Bad MAP sensor?

Nil

TDI
2002 Jetta
Hello,

I've recently bought a new to me 02 Jetta. I've been trying to solve a low power problem.

This weekend I changed the oil, oil filter, and fuel filter. I also gave it an elephant hose and drained the intercooler sludge.

I also put in a pressure gauge to see what the boost was doing.

Anyway I gave it a test drive after all of this and noticed the boost going to at least 10psi then dropping to zero. I was able to power off the car, then on and the boost would come back for a short while. I'm assuming that the car was going into limp mode.

I was only out about 5 minutes, on the way back home I started having trouble making the car go over ~1800 rpm. After getting back home I checked the exhaust and it would pour out black smoke when I floored it.

After a couple days of going over everything; replacing the vacuum hoses, checking that I had the fuel filter air purged, making sure the n75 was hooked up correctly... etc I tried unpluging the MAF to no with no change. Then tried it with the MAP sensor; voila, I can now get the RPM to over 3000, though the boost never gets over 5psi

I beleive the MAP was possibly never hooked up to begin with. When I cleaned the intercooler I'm pretty sure I was surprised that the clip was not clicked in.

So could disconnecting the MAP disguise an underlying problem?

Is there anything else I should check before replacing it?

Also, I dont have a vagcom at this time.

If you have read this far I congratulate you for your advanced deciphering skills.

Thanks in advance for any help.