DIY 2006 Jetta MKV headlights auto off with ignition mod

cxwhiteley

TDI
'06 Jetta TDI
I’m used to driving vehicles where the headlights turn off when the ignition is turned off. If I do not manually turn the headlights off at the switch when exiting my TDI the driving lights stay on at a low level even with no key in the vehicle and drain the battery. It is a simple fail-safe that most vehicles offer these days to kill the headlights when the ignition is off. My 2006 Jetta TDI does not. I have had this happen to me twice in 7 years. Once when I was late for a flight and my vehicle sat for 2 weeks at the airport, ultimately, destroying the battery.

After looking into it, I’m uncertain if you can program the ECU to address this or replace the type of light switch used. Any info on that would be helpful. I have read a number of posts discussing this shortcoming and whenever someone mentions it on the net, there seems to always be some hair trigger commenters saying “well just turn off your lights, it’s not that hard to do”. If that describes you, then I’m happy for your flawlessness, but that’s not me. I listen to loud music, I have screaming kids, I’m rushing around more that I would like and occasionally I forget to turn off my lights. It doesn't help that I drive 6-10 different types of vehicles every month and this is the only one where this happens.

For the benefit of any fellow “less than perfect” MKV owners that might have an interest, I thought I’d share how I modified my headlights so that they turn off when the ignition key is turned off. If you’re one of those smug people that thinks VW’s design is fine and that the problem lies with the user or that pointing out a shortcoming of VW is somehow heresy, move on, start anther thread and debate it. For everyone else, or anyone with information on alternative approaches here is what I did.

Step 1 Remove Headlight Switch Housing – turn the switch handle all the way to the left/off position. Push the switch in. It goes in about a ¼ in. and then turn it all the way to the right/on position to unlock the module. The housing then slides out.

Step 2 Remove switch and unplug the wire loom from the back of the switch.

Step 3 – Open up the fuse panel on the driver’s side dash

Step 4 – Pull the wire loom out through the fuse panel opening. Remove the fuzzy tape to expose the Red & White wire.

Step 5 – Insert an “Add a Circuit” (available at any auto parts store) into the third slot shown above on the fuse panel to get power only when the ignition is on.

Step 6 – Add a relay – buy an automotive relay at Radio Shack or the auto parts store. Cut the Red & White wire from the switch loom. Run one lead of the Red & White wire to pin 87 and the other side to pin 30 on the relay. Run the “ignition on” wire from the Add a Circuit to pin 86. Run a ground wire to pin 85. I attached the ground underneath the torq bolt circled above. I mounted the relay to the torq bolt that holds the fuse panel in place.

Step 7 – Re-install everything in reverse order. Re-tape the switch loom. I just used electrical tape vs. fuzzy. Push the loom back through to the headlight switch hole and plug it into the switch. Reinsert the switch by sliding it in with a positive click. Finally, make sure that your connections are not half assed.

Now, IF you leave your lights on and exit the vehicle they will turn off when you turn the vehicle off rather than stay on and drain your battery. You can also just leave the lights “always on” and forget about them if you like.

Last edited:

Q-Ship

TDI
2009 Jetta, U Boat Grey
I assume you did this because the DRLs are not bright enough to meet your requirements?

FWIW, there is no federal law requiring DRLs or driving with headlights on during daylight hours. Use of DRLs is also becoming optional in the EU. For the most part it is a marketing gimmick used by the automakers to convince people that their cars are safer than Brand X. FYI, the USDOT spent 10 years studying DRLs and their effectiveness and here is the link and document number of the study results. www.regulations.gov
Document #2008-0153-0004
Bottom line - statistically insignificant (their words) and would have unintended consequences for pedestrians and motorcycles (the only vehicles where headlights on are mandated). Also their words.
Courage.

nitrohog

TDI
none yet
Your other option would have been to upgrade your car with the auto headlight function. My 05.5 has three positions on the headlight switch, off, auto, and on. I keep it in the auto position and never touch it personally. I'm unsure what is actually required to make the upgrade but I assume it would only need a sunlight sensor, headlight switch, and to enable it with a vag com.

Sent from my Rezound on Tachyon using Tapatalk

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
The fix is really stupid simple. turn off your lights when you exit the vehicle. Auto headlights are so retarded. When you exit the vehicle, just turn off the lights. If I want headlights or parking lights on, i will turn them on, if not, they are switched off.

I can't believe that the "coming home" feature for headlights is useful to anyone. What a stupid option that is hard on your battery.

Last edited:

nitrohog

TDI
none yet
I'm sure that in your time you've heard people compare opinions and sphincters, with all due respect I believe the original post was intended to be informative to any party interested in a feature that some find helpful. If you don't like it nobody is forcing you to do it or to so much as read the posts.

farfrumsanity

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta-2005 Reflex Silver A-5
The stupid thing is you get a chime warning if you leave the blinker on and shut the car off but nothing for the headlights, easy to forget if you turn the lights on before dawn and you continue driving till the afternoon.

homer8869

TDI
2009 JSW
The coming home feature is extremely useful to those of us that frequent areas without city street lights. It gets pretty dark in the country at night.

farfrumsanity

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta-2005 Reflex Silver A-5
I'm not saying the coming home feature is not good, but the chime warning for it and not the headlights, especially when you drive from dark to sunlight and forget the headlights are on.

cxwhiteley

TDI
'06 Jetta TDI
I assume you did this because the DRLs are not bright enough to meet your requirements?

