TDIFest 2012 coming to Ypsilanti, MI

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Welcome to TDI Club...I love a brother car stalker! mrfrankmrfrank, can I be frank;)? If you have your mind set on a used TDI, best step up the pace. There's talk of fuel jumping substantially again. The used market will be thin and pricey:rolleyes:.
See you at the fest....Taurus or not, YOU are welcome !
On the news tonight they mentioned that used car prices have already started to rise.

manual_tranny

Smyth Performance- Intern
TDI
2001 Golf @182K; 2000 Jetta @290K
On the news tonight they mentioned that used car prices have already started to rise.
I can't say that I'm surprised.

I bought a 1999 Jetta TDI for $2500 two years ago. The same old beater TDI with a broken radiator, missing A/C, messed up dash and seats, broken plastics, questionable compression, dead suspension and brakes, chipped windshield, etc. etc. would probably bring $4000+ today. :rolleyes:

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
Hello,

I am actively keeping an eye out for a somewhat close (within 500 miles of illinois) jetta.
Don't limit yourself on distance. Airfare is currently affordable. There are a lot of great cars out there. Fly out then drive back and you're in business. :)

Good Luck,

Scott

KraftwerkB6

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
Friend at work used to live in Ypsi and still has family there.
He might tag along if our vacation days do not run out here at work and getting married this year does not take up more vacation days then I hope then
I should be able to make this, its only 7-8 hours away and thats nothing in the jsw.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Airfare is currently affordable.
:confused::confused::confused:

Obviously you must have an employer pay for your "affordable" flights. ;)
Flights that used to be affordable at $100 - $200, are now around $400 - $600. Add to that the extra fees and charges you are hit with AFTER ticket purchase, the "pleasure" of being treated as a criminal by the TSA thugs, and you'll see why I and many, many others prefer to drive or use Amtrak. It is cheaper to drive (even with $4+/gal fuel) than fly to most states except Hawaii. And as soon as a vendor comes up with a way to turn a TDI into a submarine, even that will be feasible. :D

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
:D

"Affordable" is a relative term. ;) I quoted a person who appears to be searching for a dream car. So a bit of airfare on top of the cost of a $10,000 car (his budget) really isn't that bad if he gets what he wants. Of course, destination plays into airfare. I can get from VA to San Diego or San Francisco for under $300 (Travelocity quotes).

I'm not looking to turn this into an airfare discussion. I'm just suggesting to not limit a dream to 500 miles. ;) FWIW, I agree that DRIVING IS BETTER THAN FLYING. (<< Click me) :)

Scott

Last edited:

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
:D

"Affordable" is a relative term. ;) I quoted a person who appears to be searching for a dream car. So a bit of airfare on top of the cost of a $10,000 car (his budget) really isn't that bad if he gets what he wants. Of course, destination plays into airfare. I can get from VA to San Diego or San Francisco for under $300 (Travelocity quotes).

I'm not looking to turn this into an airfare discussion. I'm just suggesting to not limit a dream to 500 miles. ;) FWIW, I agree that DRIVING IS BETTER THAN FLYING. (<< Click me) :)

Scott
Agreed; we just have to remember to factor in travel costs as part of the purchase price. Also, it will be interesting to see what the travel sites quote for your flight with the new law going into effect that ALL fees, taxes, charges, have to be disclosed up front and added to the price of tickets.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
And the TSA thugs go after Amtrak and Greyhound, too.
Maybe back east, but our Greyhound "station" is a local Chevron station, so there isn't any place for body scanners, strip searches, etc. :D However, I don't use Greyhound. In fact the last bus line I used was Continental Trailways!

As for Amtrak, again I haven't seen it out here, though I've only been using the "Capital Corridor" train (Sacramento-San Francisco) the last several years.

As I said, I prefer to drive.

Wonky

TDI
99.5 Jetta TDI
I'm making it this year! Will be my first and I'm so eager to learn more about my car and see all the other peoples rides!

I have read about the tuners, what about help with injector install? Should I have those installed before I show up and get a tune?

