Boost/Oil PSI/Oil Temp gauge isntall in CR TDi

Mitternacht

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Tdi Cup Edition 6MT
I figured I'd make this thread as a little how-to since it's hard to find CR TDi-specific stuff for me. I've installed boost, oil pressure and oil temperature gauges in my TDi Cup car.

I went with the Newsouth Mk5 Dashpod, 42DD adapters for the oil pressure sensors and Glowshift for the gauges. I wanted to use Newsouth gauges, but when I called them to see if they can make a white oil temperature gauge to go with their white boost and oil pressure gauges, they seemed uninterested and refused to help me out.

First, I assembled the pod just to get my arrangement to my liking:

Then I test wired the gauges to make sure all was well, which it was. (I know the boost gauge reading vacuum is unnecessary. I wanted a boost gauge that read in bars.)

I removed the factory auto headlight sensor (even though my car doesn't have them, it's a blank) and reinstalled it in the new cluster for that factory look.

I then installed the boost tap, oil temp sensor in the stock drain plug, and oil pressure sensors.

To install the oil pressure sensor, you have to remove the factory sensor, install the t-fitting and adapter from 42DD, and grind a bracket for the hard coolant line for the sender to fit.

The 42DD t-fitting pushes the factory sensor out towards the boost tube, but there is still clearance.

Now for the boost line.

Mitternacht

Veteran Member
TDI
I decided to run it along the factory wiring looms for a nice stock appearance. I also later ran the sensor wires in a similar manner.

It barely reached.

For electricity I just followed Newsouth's guides for installing gauges by tapping the headlight wires, which is a bit of a problem. There's no constant 12V for me to easily tap, so the gauges will never remember what color they were set to when I shut the key off. I'm not too concerned today since I just wanted to get them installed, but later I will add an add-a-circuit to take care of this problem.

And here's the finished product. Enjoy!

kyle_h

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg TDI Execline R-Line
Got the same gauges except volt rather than the oil temp. Didn't realize the pressure sensor is gonna be a pain in the ass. Wonder if there's a way to run a small braided stainless hose to relocate that gauge sensor elsewhere slightly...

Mitternacht

Veteran Member
TDI
Got the same gauges except volt rather than the oil temp. Didn't realize the pressure sensor is gonna be a pain in the ass. Wonder if there's a way to run a small braided stainless hose to relocate that gauge sensor elsewhere slightly...
You can, but it's another $40 for the hose to relocate it.