FWIW, there is no federal law requiring DRLs or driving with headlights on during daylight hours. Use of DRLs is also becoming optional in the EU. For the most part it is a marketing gimmick used by the automakers to convince people that their cars are safer than Brand X. FYI, the USDOT spent 10 years studying DRLs and their effectiveness and here is the link and document number of the study results. www.regulations.gov
Document #2008-0153-0004
Bottom line - statistically insignificant (their words) and would have unintended consequences for pedestrians and motorcycles (the only vehicles where headlights on are mandated). Also their words.
Courage.
No, I'm not interested in keeping my lights on, I'm interested in them turning off when you accidentally leave them switched on and exit the vehicle. On this vehicle they will stay on even if the key is removed and drain your battery. Many modern vehicles do not allow this to happen. With this mod, when you turn off the ignition the lights will automatically shut off, preventing them from accidentally draining your battery.

cxwhiteley

TDI
'06 Jetta TDI
Your other option would have been to upgrade your car with the auto headlight function. My 05.5 has three positions on the headlight switch, off, auto, and on. I keep it in the auto position and never touch it personally. I'm unsure what is actually required to make the upgrade but I assume it would only need a sunlight sensor, headlight switch, and to enable it with a vag com.

I think it would be helpful to know if there is a way of just using an auto switch without using a vag-com. The sunlight sensor seems like wasted money because all it does is switch down from headlights to DTRL, minimal difference in my mind, whereas the auto switch would kill the circuit when the ignition is off.

cxwhiteley

TDI
'06 Jetta TDI
The fix is really stupid simple. turn off your lights when you exit the vehicle. Auto headlights are so retarded. When you exit the vehicle, just turn off the lights. If I want headlights or parking lights on, i will turn them on, if not, they are switched off.

I can't believe that the "coming home" feature for headlights is useful to anyone. What a stupid option that is hard on your battery.
Wow, (shaking head in disbelief) you should re-read the original post and see if you can see yourself described within it, then start your own thread and debate it, because that is not what this thread is about. It's about protecting your battery when the lights are accidentally left on and the key is removed from the ignition. That's not hard on the battery at all, peace.

cxwhiteley

TDI
'06 Jetta TDI
So I heard an interesting explanation of why VW designs their lights to not turn off when the vehicle key is removed. I can't vouch for it but, I was told that in Europe double parking is very common and they wanted the person to be able to remove the key, exit and lock their vehicle while keeping the lights on so passing vehicles could see the double parked car.

In essence, this design would prioritize preventing the vehicle from getting hit by a passing car over preventing it from draining the battery if you leave your vehicle, accidentally forgetting to turn off the lights. Classic example of over-engineering in my mind, particularly when flashers would work in the double parking situation. Although, there might be laws requiring such lighting for double parked cars in Europe...I'm not even sure if this explanation is true.

nitrohog

TDI
none yet
I think it would be helpful to know if there is a way of just using an auto switch without using a vag-com. The sunlight sensor seems like wasted money because all it does is switch down from headlights to DTRL, minimal difference in my mind, whereas the auto switch would kill the circuit when the ignition is off.
I wonder how hard it is to unplug the sunlight sensor. If I find myself with some idle time it'd be interesting to see what happens with it unplugged. I'm doubting it'll work without the function turned on via vag com though and it seems like a moot point with so many people willing to lend a hand for nothing more than a frosty beverage in return, myself included.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

tdietrich

TDI
2006 Jetta
Thank you!

I’m used to driving vehicles where the headlights turn off when the ignition is turned off. If I do not manually turn the headlights off at the switch when exiting my TDI the driving lights stay on at a low level even with no key in the vehicle and drain the battery. It is a simple fail-safe that most vehicles offer these days to kill the headlights when the ignition is off. My 2006 Jetta TDI does not. I have had this happen to me twice in 7 years. Once when I was late for a flight and my vehicle sat for 2 weeks at the airport, ultimately, destroying the battery.
Thank you very much for your detailed instructions on this! I just bought a 2006 Jetta and the first day I drove it, I killed the battery because of this issue. Your descriptions and photos were very helpful and I've now completed the fix. Works like a charm. Much appreciated!!!

1998993C2S

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta Pkg2 DSG Navi
Start your own thread ......

OP - thanks for headlight/ignition mod tip and taking the time to post.

This is HILARIOUS ...... !
Wow, (shaking head in disbelief) you should re-read the original post and see if you can see yourself described within it, Edit / Delete

Last edited:

1998993C2S

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta Pkg2 DSG Navi
The explanation you were told is kind-of true, partly.
Its the ability of having operational parking lights, in a side to side arrangement, and without ignition that is a European practice.