Also, is staying in the hotel a necessity? I understand that it goes to help the site and I'm all for that, but if the rooms fill can I camp? I would personally prefer chilling out in a tent, and there's what seems to be a nice campground 4 miles away.

Again, so looking forward to this I already have the days off!

mrvermin

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Maybe back east, but our Greyhound "station" is a local Chevron station, so there isn't any place for body scanners, strip searches, etc. :D However, I don't use Greyhound. In fact the last bus line I used was Continental Trailways!

As for Amtrak, again I haven't seen it out here, though I've only been using the "Capital Corridor" train (Sacramento-San Francisco) the last several years.

As I said, I prefer to drive.
Do not put it past the TSA to make use of the Chevron station rest room as a Strip Search Booth :eek:

On a side note, I drove into Buffalo from Toronto a few weeks agoand passed through the Lewiston NY bridge crossing. On my way through I was told to pull over to the side and they ended up X-Raying my car :eek:

I thought about asking them for a copy of the X-Ray just so I could put it on my wall :D...... Then looked at them and their guns..... I thought... Maybe not.... :rolleyes:

MrVermin

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Wonky,

Looking forward to seeing you. Of course, we're obligated to meet a certain number of room-nights on our hotel contract, but I think we've been conservative with our numbers and shouldn't have a problem meeting them.

If you want to camp, by all means, feel free... which camp ground are you looking at?

Wonky

TDI
99.5 Jetta TDI
Wonky,

Looking forward to seeing you. Of course, we're obligated to meet a certain number of room-nights on our hotel contract, but I think we've been conservative with our numbers and shouldn't have a problem meeting them.

If you want to camp, by all means, feel free... which camp ground are you looking at?
I've only done a few minutes worth of searching but so far the closest one that I've found is Detroit Greenfield RV Park, looks pretty from pictures but I haven't read enough into it to see what they accommodate to.

I'm taking a 17+ day drive/camp trip through Canada the later half of September and this would be an amazing start to it! I would love to get the car tuned before that, and meet all the like minded people as well of course :)

VeeDubTDI

TDI
When can I make my room reservation?
Soon, I think. I'm dealing with some major events at the moment at work, but I should be able to get the reservations website opened up soon. The hotel is providing us with a private website for room reservations -- certainly makes booking easy! :cool:

I'll let you know when I find out more info.

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
Hello,

Don't limit yourself on distance. Airfare is currently affordable. There are a lot of great cars out there. Fly out then drive back and you're in business. :)

Good Luck,

Scott
I agree! I bought my car in Chicago. I live in Boston. I got a 5 year old car with 38k miles on it for $15,200. It was well worth the drive to get a car that was essentially 2/3 broken in! :):eek::D

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I recommend you check out some of the previous Fest forums to get an idea of what goes on during a TDIFest weekend. Each one is slightly different, with a number of events and activities tying in local flair. :cool:

mrfrankmrfrank

Veteran Member
TDI
Black 2001 MKIV
so guys..... LOOKS LIKE I'M FINALLY GETTING MY JETTA! I've been working hard this past week trying to get my funds organized and hunting one down. I am very excited. If all goes well I will be picking her up and taking her home on Saturday. You can bet I'll be at the fest as well as an extremely active member here now that I have an actual TDI.

oh yes..... there will be pics...

D-Cell_Mekanick

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Honda Civic SE
I'm doing my best to save some vacation time for this. My dad lives in Taylor, so I/my family might have a place to stay, and I could bring him along as hes a car guy also!

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It's been a few weeks without any updates, so I have a couple of questions:

1. With the price of diesel projected to be $5.00 -$6.00 by Labor Day, will this event be canceled?

2. If not, any time frame for when we might make room reservations?

Since this is only part of a trip I'm making, I need to make other reservations/plans. In fact, the start date of my trip is dependent on whether I go to Michigan or not.

I really want to attend this, however.

ARBY

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf Sportwagen - really want a F-150.
Why would it be canceled because of the price of diesel? I'm having trouble making the conceptual leap.