www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old March 6th, 2019, 13:48   #1
golfere
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 04 golf
Default Actuator Wire Damaged - Code P2564

So my check engine light came on showing code 18996; I checked the actuator connector and it seems there is a slight cut in the wire (see photo) whats the best way to go about this? Assuming this is the problem?

[IMG][/IMG]

Any negative effects to driving it this way?
golfere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2019, 14:27   #2
BobnOH
not-a-mechanic

Fuel Economy: 50/45/35

Not much to work with on the plug end. You can solder in a small section of wire. You can also just cut them right there and dissassemble the plug, if it's long enough just install new Tyco connectors on and slip it back in, not easy.
Won't hurt to drive it.

Last edited by BobnOH; March 6th, 2019 at 14:30.
BobnOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2019, 14:43   #3
ToxicDoc
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2001 Jetta

While corrosion in the wire can trip a fault code, i's intact. You gotta wonder if there's any other places damaged on that wire too.
ToxicDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2019, 16:35   #4
golfere
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnOH View Post
Not much to work with on the plug end. You can solder in a small section of wire. You can also just cut them right there and dissassemble the plug, if it's long enough just install new Tyco connectors on and slip it back in, not easy.
Won't hurt to drive it.

Would soldering and filling in the cut be an option?

The car seems to have some "shuddering" when under a load (uphill) So im wondering if this wire could be the cause for this?
Old March 6th, 2019, 16:36   #5
golfere
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToxicDoc View Post
While corrosion in the wire can trip a fault code, i's intact. You gotta wonder if there's any other places damaged on that wire too.

Well whatever it is its enough to trip up the CEL constantly right away it comes back up when cleared; I will check again if i find anything else on the wires and let you know

Thanks!
Old March 7th, 2019, 09:11   #6
BobnOH
not-a-mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfere View Post
Would soldering and filling in the cut be an option?

The car seems to have some "shuddering" when under a load (uphill) So im wondering if this wire could be the cause for this?
Thought about that, don't think I could do it. The wires too small, when you put the torch or iron to it, the insulation would melt away leaving you with just strands. Maybe if they made some kind of chemical solution.
Old March 7th, 2019, 10:01   #7
Vince Waldon
Veteran Member

SOP is to buy one or more "terminal repair" kits from a dealer...1 foot yellow wires with the right connector factory-installed on each end. You cut them in half (making two terminals), install them in place of any existing terminal with a broken or damaged wire, and then re-terminate the bad leads as required.

Dealer will want to know what connector you are fussing with to make sure you get the right size terminal...IIRC the ones on the position sensor are the small version (probably part of the problem?!)

Sent from my Moto X Play using Tapatalk
Vince Waldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2019, 10:16   #8
BobnOH
not-a-mechanic

^That's the best repair. You will need to disassemble the plug. Getting the correct terminal will save some trouble.
Old March 7th, 2019, 12:32   #9
golfere
Veteran Member

I will look into it and get back to you on what i find; the wires look good the rest of the way so do you really think that little cut causes a CEL? What else could i look into?
Old March 7th, 2019, 13:23   #10
ToxicDoc
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2001 Jetta

Quote:
I will look into it and get back to you on what i find; the wires look good the rest of the way so do you really think that little cut causes a CEL? What else could i look into?
It depends on how much damage there is to the current transmission. If there's enough resistance from the copper getting corroded yes. However, just based on the appearance, I'm not convinced. Regardless, it needs repair, and you won't know until that's done.
ToxicDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2019, 13:31   #11
BobnOH
not-a-mechanic

Quote:
I had that exact nick on one of my wires from IP to ECU. Looked like it came from the factory that way. Passed continuity but threw 2 IP codes and ran bad, intermittent. Took me most of a year to find it.
Old March 7th, 2019, 16:25   #12
Tdijarhead
Veteran Member

I just repaired the same wire, for the same code about 2 weeks ago. Fix it the code should go away.
Tdijarhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2019, 17:22   #13
golfere
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdijarhead View Post
I just repaired the same wire, for the same code about 2 weeks ago. Fix it the code should go away.

Wow thats exciting to hear! How did you go about fixing it?

Did you notice any improvement in driving? (Im still having that shuddering problem and im trying to adjust torsion! From +2.5 to -5.9 nothing seems to fix it so far!)
Old March 7th, 2019, 19:17   #14
Tdijarhead
Veteran Member

I didn’t have any shuddering, that I noticed. I found that the wires had been repaired previously and so I just snipped two of them the purple and yellow and butt connected them back together. It was about 15*F out the evening so I just did a temp fix on them. I’m hoping they’ll hold together till warmer weather.
Old March 7th, 2019, 19:20   #15
Tdijarhead
Veteran Member

I remember you had a bit of a shudder or stutter. I don’t remember what you’ve done to your car in an attempt to fix it. Adjusting the torsion has not made a difference? Then you should probably set it at or near 0.

If you unplug the egr does it still shudder?