Nissan Juke diesel

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
New addition to the household fleet:
My girlfriend has ordered a Nissan Juke diesel, which we will pick up on Saturday. (got a great deal (32% below MSRP) on it too)
We cross shopped and test drove:
  • Fiat 500x
  • Dacia Duster
  • Peugeot 2008
  • Škoda Fabia wagon
If you guys are interested, I can do a fuel economy log for the Juke too.

PeteZ06

Veteran Member
TDI
E320 CDI
Nice.. Nissan doesn't offer any diesels for us. You Europeans are spoiled with all the diesel options. :)

What size engine is in the Juke?

PeteZ06

Veteran Member
TDI
E320 CDI
And it averages almost 70mpg!! wow!!

I wish Americans weren't so power hungry and able to live with less horsepower and better fuel economy. I think Audi offers 1.6L engines in Europe as well.. I would love to import one of those in a quattro!

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
I think Audi offers 1.6L engines in Europe as well.. I would love to import one of those in a quattro!
The bigger Nissan crossovers Qashqai and X-Trail (=Rogue) top out with 1.6 diesels. (Previous gen had a 2.0 available) - and you can get them with either AWD or a CVT, but not both. (AWD is manual only, FWD comes either way, gassers are seriously exotic in crossovers and therefore FWD only)

Here are a few German-market ads with TV funnyman William Cohn:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWxJYIhhXt0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FDn3DxkVrw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHB5_a4yvy0

jbright

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta DSG
I envy the variety of diesel options available to you. Are diesels produced by all automakers under scrutiny for emissions violations in Germany and other countries in the EU?

Last edited:

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
I envy the variety of diesel options available to you. Are diesels produced by all automakers under scrutiny for emissions violations in Germany and other countries in the EU?
Yeah, many are. And many gassers too. Ford Ecoboosts put out more NOx in city driving than some of the diesels currently discussed.
Apparently the Renault-Nissan K-Type diesel in the Juke is currently getting recalled in some Renault models for a reflash. Their engines run a different, emissions-optimized map if the outside temperature is in the 20°C-30°-C range, which coincidentally is the range the NEDC test cycle is run at during emissions testing.
One of the more interesting things to happen in the early stage of the scandal was an ICCT/ADAC emissions test of 32 recent models. (They used the proposed WLTC test cycle, which vehicles don't recognize yet)
There's a report online on the ICCT website, but it's missing the specific models used. That, with some diagrams on how much the models exceeded NOx Euro6 limits in WLTC, was published elsewhere, I'll try to find it. The WLTC report is a very interesting read anyway, especially the market analysis:

http://theicct.org/sites/default/files/publications/ICCT_NOx-control-tech_revised10132015.pdf

Basic findings:
The average Euro6 car spew out more than 2x the legal limit of NOx in this test (not unexpected, the WLTP cycle is more demanding than NEDC - higher speeds, more acceleration, etc...)

A Spiegel article about the series of emissions test breaks out some per-manufacturer data:
http://www.spiegel.de/auto/aktuell/...ige-wahrheit-ueber-dieselautos-a-1051073.html
The average Volvo (new DrivE engine) were at nearly 15x the limit
Renault: 9x
Hyundai: 7x
Audi: 3x
Opel: a bit below 3x
Mercedes: nearly at the legal limit
BMW: below the legal limit, despite more demanding test

Last edited:

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
Here's also a diagram about various Euro5 and Euro6 models being tested using the WLTC cycle, and how far they exceed emissions.
https://www.adac.de/_mmm/pdf/EcoTest - Stickoxide in WLTC_246818.pdf

Interesting how in some cases, models sharing the same basic engine find themselves at different ends of the spectrum. (Jeep Grand Cherokee vs. Maserati Ghibli, Fiat 500x vs. Suzuki Vitara.
Interesting how the old Euro-5 Volvo V40 D4 (that was a 5-cylinder) has way better real world NOx emissions than the Euro-6 V60 D4 (new DrivE 4-cylinder)

Maybe it's only a calibration issue for some. Heavy optimization for being clean in the NEDC cycle, not a lot of effort spent otherwise?

