VW says AWD SportWagen coming in 2016

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
VW says AWD SportWagen coming in 2016

LOS ANGELES -- Volkswagen U.S. CEO Michael Horn disclosed that VW finally will offer an all-wheel drive version of SportWagen in the U.S.

Called the Golf SportWagen Alltrack, it's not due until 2016 as a 2017 model, Horn said. It's raised about two inches higher than the conventional SportWagen for better ground clearance in challenging terrain, and to give it the kind of ready-for-anything that buyers of all-wheel-drive vehicles often favor.
VW says it'll begin selling the SportWagen next April with VW's popular diesel as the base engine. The diesel already is bought by about 80% of SportWagen customers, but declaring a diesel to be standard equipment in the U.S. is bold, and unique outside the world of heavy trucks.

Lex4TDI4Life

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf-Ute TDI GLS 5spd Manual
I wonder:

1. If this drivetrain has passed EPA emissions testing; and

2. What sort of milage we can expect

Any guesses? :D

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
So if the diesel will be the base engine, does that mean VW will charge a premium for the gasser?

Most AWD vehicles see a 5-10% loss in mpg because of the extra gearing and weight. If the Jetta with the new engine is rated at 45, an AWD version of the GSW could come in around 40. That's about what I am getting now in my 10 JSW. My main interest would be the higher ground clearance to make getting in and out easier.

DieselOx

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Sedan 5sp 342,000mi
I'm in. I will put down a deposit as soon as they let me. Might even keep the Subaru for around town, just put the other 10-15 k highway miles/year on the VW.

THANK YOU VW!

(Ok, for real? I will believe when I'm driving one. We've been here before...)

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW
This might suggest that the SW will have a more normal size fuel capacity and IRS vs Golf TDI.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Dodge now has the ECODiesel (a prior VW name), and VW has AllTrack (a prior Toyota name). How lovely.

Perhaps I'm a spoil sport, but I'll believe this when I see it in the showroom. It does make sense though, many other manf's are doing well selling 4wd vehicles.

-J

Dirtracr95

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta Sedan DSG
I wonder if it will be 4 motion or quattro drivetrain? I will be very interested in a quattro setup. Less interesed in a 4 motion.

otty

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Passat W8=>TDI swap, 4Motion Wagon, PD130(AVF) 6Speed Manual, 2006 Jetta MKIV PD(BEW) Wagon 5Speed Manual
Very cool. I would prefer a Passat wagon version. That's why I paid to have one made ;)

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Not sure what you're talking about - Torsen vs. Haldex? Both have been sold under both names.

This car would have a Haldex based system.

-J

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
I remember when the concept "Sportwagen" was introduced as an AWD with VR6 years ago. We never saw it. I'll believe this new "AWD Sportwagen" when I see it.

conejo_a_cuatro

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS Silver, 2011 JSW Manual - Bought Back. Now 328d Wagon.
Ugh. 2017. We'll all be taking the unicorn-powered Cross-Country TGV before VW gives us a manual diesel awd wagon. Also note, no mention of manual...

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
I was also wondering if their initial diesel AWD would be a Tiguan before a Sportwagen. Possibly even an A3 Quattro with diesel. Looks like they've decided to compete, of sorts, with the 328xd wagon. I'll be interested when I see them in the showroom. :rolleyes:
No thanks. Diesel Tiguan please. Should have come out five years ago.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
Very cool. I would prefer a Passat wagon version. That's why I paid to have one made ;)
x2

Either way, my wife will finally have a TDI on her list. She ended up with a CRV after asking about TDI Tiguan at the VW showroom.

nate0031

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
96 B4 Passat
I wonder if it will be 4 motion or quattro drivetrain? I will be very interested in a quattro setup. Less interesed in a 4 motion.
What Compu_85 said. The brand names 4-Motion and Quattro have no bearing on whether it's the longitudinal Torsen system or the transverse Haldex system. The only thing they indicate is VW or Audi. If the AWD system is on an Audi, it's sold under the Quattro name. If it's on a VW, it's sold under the 4-Motion name.

For example, the Audi A4, A6 etc. use the Torsen system, the Audi TT uses Haldex. All called Quattro. The VW B5-B5.5 Passat was Torsen, like the A4 and A6, although the B6 Passat is Haldex IIRC. The VW Golf R32 is Haldex They are all called 4-Motion. Same systems in all.

