Regen

achilles83tdi

TDI
2011 Golf
Quick question

My check engine light came on the other day and I took my car to the dealership. VW dealer called and said it needed a Regen and I would have to pay for the Diagnostic fee along with the Regen which was about $290.00 Is this not included in the warranty?

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Anything that sets a check engine light except the trans is covered by the extended emissions warranty. Print out the paperwork and go back and have a talk with your dealer. There should be no diag fee and they are supposed to provide a loaner if they have to keep the car. You need to learn the warranty document and be able to be civil yet forceful when dealing with stubborn, ignorant service writers.

achilles83tdi

TDI
2011 Golf
Anything that sets a check engine light except the trans is covered by the extended emissions warranty. Print out the paperwork and go back and have a talk with your dealer. There should be no diag fee and they are supposed to provide a loaner if they have to keep the car. You need to learn the warranty document and be able to be civil yet forceful when dealing with stubborn, ignorant service writers.

I called VW Customer care and they said that the I would have to pay for the Diagnostic fee and the Regen. I told them to email that in writing and I have yet to receive that in writing.

KevinGary

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 A6 TDI
Quick question
My check engine light came on the other day and I took my car to the dealership. VW dealer called and said it needed a Regen and I would have to pay for the Diagnostic fee along with the Regen which was about $290.00 Is this not included in the warranty?
Did you get the EPA fix? If so, when did you get the EPA fix and how many miles were on the car when you got the EPA fix? How many miles are on the car now?

achilles83tdi

TDI
2011 Golf
Did you get the EPA fix? If so, when did you get the EPA fix and how many miles were on the car when you got the EPA fix? How many miles are on the car now?

Got the fix done in August 28, 2017 and I had 109,395 miles I’m at 120,300 currently. Confirmed with VW Corp. that I have plenty of warranty left on my vehicle. There’s no reason for Refusal of service.

Last edited:

forrest resto`s

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta tdi auto rc2 2013 passat tdi 2015 passat tdi auto 2011 jetta tdi nav. s'roof..man. dpf delete 1970 GTO JUDGE 520 HP
God these dealers are irritating! You are PROTECTED with the warranty..You have rights relating to the warranty..Do not let them push you..You ARE covered! Get 'er done!

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
For the first time ever, I got a REGENERATION NEEDED warning yesterday. There was no CEL, but rather, a new icon - REGEN NEEDED....granted, I have an AID, so maybe all you get with the standard instrument cluster is the CEL (?)).
(Visiting friends in a small town where, when I do drive, it's only like 2km at a time - argh; I knew that wasn't good, and was hoping I'd have the opportunity to go out longer before this happened, but alas, no.)

Anyway, I was pretty sure what the solution was to go take it for a gallup out on the highway. So I did that and it went away after I shut it down and turned the car back on again. So, if that's all that's needed....obviously you can do that for yourself. And clearly, not worth $290.

But while reading up on that warning a bit later, I read a thing from a VW dealer's website that stated that if you disregard that warning and continue to build up soot in the DPF, it gets to the point where there's to much for the regen to successfully burn off, so then it needs to be taken apart and cleaned or replaced. And it explicitly said that this was NOT covered by warranty.

Now, given the emissions warranty extension and all that, I'm pretty sure you can make a pretty good case that this issue falls in line with that; if your dealer is still reluctant, then (a) try another dealer; or (b) if that's not possible or you get similar resistance, contact VWoA and start ruffling feathers there.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
My bad: Site I viewed to get the 4-1-1 on regen (referenced in my previous post) was from UK, which doesn't have a "dieselgate" settlement to manage.

Regen icon:

If you see that, get out on the highway and keep the revs up in the 2000-3000rpm range for 15minutes or even a bit more.

Last edited:

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Better yet get something to monitor it and drive until it actually completes a regen. Torque or VagDpf will do and an OBDII BT/WiFi connector and phone. If you are short tripping or having issues with this you need to take an active role in ensuring these happen when they need to. Unless you like dealing with the dealer on issues.

ebain21

TDI
2012 Golf TDI 6M
I had the same issue in my 2012 Golf 6MT. P2002. I have CPO and the emissions warranties. The dealer performed a manual regen and said since they didn't actually fix anything, it wasn't covered under the emissions warranty (Which is BS IMO, since it clearly states CELs are covered). The service rep managed to call it a CPO fix so I paid the $50 deductible and they told me to drive it more on the highway and I was on my way. 300 miles later, same CEL. This time I told them to look at the sooty tailpipe and they replaced the DPF, EGR filter and then realized the engine wasn't getting up to temp to trigger a regen, so they replaced the thermostat all under the emissions warranty. The service manager refunded the $50 after I asked them to. No issues since!

flargabarg

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg Lux TDI
That's what I find myself wondering with these sorts of problems. A dealer could have replaced all those parts and not the thermostat, and you would be getting a new set of hardware very soon. I'm glad you have a good dealer who found the cause not just the symptoms.

ebain21

TDI
2012 Golf TDI 6M
I think there was a TSB or something that came out recently regarding the thermostat, otherwise they would have sent me on my way again. I've heard of a few people getting their thermostats replaced recently as well. It would be a good thing to check VCDS or have your dealer check. Root cause is always a good thing to figure out, I'm surprised that's not more of an emphasis with dealer service.

achilles83tdi

TDI
2011 Golf
UPDATE:

So I went to pick up my car and the dealer told me to do the manual REGEN but they reset the computer. They didn't charge me for the Diagnostic fee as a one time courtesy(BS).

Got a call from VW Corporate representative who mentions that they were sorry the regen wasn't or diagnostic wasn't covered. I then ask if my DPF is cracked would VW then cover it? He then told me no due to the fact that the REGEN wasnt done It would be due to outside influence and me NOT maintaining the DPF by doing the REGEN. I ask him if its cracked how do you know that I didn't perform a regen? He just said they wouldn't cover it.

forrest resto`s

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta tdi auto rc2 2013 passat tdi 2015 passat tdi auto 2011 jetta tdi nav. s'roof..man. dpf delete 1970 GTO JUDGE 520 HP
UPDATE:

So I went to pick up my car and the dealer told me to do the manual REGEN but they reset the computer. They didn't charge me for the Diagnostic fee as a one time courtesy(BS).

Got a call from VW Corporate representative who mentions that they were sorry the regen wasn't or diagnostic wasn't covered. I then ask if my DPF is cracked would VW then cover it? He then told me no due to the fact that the REGEN wasnt done It would be due to outside influence and me NOT maintaining the DPF by doing the REGEN. I ask him if its cracked how do you know that I didn't perform a regen? He just said they wouldn't cover it.
Lying thru his teeth.. God these people make me sick.. they HAVE to cover it...by contract/warranty.. ask where in the warranty does it say it will NOT cover it..what a crock of B.S>

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
achilles83tdi you need to find more knowledgeable people and have the court ordered warranty documents in hand and memorized, when you talk to them. Or find another dealer to deal with who is knowledgeable. They have to cover this stuff and they can be forced legally to do so if needed.

You also need to do something to let the car regen in the future unless you want to keep dealing with this. The are things you can use to monitor it and learn to let it regen when needed.