APR Tuning now offering a tune for 2.0 CR TDIs!

TDI
2010 VW Jetta TDI Cup Edition DSG
Tuning gassers ≠ tuning TDI's.
Agreed! Given, I'm a newbie when it comes to TDIs. I guess the main reason I was so stoked to hear that APR released a tune was that I remember how much of an improvement the APR stage 1 ten was on my '98 A4 - it was like a completely different car. I had originally planned on going with the Malone tune after researching it up on the forums but since I had such a fantastic experience with APR regarding my (recently deceased, thanks 'friend' roommate :mad: ) Audi I suppose I'm more willing to jump on board with a company I'm very familiar with even though it appears TDIs are uncharted territory for them.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
1G1CEdition: I think you hit the nail on the head. There are a lot of gasser-gone-diesel guys on here who have owned VW gassers in the past - many of them tuned by the great gasser tuner, APR. I think APR is banking on a lot of these customers returning to them with the new diesels even though APR has very little experience when it comes to tuning diesels.

A number of us have seen tuners grow here on TDIClub, learning volumes of information along the way. Just as gasser tuning history is important for APR's sales, diesel tuning history is important on here TDIClub.

Just my $0.02

storx

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta CR140, 2010 Corvette Z06
I recommend you go with whoever is closest to you.. But i am happy with my setup and i am sure i will be happy when i go big turbo gtb2265vk

storx

Veteran Member
TDI
you need to hurry up and get it done so i can part out what i need from your build and do a 2260 haha < lazy
haha, i just been waiting on stuff to come it.. its been hectic waiting on parts..
just got confirmation today thats some parts i ordered last week are shipping finally....

Canary5.0

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf DSG w/ Tech Pkg. Malone Stage II
I went to a local guru in Joplin, MO for some vcds changes on my 2012 Golf and he told me about the tune coming out. So I asked about it and he said he could give me the 6 hour free trial so i could make sure i wanted to drop the $500 for it. Turns out APR doesn't do the trial on TDI's. Also he couldn't even do the tune because and i quote "because your car is so new the don't have a tune file for it yet." Has anyone else had this issue? He went on to say that he would have to do an extraction to send the ecu info to apr so they could write a file for it. Is this normal?

And yes I am new to TDI's.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Sure. Jeff (Rocketchip) didn't have a tune for my Golf last Spring, but does now. I plan on getting it tuned at some point when we're in the same place at the same time with the right car in tow.

amd is the best

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 VW Jetta Sedan DSG
Got around to running my brothers Cup Edition tonight and I was pretty happy with the results. I am certainly happy I waited it out for APR.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8wmO6y-B0Q&sns=em

Mods are as follows:

Brothers car (camera car): 2010 6mt TDI Cup Edition, Malone Stage 2, PDE DPF delete down pipe, PDE exhaust and AFE intake.

My car: 2010 DSG TDI sedan, APR Stage 1, AFE exhaust (exhaust valve back) and a Neuspeed intake.

The first run we did I got killed like when I ran him back when I was stock and was like damn, this made no difference. Turns out I had the car in stock mode. Switched it to the performance map and was pleasantly surprised.

I am NOT trying to discredit Malone or any other tuners as there are tons of variables here. What I can say is that I am a happy APR customer now on two of my vehicles and look forward to what else they may offer to the TDI community.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Interesting, what gear did you guys start out in?
Sounds like the camera car started out in a high gear at low RPM while DSG probably kicked down.

Last edited:

amd is the best

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 VW Jetta Sedan DSG
I think he was in 3rd and I was in 2nd. I do believe the ratios are different though so its not an even comparison.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
I'm not sure what the ratios are either but it would definitely make a difference. Not exactly an even comparison.

amd is the best

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 VW Jetta Sedan DSG
Racing from a dead start would also not be fair as the DSG is superior.

We'll race again for a better comparison. Either way, he wasn't gaining on me through 3 more gears.

KraftwerkB6

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
AMD: thanks for posting that vid. although DSG VS Man is kinda an issue i dont really care too much about it fact is the apr car seemed faster, pulled away, and did its job.

While it would be cool to get back to back dyno numbers on your car vs his same day, weather, bla bla, seemed to me that the vid did pretty good. Would be nice if you have time to do a 2nd gear, and 3rd gear rolling pulls.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
You should both have another go, starting at 2000 RPM (or as close as possible) in 2nd gear, up to 70 mph, shifting at 4000 RPM. Then we'll see who's really the fastest in an even comparison (as close as it can get with the slightly different gear ratios) in a head-to-head challenge. :)

Charrigan

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta
Dyno is just a number. Real world > dyno.

X2

You cant get a better comparison than that. Do you think every street race is not fair because the gear ratios are different?
If the other car truly made more power you would see him start reeling him in higher in the powerband. Which didn't happen. AMD pulled ahead and stayed ahead.

hkbladelawhk

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf TDI
Hmm, so still begs me to wonder. How safe is the APR tune on the DSG in the long run? Presume the majority of driving is enthusiastic, but after rolling and not off the line.

We'll see when I get it done on Friday morning. Excited and not, it's expensive and I'm gonna be broke after :D, but at least I'll be faster, and when driving slow getting better mpg lol.

Charrigan

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta
The dsg will be fine. There are people with stage 3+ on stock dsg's pushing way more torque and power without issues.

I had a 06 and 08 gti that were stage 2+ on dsg's and I had zero issues. I would sometimes notice the ecu pulling power at peak torque while shifting but other than that no problems.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
The dsg will be fine. There are people with stage 3+ on stock dsg's pushing way more torque and power without issues.
I had a 06 and 08 gti that were stage 2+ on dsg's and I had zero issues. I would sometimes notice the ecu pulling power at peak torque while shifting but other than that no problems.

Are you quoting success with GASOLINE fueled cars in order to assure us about our Diesel fueled cars?

Bill

skramer

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE 6MT
Are you quoting success with GASOLINE fueled cars in order to assure us about our Diesel fueled cars?
Bill
He is quoting success with DSG cars when comparing them to DSG cars...who cares what fuel type is driving that motor, I assure you the DSG does not care if the motor takes gasoline or diesel fuel.

From APR...

You simply don't need a DSG flash if you have full access to the ECU, and know what you're doing. We've proven this for years and it's exactly why we are able to produce over 425 FT-LBS of torque on the 2.0 TSI DSG without a DSG flash.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
He is quoting success with DSG cars when comparing them to DSG cars...who cares what fuel type is driving that motor, I assure you the DSG does not care if the motor takes gasoline or diesel fuel.

From APR...

No difference huh? Where is that BS flag? I need a big one to wave.

Bill

storx

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes but diesel cars make way more peak to rpms down low which is why a lot of clutches that would normally work on a 600whp gti will not work on a diesel because of the torque spike... if u time how long it takes to go from let's say 100tq to 300tq its much quicker then a big turbo gti under 3500 rpms, clutches and I assume dsg hold more in a gti is because once the engine is revving above 4000rpms more of the actual power is being through the gearbox throw I inertia.... maybe I am saying this wrong but after talking to many clutch manufactures this was a common thing when I asked them why x clutch I seen work on x 600hp gti in past but will not work on diesel. Another thing clutch masters brought up was gearinb . If you took a gti and tuned it for 3000rpms peak torque then you took a tdi and tuned it for peak torque at 3000rpms the diesel would slip and burn up the clutch long before the gti cause of the compound pressure on the clutch because of gearing.

DasTeknoViking

Veteran Member
TDI
B4 TDi, A4 R32

I do not agree, I have a 08 Stage 2 and when you load up the motor with moderate throttle of approx 40% load when the trans shifts at 3-3500RPM the trans will lurch/bang into gear as if the ESP kicked in and tried to stop wheel slippage. I actually seen the ESP light flicker. My wife who has no idea the car is modified aside for the "little louder for MPG" BS I feed her.... shes complained to me a few times on the weird behavior the car is exhibiting. Car is on its 3rd Mechatronics unit, and with the APR tune OFF the trans is shifting just fine. I've ran many diff adaptations on it using VAG COM and trust me its NOT the trans but the tune. Its still on the stock turbo which spools up very fast- I would venture to say just as fast as a CR140 TDi.

APR can work their magic into getting around the torque limit of the DSG, but in certain situations the trans exhibits weird behavior that would be eliminated with a tune. That said I think DSG + Turbo car is a match in heaven.

KraftwerkB6

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
plus we need another vid of the brothers going at it, 2nd and 3rd gear pulls, maybe a 4th if you have enough road. id like the see the malone car keep up or maybe beat the apr car by a little so i dont feel butt hurt anymore.

michaelquerty

TDI
2009 Jetta
I should be getting the tune next week. APR has a Baton Rouge and a New Orleans dealer which are <1hr away VS 5+ hrs to Houston for Malone or Revo.