(This should probably be a separate thread)

jbright

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta DSG
Looks like BMW and Mercedes have no difficulties making their engines compliant. What's their secret? I've read that VW had the option to use the Mercedes BlueTec system starting with the 2009 diesels in the US but it would have added $350 to the cost of each car.

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
No idea, but the current VWs running the EA888 appear to be very good at being low-NOx as well, regardless whether they use a SCR ("Bluetec") system or a LNT.

Diverb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE 6mt
And it averages almost 70mpg!! wow!!

I wish Americans weren't so power hungry and able to live with less horsepower and better fuel economy. I think Audi offers 1.6L engines in Europe as well.. I would love to import one of those in a quattro!
SO says the guy with the bad ass super fast Vette!!!!:D

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
Update: 17,000 km, average still standing at the exact same 5.15 l/100km after a few months on summer tires.
Now that the engine is broken in, it will reach an indicated top speed of 200 kph on a long enough stretch of unrestricted autobahn.

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
Update: 25,000 km. Shift action a bit too notchy, otherwise pleasant. (Will see what the dealer can do about it)
Winter wheels have been powder coated.

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
Always confused when I see UK fuel economy reported in mpg. Is that Imperial gallons, or US gallons? One imperial gallon = 1.2 US Gallons.

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
Always confused when I see UK fuel economy reported in mpg. Is that Imperial gallons, or US gallons? One imperial gallon = 1.2 US Gallons.
It's not UK mpg, we're not in the UK, so why the hell would I use UK mpg?
I'm confused enough with the concept of "miles" and "gallons", so it's enough for me to convert from entirely logical l/100km to US mpg ;)
Update: Juke is now past 10,000 km, fuel economy log says: 5.15 l/100km -> 46 mpg.
This should have resolved your confusion.

Last edited:

WolfsburgGolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
MK VI Golf TDI
Hallo Deutscher 1 Diesel!
Wie magst sie deiner 1er? Und was denkst die auf das VW diesel Skandal hier im USA? Also ich bin auch Deutscher and hat noch viel Familie der wohnt noch im Deutschland und das interessiert mich was andere leute denkst auf dieses situation mit VW.

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
It's not UK mpg, we're not in the UK, so why the hell would I use UK mpg?
Well, you did provide a link to a UK Autoexpress review of the Juke. Which used MPG.

I know you use liters per hundred km. I was referring to the UK written review, which provided mpg data," 67.3 mpg"

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
Hallo Deutscher 1 Diesel!
Wie magst sie deiner 1er? Und was denkst die auf das VW diesel Skandal hier im USA? Also ich bin auch Deutscher and hat noch viel Familie der wohnt noch im Deutschland und das interessiert mich was andere leute denkst auf dieses situation mit VW.
Wir haben ja keinen VW, aber der Juke hatte schon eine Rückrufaktion wegen dem Abgasverhalten...

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
Update: Juke is now at 40,000 km and we are planning to sell it in the next few months (need a vehicle with more space, and *cough* the wife wants to try an automatic...)
We'll be test driving a potential replacement later this week at the Ford dealer...

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
For God's sake, try to convince her to get something less hideous looking(pretty much anything else).

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d

jck66

Top Post Dawg
TDI
12 Passat SE / 14 BMW 535d
Brown isn't necessarily bad - it won't need washing very often. The C-Max looks like a very practical car, which is what you need right now. Congrats!

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
Brown isn't necessarily bad - it won't need washing very often. The C-Max looks like a very practical car, which is what you need right now. Congrats!
Thanks!
I really can't complain. The Toffee Brown looks good next to the BMW's Montego Blue.

There's plenty of room inside:

For strollers...

For IKEA:

Last edited: