www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal

Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal Discussion around the VW Dieselgate Emissions scandal. Details and news updates can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=448336 This forum is a work in progress depending on requirements, usage, etc.

Old August 19th, 2019, 20:06   #1
bhtooefr
TDIClub Enthusiast
ToofTek Inventor

TDI(s): None
Default Shock judgment in the diesel scandal: VW software update is also manipulated

Knaller-Urteil im Diesel-Skandal: Auch VW Software Update ist manipuliert (wallstreet:online, German)

Translated snippet:
Quote:
Thus, the diesel scandal starts almost from the beginning: The Düsseldorf district court has decided in a remarkable judgment that the software update, with the Volkswagen actually wanted to end the exhaust manipulation, also contains an inadmissible defeat device. With that, hundreds of thousands of diesel owners could now be entitled to compensation.
Apparently the European-market "fix" for EA189s had another defeat device in it, shutting the emissions controls off below 10 °C (50 °F), above 32 °C (90 °F), or above 1000 m (3281 ft).

(I think I got the title translated vaguely correctly thanks to German Wiktionary - Google didn't quite get "Knaller-Urteil" translated all the way.)

A link to the ruling itself, also in German: https://openjur.de/u/2178263.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton Sinclair
It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it!
bhtooefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2019, 20:10   #2
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

I don't know about there, but here some of those kinds of things have been allowed if they were disclosed upfront and had good reasons for doing it. Have to wait and see what pans out.
Old August 19th, 2019, 20:28   #3
bhtooefr
TDIClub Enthusiast
ToofTek Inventor

In this case it's a court ruling that forced a buyback for the plaintiff.

Quote:
It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it!
Old August 19th, 2019, 21:50   #4
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

I'm really not surprised. The hubris flows freely from a bottomless well in Wolfsburg.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2019, 21:33   #5
Daemon64

Fuel Economy: 6211 Miles - Avg on Computer 29.4 MPG
Default New dieselgate???

Saw this article claiming in German court that the cars are still polluting above limits after the fix... what do you guys think? https://www.teslarati.com/volkswagen...-cheat-device/
Daemon64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2019, 12:05   #6
Takuhari

Fuel Economy: Better than yours! ELECTRIC!

I think they still need to resolve the denials or unclaimed within the states. There are still many cars on the road that were either denied or not registered on time. These cars need to be addressed as well or they will still be politing down the roads.
Takuhari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2019, 09:48   #7
tadawson
Veteran Member

There is no legal requireme t inthe US for anyone to have done the mods, so not sure that dog will hunt. Most folks simply did it because thry got money thry didn't have to earn . . .
tadawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2019, 16:03   #8
bhtooefr
TDIClub Enthusiast
ToofTek Inventor

I recall a requirement on Volkswagen's part that 85% of the cars either be fixed or bought back (for either fixing or destruction) - my guess, given that they're not going past the deadlines, is that the 85% target has been hit.

Quote:
Old August 22nd, 2019, 19:33   #9
where2
Veteran Member

The inside of the tailpipe of my wife's post-fix 2013 JSW_TDI is shiny and clean, unlike the pair of 2006 TDIs we had prior to it... I tend to "drive it like I stole it" whenever I get the chance to see if I can get the tailpipe sooted up.

Where does the soot actually go on a 2013 with no DEF system? Is there a DPF, or is the combination of the better flowing head, and different fuel maps sufficient to do away with the soot we saw on the MkIV (BEW) and early MkV (BRM) PD engines??
'04 Jetta_TDI_Wagon_GL 5spd (4 daily) Got Miles... 232k!
'90 Corrado_G60 Pkg_2 5spd (4 fun) Supercharged and half the fuel economy of a TDI!
where2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2019, 03:16   #10
bhtooefr
TDIClub Enthusiast
ToofTek Inventor

Particulate matter was never an issue with these engines, FWIW - all of the US-market 2007+ TDIs (as well as the 2006 Touareg V10 TDI) have diesel particulate filters, and Volkswagen never cheated on particulate emissions. (It is possible for the DPF to physically fail, causing there to be soot in the tail pipe, but that's not cheating, that's a failure.)

All of Volkswagen's cheating was focused on nitrogen oxides.

Quote:
Old August 23rd, 2019, 08:15   #11
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by where2 View Post
The inside of the tailpipe of my wife's post-fix 2013 JSW_TDI is shiny and clean, unlike the pair of 2006 TDIs we had prior to it... I tend to "drive it like I stole it" whenever I get the chance to see if I can get the tailpipe sooted up.

Where does the soot actually go on a 2013 with no DEF system? Is there a DPF, or is the combination of the better flowing head, and different fuel maps sufficient to do away with the soot we saw on the MkIV (BEW) and early MkV (BRM) PD engines??
Soot and DEF have nothing to do with each other. Soot is handled by the DPF filter. DEF is for something else altogether. DEF is one of the key elements of the SCR (Selective Catalytic Reduction) aftertreatment system intended to reduce NOx from the exhaust.

Soot builds up in the DPF filter and is regularly burned off to soot and kept there until replacement.