I also agree that it'll be the Haldex system if we see it. Some would argue that for the sake of inclement weather, the Haldex system has a leg up on the Torsen. No doubt that'd be a hot topic though, lol.

But to answer your question, no doubt it'll be a 4-Motion system, :p

TDIMeister

TDI
TDI
Nothing inherently wrong with the Haldex system other than it is not full-time, electronically activated and requires 40k mile (IIRC) oil changes at quite some sum of dough.

Torsen is all mechanical, although the newest generations also have increasing electronic interventions like torque vectoring, etc.

Rubiconws6

TDI
2014 Alltrack (hopefully)
I have been waiting a loooooooooooooooooooong time for this vehicle, and unfortunately the wife's van has 187K on it. The odds of it making it another year are not good. But, at least they confirmed the SportWagen will be out this April.

diesel4ever

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2000, black
This sounds interesting.
It would be perfect vehicle for a person approaching retirement (higher seating position w/o penalty in fuel economy) and passed the need for speed. 4 wheel drive is a nice bonus for us in Canada.
90% I will be getting it if it shows up.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I was also wondering if their initial diesel AWD would be a Tiguan before a Sportwagen. Possibly even an A3 Quattro with diesel. Looks like they've decided to compete, of sorts, with the 328xd wagon. I'll be interested when I see them in the showroom. :rolleyes:
My assumption is that VW MAY put the awd in the wagen quicker because it sells better than the tiguan and is already (or soon will be) on the new platform. Tiguan is a few years off on the refresh. Thinking aobut it though, maybe they'll both come out at about the same time. Then you'll have to choose between the AWD TDI tiggy or AWD TDI GSW.

TDIMeister

TDI
TDI
Well, if Mr. Horn is reading this thread, here's the product he needs to bring the North America stat in addition to the Golf Alltrack:

1. Tiguan TDI
2. Plug-in hybrid Jetta and refreshed Passat.
3. Golf GTE/Audi A3 e-tron plug-in hybrid to complement the E-Golf
4. $20k out the door basic TDI Golf/Jetta.

arne487

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Golf TDI, '10 TDI Cup Jetta
It says that TDI will be the base engine.
It says AWD will be available.
It does not specifically say that you can have both at once.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well, if Mr. Horn is reading this thread, here's the product he needs to bring the North America stat in addition to the Golf Alltrack:

1. Tiguan TDI
2. Plug-in hybrid Jetta and refreshed Passat.
3. Golf GTE/Audi A3 e-tron plug-in hybrid to complement the E-Golf
4. $20k out the door basic TDI Golf/Jetta.
In addition to that list, I would still like to see a smaller entry vehicle, such as the Polo or Up. It would be great to have them offered with and without the TDI too.

TDIMeister

TDI
TDI
There should also be product to compete with the Ford Transit for small delivery vehicles. I nominate the Caddy lineup in both windowless panel vans and a passenger mini-minivan (Caddy Life). Both with TDI, of course.

That makes a magic 6-point product plan for Mr. Horn. Thank us when it's done.

scrubber

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI
It says that TDI will be the base engine.
It says AWD will be available.
It does not specifically say that you can have both at once.
right, I thought the base TDI was in reference to the Sportwagon available this next spring, not the AWD version for 2017. Here's hoping, anyway.

madengr

TDI
None
right, I thought the base TDI was in reference to the Sportwagon available this next spring, not the AWD version for 2017. Here's hoping, anyway.
Although since 80% of wagons are TDIs, think they'd be dumb enough to not offer TDI+AWD? I just hope they offer it in manual.

TDI2000Zim

Veteran Member
TDI
VW hat meinen '14 Passat TDiSE getötet.
I second Otty's desire. I'd prefer an ALLTRACK to the tiny SW:

BTW, what will be the price on the AWD SW?

BrentRN

Veteran Member
TDI
Used to have many. Now a Golf TSI.
I just hope they offer it in manual.
I wouldn't count on it. Audi uses DSG now with all their AWD TDIs. It gives the computer more control of traction. Also, I don't remember if VW ever offered manuals in their 4-motion Passats a dozen years ago.

TDIL3dad

Veteran Member
TDI
96 B4, 96 B4V project
I agree with otty and had done something similar -- a B4V TDI modded with all GLX features (minus ABS) and also with a "plus" suspension from a B4 VR6.

I would like to see a Passat TDI wagon with manual transmission offered in the US, but I am not holding my breath.

Not sure why the marketing wizzards at VW USA seem intent on ignoring this niche market.