When double parking on a narrow street in Frankfurt,,, and byway of the blinker stalk, pick which side of the car that will have the parking lights illuminated for safety reasoning ....??
The side of the car nearest or in the street will have that sides F/R parking lights on. Night street lights are uncommon in Germany making side streets, streets etc., dark.

So I heard an interesting explanation of why VW designs their lights to not turn off when the vehicle key is removed. I can't vouch for it but, I was told that in Europe double parking is very common and they wanted the person to be able to remove the key, exit and lock their vehicle while keeping the lights on so passing vehicles could see the double parked car.

Edit/Delete text .

Last edited:

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf VI TDI, 77 kW (CAYC)
Can't this be done with VCDS?
I've seen that option in VCDS but that was for MkVI.
It's called something like "Terminal XX off with ignition off"

Zignot5

TDI
Jetta tdi 2014
2014?

Does anyone know if this will work w the 2014 jetta?
This is the first car I've owned that the headlights aren't linked to the ignition. Very disappointing.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Wow, (shaking head in disbelief) you should re-read the original post and see if you can see yourself described within it, then start your own thread and debate it, because that is not what this thread is about. It's about protecting your battery when the lights are accidentally left on and the key is removed from the ignition. That's not hard on the battery at all, peace.
What's hard to believe is that the auto industry caters to such a low level of driver awareness.

Driving is serious business that requires you to have situational awareness of what you are doing any time the vehicle is being operated by you. Do you forget to turn off the engine and secure the vehicle from rolling, as well when you park?

Make a checklist of what to do when you are ready to exit the vehicle and always follow it. Problem solved.

• Engine off. Check.
  • vehicle secured from rolling. Check.
  • Lighting off. Check.
  • Window rolled up. Check.
  • Valuable items out of sight. Check.
  • Exit vehicle with key in hand. Check.
  • Close and lock doors. Check.

I can't believe the level of retardation that has become the norm when operation motor vehicles.

buratino1117

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI DSG
After learning the hard way that leaving the lights on is no fun, I actually installed an European switch (got it on what) that has a built in light sensor...That was a great $30 I have spent for this car. I no longer have to touch the switch due to the auto position and the lights (front and back) due their job based on the amount of light is outside.While paying attention to turn the lights off may not be such a deal for some, it was for me due to the fact that somehow I managed not to do it just couple of times. The Euro switch installation was a breeze (detailed info at my turbodiesel.com), looks great and allows you to worry about other things in life besides leaving the car lights on (and the problems that come along with that).

Last edited:

evoblade

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 VW Jetta TDI

I don' think OP is trying to get auto lights, so much as not wanting to kill the battery from forgetfulness. The Jetta is the only car I have driven where I forget to turn off the lights, probably because the ding when you leave the lights on is just two dings and thats it. Exactly what you get if you open the door with the key in the ignition. Pretty lame. If the car kept dinging it would remind you.

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf VI TDI, 77 kW (CAYC)
Euro switch with a built in light sensor? What is that? Can I see a pic of it?

mphymel

TDI
2006 Jetta
Just finished this mod, after killing my battery some 5 times, thanks for posting this and taking the guess work out of it!

andrewf

TDI
F250 6.7 Count? / Jetta
Bringing old thread to life.

I did this mod in about 10 minutes tonight, I did not use a relay as the lighting circuit already has one built in. I did an add-a-fuse on the top left red 10AMP fuse.

I cut the white/red wire, capped the end coming from the battery, and spliced the one from the switch, to my add-a-fuse.

Works llike I wanted, no more accidentally leaving the lights on.

All the other vehicles I drive have auto-lights, so I found that I'd accidentally leave these on.

Feeeeg

TDI
06 Jetta
Just bought a 2018 jetta and the lights do not turn off automatically in the event of accidentally leaving them on, yet my base level fleet Nissan versas will do this.

Plan on buying the auto switch for my 18, and if I ever get the BRM 06 running will do it to that one as well.

Why such a simple feature is lost in this car is beyond me.

mohitsingh

TDI
2006 vw jetta diesel automatic
Hi i am replying to your post that you posted for vw jetta i gues 2004. And you posted how to fix and issue that the light you turned on manuall and you forgot to switch off and then it drain battery, same was happenning to me when i saw your post and i was happy i just went to store to buy stuff but came back for some reason without buyingand then what i find out made me laugh so much that why we gone through this hard process when there was a veryyyyyyy veryyyyyyyyyy veryyyyy easy way to fix this🤣🤣🤣

That is when i took my switch out as you explained and i took the wire clip out of that switch. I saw my cluster lights came on same like when i turn on my lights manually. I gone back and checked my tail lights and head lights they came on tooo , i turn off the vehicle and the turned off

So easy fix was take that manual turn on off button out and disconnect it ,and car computer thing there is a trouble with switch so it makes the lights turned on all the time and when car is switched off the lights went off immidately.

🤣🤣🤣 Why was all that relay. Ad a circuit amd so so so on.🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