www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)

Upgrades (non TDI Engine related) The place of handling, lighting and other upgrades that do not relate to the performance or economy of the TDI engine. In other words upgrades to your TDI that don't fit into TDI Fuel Economy & TDI Engine Enhancements.Please note the Performance Disclaimer

Old October 11th, 2006, 03:57   #46
alphaseinor

I got the reverse lights wired up: NOTE THIS IS FOR MY 1999.5 Mk4 Golf, Your mileage may vary... you should make sure you have the correct pins and test them by continuity before plugging anything in!!!!

First you will need two paperclips so you can remove a pin from the grey harness...

Since I removed the wiring harness for the transmission control unit, this made a hole in the plenum pass-through... I decided to use the wiring harness for a plug. I cut the wiring harness for the green/black (black with green stripe) and the black with red stripe from the grey connector to match the length to the reverse light wiring. I removed the pins from the reverse light wiring harness and carefully uncrimped the pins, then crimped them back on the "grey" harness...

You will need to push the pink wire hold down on the grey connector out a bit, there are two clips that prevent this from coming out.

You will need to remove the red/black wire from the grey plug and put it into the orange plug, there is only one pin (the second row from the front, in the middle connection). you will need to use the two paperclips to remove the pin. insert the paper clip tips into the plug side of the connector, and push. while pushing, you will need to gently pull on the wire. it will come out eventually with a little love. do not force it, or you will damage the pin, and then you are up a creek as to where to find the pins for this connector.

Verify that the plug works by testing continuity to the reverse positive from the 20 amp plug for the transmission control module... replace the 20A fuse with a 10A and be done with it... I was not able to fully trace down fuse 7 for the backup lights, so I just used the biggest wire I could find.

You may be able to just use the connector with some wire on the original wiring harness and just splice them together... but again your mileage may vary...

Next I get to replace my batteries in my multimeter, and figure out how to bypass the 175 relay. The clutch switch is open when it's floored, and closed when it's "in". so no help there... I'm not a big fan on putting a relay on top of another relay... especially if it has to stay on all of the time.

I put the diesel geek short shifter in, I am very pleased with the results, but unfortunately, I think I broke something other than the pin, there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the pin... it's just very difficult to get from the 1-2 gate to either the 3-4 or the reverse gate... the 3-4 to 5 relay works fine... I'm going to fire it up and see if it just needs a lube job (probably not)... otherwise I get to remove the transmission again, and have it looked at... I don't remember dropping it... it didn't shift hard at the junkyard, or when I got it home... I'm not big on rebuilding my own transmissions... but a 5th gear swap may be in order if it's coming out again.

Last edited by alphaseinor; October 11th, 2006 at 04:03.
alphaseinor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2006, 04:29   #47
alphaseinor

I finally got to trace down some of the connections...

For whatever reason pin 7 I can't get continuity to ground, but I suspect it is a ground lead. Interesting that my previous idea for the reverse lights may be a little simple... but it does work reliably... I still need to hook power up to the relay to see what it does, I can't seem to find any pinouts for the transmission control unit... worst case, I stick in the manual harness and relay.

The relay seems to have a NPN transistor in there, but there doesn't seem to be a diagram for the B C and E connections, so I guess I'll just have to remember how to find base...

Anyone have a pinout for the TCU?

Last edited by alphaseinor; October 12th, 2006 at 13:59.
Old October 13th, 2006, 17:37   #48
alphaseinor

Holy cow.. the logic circuit on this beast is a PITA...

I decided to declaw it...

Now I get to find that pesky desoldering iron...
Old October 13th, 2006, 22:42   #49
alphaseinor

Quite interesting... Since it was a NPN transistor (actually it was four with a ****-load of diodes, resistors, misc regulator junk and stuff...)... it should just need the red/yellow, red/grey, and brown wires connected to ground.

Well... I have a possible solution... I haven't tested it just yet, but I may have a solution... On the bench, it seems to work... The logic circuit is there so the reverse lights don't come on when you try to start the car, and the starter doesn't run when it's in reverse... I think... LOL

Old October 14th, 2006, 12:01   #50
alphaseinor

Well it finally started, drove around the parking lot a little to see how it feels... I'm loving it!!!... now to put in that pesky gaffers tape.
Old October 15th, 2006, 18:10   #51
alphaseinor

Last night I was up until 6:00 AM putting in the gaffers tape, and reassembling the interior. Took it out for a spin, limp mode comes on when it's cold (who knows why... I'll figure that out later). after rebooting the car, holy cow does this thing haul ass... it really feels like my '65 mustang before I modded it... and that was a 4bbl 289. Unfortunately, I had a flat going to church... and the spare (it's full size!) was also flat... so I went and got the spare replaced, and tomorrow get all of the tires done... looking at some Kumho ASX or ASTs...
Old October 15th, 2006, 18:55   #52
Fortuna Wolf
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 36 mix

gods man, That car sounds like a lemon. Congrats on almost finishing the swap!
2002 Jetta Sedan ALH-01M: 2 um Cat FF, Wingnut-3 CCV filter, polyurethane fuel lines, 5 brake light mod, Ventectomy, Polysiloxane vacuum tubing, Pioneer DEH-3800MP w/ KFC-1389ie, Panzer Plate, EGT+Boost+Oil Temp Gauges, Boost Valve, KERMA Line Pressure Mod, LED Lighting, HC-12a refrigerant, Optima 75/35 AGM, .187 nozzles, Hawk HPS pads.
Coming Soon: ESP retrofit, Custom Greasecar.

