www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI News/Tech

TDI News/Tech This Forum is for the posting of TDI news related items.

Old July 9th, 2004, 19:35   #1
jmasciulli
Veteran Member

Default Call Goes Out for Speed Limits on Autobahn

http://www.npr.org/rundowns/segment.php?wfId=3262015

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
jmasciulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2004, 21:00   #2
VW Derf
Administrator

Fuel Economy: 5.9L / 100km

I can confirm this. When I was in Germany in June this was first in the newspapers. Polls done at the time were giving a slight edge to those wanting a speed limit on all autobahns.

As a background for those who haven't been there, not all autobahns are without speed limits. Trucks are limited to 100km/h (sometimes 80km/h) and cars with trailers have a limit as well. Also hills, sharper corners, around cities, etc have limits ranging from 80-120km/h. For the rest there a "Richtgeschwindigkeit" (recommended top speed). The Richtgeschwindigkeit is the speed limit where most insurance companies consider you a fault no mater what. I believe some don't even cover you at those speeds.

That said it's a lot of fun cruising at over 200km/h (even in a Fiat Stilo) or looking down at your trip computer and seeing an average speed of 180+km/h I'd venture to guess this may not be legally possible next time I make it to Germany. In comparison most other European countries are limited to 120/h or 130km/h. It has also been stated that there are less fatalities on the Autobahns than US freeways.

Here is another article on this from Germany: www.dw-world.de/english/0,3367,1430_A_1255905_1_A,00.html.

Fred

PS, as you can imagine, my gas Fiat got passed by MANY <font color="red">TDI </font>s ...
VW Derf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2004, 21:50   #3
Philip
Veteran Member

It is the Germans fault for voting for the green party, this is thier wrong doing!

i hope this does not go through
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2004, 22:38   #4
TDIde

Fuel Economy: 6.2l/100km

Yes it's true that there have been calls for limits on the autobahn here, I think that one of the biggest factors to this was sometime last year, there was a man who killed a woman and her child. Apparently he was running at or near 250kph when he ran into the back of the womans car. The autobahn has been changing for the last few years, there are less and less places ( and driving situations ) where you can open it up and just cruise. I find that most of my driving is done in the 160-180kph, the traffic is so heavy most of the time that higher speeds are just not possiable. If the Germans did "limit" the speeds here, I imagine it would be limited to 160kph (France is 130kph)
TDIde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2004, 23:33   #5
Mike_04GolfTDI
Veteran Member

Quote:
Yes it's true that there have been calls for limits on the autobahn here, I think that one of the biggest factors to this was sometime last year, there was a man who killed a woman and her child. Apparently he was running at or near 250kph when he ran into the back of the womans car. The autobahn has been changing for the last few years, there are less and less places ( and driving situations ) where you can open it up and just cruise. I find that most of my driving is done in the 160-180kph, the traffic is so heavy most of the time that higher speeds are just not possiable. If the Germans did "limit" the speeds here, I imagine it would be limited to 160kph (France is 130kph)
I believe the real story is that she saw him approaching fast and she got scared and crashed her own car. He didn't even run into her. It was her own inexperience which lead to the crash... This is just off the top of my head. Maybe someone can find the real story...
Mike_04GolfTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2004, 23:54   #6
Mike_Van
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ~39.0

It used to be that the auto makers in Germany had nearly the political influence of the gun lobby in the US. Has that part of the equation actually changed? Many Germans, like my own grandfather, approached driving fast as a given. He used to tell a story of his client asking not about when he could get there for a meeting, but asking what sort of car he drove.

I've lived there and have driven there a fair amount. Aside from driving really fast being just a little contemptuous of the concept of conservation, in my experience, things start to happen quite fast around you at above 120 mph (200 kmh). It is not a relaxing way to travel, especially if you're pushing your vehicle to it's limits. With roads as crowded with trucks as they are in Germany five days a week, a speed limit for cars makes sense to me. If it's too fast for your insurance to want to cover you, is it worth the thrill? I'll admit it's a major rush to drive fast, but I'm not convinced it's all that smart or safe.
Mike_Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2004, 00:30   #7
jmasciulli
Veteran Member

The audio link to the NPR story talks about the incident. Apparently, there was a man riding her tail at 140 MPH, when she lost control of the car. The rule on the Autobahn, AFAIK, based on what I've read, because I've been there, is when someone flashes their lights and rides up on you, you need to get out of the way. If someone does the same thing on the interstate here in the States, I get out of their way.
Old July 10th, 2004, 00:32   #8
jmasciulli
Veteran Member

I guess it all depends on what you want. I drove from Vacaville, CA to and from Reno on I-80 last weekend, and it was a blast in my Bimmer. The car could take the curves at 80 and I never lost traction. You gotta love German engineering!
Old July 10th, 2004, 09:16   #9
saabguru
Veteran Member

Last time this came up, the German automakers all agreed to speed limit the cars to 250 KPH, instead of the drivers. Maybe we can start a petition as VERY LOYAL buyers of German cars to influence this. It could spread to the Mercedes-Benz, BMW and other bulletin boards.
saabguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2004, 10:14   #10
jscoffin

Fuel Economy: 51/46/42

I could see this coming, I was fortunate to work for Porsche during the early 90's and there had been talk about putting a limit on it then. At that time BMW and Mercedes already had speed limiters on there cars (155mph) but, Porsche still had the pride of the Germans having the right to drive as fast they want to. Traffic was getting heavy back then and was hard to open up the car I had over there (944S2). There were times I could safely drive at 120mph to 150mph, a few times to 170mph, but most of the time with the traffic I was doing 70mph. Don't know how accurate the speedo was, but a couple of time I had it doing a indicated a pegged 270kph and 6500rpm at redline. It was a thill I will never forget. I will be a sad day when they put a speed limit on the last unlimited stretch of autobahn.
jscoffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2004, 10:37   #11
jackbombay
Veteran Member

TDI(s): A4 Jetta
Fuel Economy: 57/43/32

From that audio story it sounds like that notorius crash was totally the fault of the woman, she stacked her car while changing lanes. If you cannot change lanes at 140 stay out of the fast lane, it is really quite simple, she should not have been going that fast because she was lacking the required driving skills, or her car was a POS, either way she was totally at fault.

-Jack
jackbombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2004, 10:49   #12
TDForNow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: (Passat) 41 mpg, avg, (Quantum) 45mpg. avg

It's inevitable. With the added congestion and attitude changes as well as increased in-car distractions, I'm surprised it hasn't come about sooner. Believe me, I'd hate to see it happen, but if they're suffering the same increased lack of consideration and education as we have here, it'll most likely happen. Flash you're lights at some poke in the left lane here now, at best you'll get the finger. At worst, a ticket for "aggressive driving"!
TDForNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2004, 10:56   #13
saabguru
Veteran Member

I think that a completely unsympathetic attitude like yours, bombayjack, does NOTHING to help the case for keeping segments of the Autobahn unlimited. We have all figured out she probably just couldn't hack it. She was somebody's daughter, and somebody's mother, too. Maybe not everyone in Germany belongs on the autobahn.
saabguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2004, 11:24   #14
BleachedBora

Quote:
...Maybe not everyone in Germany belongs on the autobahn.
Isn't that why they have a right lane?
BleachedBora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2004, 11:28   #15
Cincy_Mike
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Avg: 41mpg -- mostly city

Well, they probably have roads running parallel to the autobahns for people who need to travel but can't handle the autobahns..heh
Cincy_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote