a tank, lol.

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
HAHA!

i find it amazing you got threw the HR tunnel without stopping! lol
Yeah, I was pretty shocked, too. There was a slight slowdown as I hit the bridge due to rain and LIGHT fog, but all was well once I had everyone behind me... YES, even at 57 mph, I was passing people. :rolleyes: It really wasn't bad at all. I was really glad to not be stuck behind any scaredy-cats in the tunnel. Straight-on-thru, I went! Eastbound, however, was backed up 3.5 miles to LaSalle due to a crash. :eek:

Scott

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Great cat! ;) Hope she lives a few more years.

My daughter has a male that's 15 years old and has a one inch tail (that's all that is left of it :D). I call him Scarface, but that's not his actual name.

Looks like you ended up in my old back yard (Southbury, CT), or near there. That's still home for me, but I am stuck in Texas.

Great job on the trip, especially going through NY.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Best I ever got in the Golf was 47.7. But that was running at 75-80 MPH with the A/C on, driving back from the Yipsi Fest. I did get 700 miles on that tank, only one. At those speeds my wagon might get an additional 2-4 MPG, but I think the new cars' taller gearing really helps. I agree you take a bigger hit in traffic, as well as when it's cold out.

My lifetime average (28K) in the Golf (sold) was 45 MPG. But it was spared a lot of the daily short trips and traffic my wagon is subjected to. Despite this, for the last 20 tanks in the wagon only two have been fewer than 700 miles. I liked the newer Golf, but it's tough to give that up.

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
Good Morning,

54 1/2 is my best ever.....(however, it's prior to the 2306 ECM Reflash).
I didn't consider it until now, but my feat was done WITH the 23O6 flash... unless the Malone Stage 2 undid that. Not sure about that. Malone downloaded my factory program (with 23O6) and tuned that. My exhaust is STOCK. I've never noticed a significant drop in FE with the 23O6 flash or the Malone. Given the rumors that tuning the car lowers FE, I'm even more pleased by this tank!

Scott

Aztraveler

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold 2014 Jetta back to VW in 2016. In Oct 2020 Bought 2015 Passat TDI SE CPO
2014 Jetta Sedan
My best tank was 665 miles @ 53 mpg.

South bound trip from MI to NC. kept speed to 5 over and/or a max to 65. IE: speed limit 55, I did 60. Speed limit 70, I did 65.

Stopped only at rest areas, no AC, traveling alone. No hypermiling. I did have one traffic jam that had me stopped for 1/2 hour.

When I filled up a 1/2 mile from home, I only put 12.5 gals in. I could have gone well over 700.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
Good Morning,

I didn't consider it until now, but my feat was done WITH the 23O6 flash... unless the Malone Stage 2 undid that. Not sure about that. Malone downloaded my factory program (with 23O6) and tuned that. My exhaust is STOCK. I've never noticed a significant drop in FE with the 23O6 flash or the Malone. Given the rumors that tuning the car lowers FE, I'm even more pleased by this tank!

Scott
Scott, that's good info (there has been much 'po mouth' vis-a-vis the 2306 reflash)................

best, ez