Wish List: Tow Bar, DSG or CVT transmission, or even a 5 speed manual. To hit 42+ mpg

Fortuna Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2006, 19:11   #53
alphaseinor

Well I found a loose vaccum line to the N75... fixed the limp mode problem... Now I get to put the Boost gauge and the EGT... then RC3... I guess I need to get another set of rims one for the winter, one for the summer... put my victoracers on the summer, and my ASX/ASTs on the winter...
Old October 15th, 2006, 19:16   #54
Fortuna Wolf
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 36 mix

does it snow much in TX?
The boost and EGT guages will be fun. If you have questions about them ask me.
2002 Jetta Sedan ALH-01M: 2 um Cat FF, Wingnut-3 CCV filter, polyurethane fuel lines, 5 brake light mod, Ventectomy, Polysiloxane vacuum tubing, Pioneer DEH-3800MP w/ KFC-1389ie, Panzer Plate, EGT+Boost+Oil Temp Gauges, Boost Valve, KERMA Line Pressure Mod, LED Lighting, HC-12a refrigerant, Optima 75/35 AGM, .187 nozzles, Hawk HPS pads.
Coming Soon: ESP retrofit, Custom Greasecar.

Wish List: Tow Bar, DSG or CVT transmission, or even a 5 speed manual. To hit 42+ mpg

Fortuna Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2006, 19:25   #55
alphaseinor

I think it snow's about once or twice a year, but I go to Colorado about a month out of the year for vacation... Skiing... Gotta love Wolf Creek.
Old October 26th, 2006, 22:47   #56
GdB
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Good?
Default Parts required for Auto to Manual Swap

alphaseinor

First I would like to thank you for taking the time to post all the tranny swap stuff on tdiclub! Excellent!

I will also do this in the near future.

Do you think there are any parts or wiring harness stuff that may make the swap easier? Can the electrical stuff be simplified. It looks like you did quite a bit.

I am getting a kit put together, so I am looking for suggestions as to what I need to get from him. Here is my list:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Parts required for Auto to Manual Swap
---------------------------------------------------
MT - Manual transmission and mounts?
(for sure the rear motor mount (I think it is manual specific))

the plate between the MT and engine

axles (may be different length)

Dust "tins" from engine assembly (there are two)

Flywheel, Pressure Plate, Clutch, Misc., all clutch system parts (including switch)
Clutch Pedal Assembly and Lines

Starter (looks identical...)
Starter cable(s) to battery (not sure if this is needed, but if the starter is in a different place the cables may be different)

all Shifter parts
Shifter Box
Shifter Linkage
All interior pieces that touch the stick shift assembly

all brackets associated with the above parts
any other minor MT associated parts
All Bolts and nuts, clips, brackets, etc...
GdB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2006, 23:47   #57
alphaseinor

The starters look identical, but in fact they are different. everything you need for reverse lights, and to bypass the Park/Neutral Relay is on the TR connector, you don't have to connect the two wires to ground like what I did, they just need to be spliced together (cut and crimp?)

The 12v (green/black) from the TR switch should go to the reverse light switch, the other side should go to the blue/black wire on the TR Switch. Now if it's possible to make a harness (bad IP pump connector???) then that would make it very streightforward. there is not much for differences, and I never hooked up the clutch pedal.

The Axles are actually totally different in type, the manual ones are greased, and easily servicable, the auto ones are sealed at the transmission.

The mount is mostly different, I would get the whole thing just to be sure.

The hydraulic lines (don't forget the clips) Misc wires, connectors, etc...

All of the interior peices are the same, the only obvious difference is the boot and knob. You can remove this without taking apart the shifter, and it will drop right through the bottom of the car. (at least on my car) I got the whole interior console, but kept the original. since yours is the 6 speed, I would suggest the same.

So long as the 6 speed came from a TDI or other 4 cyl, you should be fine for the bellhousing, but you will notice that there are many different types, and some of the 6 speeds will have a higher RPM at cruise (the worst I found was like 3600 RPM @ 75 MPH). Swapping top gears in the 6 speed is also more difficult, but hey if you are autocrossing, then that should be fine on a short course. The diesel loves the tall gears... so I just stuck with the 5 speed... I would probably import one from a junker in europe so it would be cheaper... and have a better highway gear.

I would go inside your floorboard and make sure you have all of the things to hang the pedal from (there are three studs), and if they are not there (they are hidden under the fire retardent panel.), then you will have problems doing the swap... I haven't looked at many automatic golfs/jettas/passat/whatnots to see if they are the same or different. also it is quite obvious if your master cylinder reservour has a nipple available or not.

As for the brake pedal, all of the mk4 golfs I have seen, the automatic has the same pedal as the manual. if not, then that's yet another thing you would have to do that is not covered here...
Old October 27th, 2006, 10:40   #58
GdB
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Good?
Talking Thanks!

Thanks!

That summarizes it well.

It is actually a 5 SPEED.

I am getting the kit from the tdiclub member, "6speed"
GdB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2006, 10:44   #59
alphaseinor

You should be able to match up a connector for the transmission range switch so you can have an easier swap... I think the IP connector is similar, but I haven't tried it... Don't forget to unplug your TCM in the plenum
Old October 27th, 2006, 13:50   #60
Water4fire

TDI(s): 02 Jetta TDi
Fuel Economy: 38

Will any 5 speed work for the swap? My Jetta Auto TDI went last month and me and my mech are gonna swap tranny's, but I was checking to see if any 5 speed will work?

Water4fire is offline   Reply With Quote