www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old October 22nd, 2019, 05:51   #1
DivineChaos
Veteran Member

Default mk6 block heater

Hey guys. As i live up north where it gets cold i am thinking of doing a coolant heater. It can get -50f without wind. But because im cheap i dont want to spend the $ on a frost heater. I was looking into lower rad hose heaters. By chance does anyone happen to know the inner diameter of the lower radiator hose on a mk6 cr 2.0 tdi? I have a 2011 jsw TDI. Thanks in advance.
DivineChaos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2019, 10:40   #2
DivineChaos
Veteran Member

anyone? anyone. Buler?
Old October 22nd, 2019, 20:14   #3
scooperhsd
Veteran Member

This is one of those times we need to tell you to spend the money and do it right. Get the Frost heater - the kits come with all the hoses you'll need...
scooperhsd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2019, 20:21   #4
Mongler98
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Race: 12mpg, Gandma:65mpg

you COULD do a search here, if we dont respond its because there are about a thousand of these threads for each car with a TDI in it.

if your cheap, go buy a cheep car and abuse it or just ghetto rig up a heating blanket and risk a car fire!
Mongler98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2019, 20:30   #5
DivineChaos
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooperhsd View Post
This is one of those times we need to tell you to spend the money and do it right. Get the Frost heater - the kits come with all the hoses you'll need...
i was also wanting to do the lower rad hose heater because it would look cleaner and be far faster to install. same wattage as well.
Old October 22nd, 2019, 21:04   #6
DivineChaos
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongler98 View Post
you COULD do a search here, if we dont respond its because there are about a thousand of these threads for each car with a TDI in it.

if your cheap, go buy a cheep car and abuse it or just ghetto rig up a heating blanket and risk a car fire!
Im not ghetto rigging anything, thank you. I also have looked and did not find the info i was looking for. i did find the size for an older tdi, which is 1 1/4" ID.

A heating blanket? Curious to your thought there.
Im actually working on a propane block heater. Using a modified cordless torpedo heater with a small pump. adding sealing couplers on the heater core lines.
I work construction where plugging in is RARELY AN OPTION. so split the line, plug it into the heater, fire the heater and pump, in 5 min coolant to 80f. reconnect hoses and start-er-up. You see i may be a hack, but i like to think outside the box and use my mind. design things. not just take a pre-made thing and install.
Old October 22nd, 2019, 21:22   #7
Dannyboy
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: All good on the motion lotion

Official VW heater is 03L 965 529, its 550 watts and hose to go with it is 1K0 121 062 B.ill see if I can get number off the upper hose. There is other parts but they are the basic ones to start. I took mine off when I installed my webasto. I did found it was perfect balance between keeping engine warm and not racking up a huge electric bill during winter.
Dannyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2019, 21:40   #8
Mongler98
Veteran Member

if your at a place often enough like a job site with no electrical to warm the cars liquids. Go with a diesel burning heater generator. there $$$$ but they burn next to NO fuel compared to a tank or a normal 60 mile commute and they warm up the engine really quickly, like 30 minutes or somehting. there like $1500 bucks though.

i would not try something as foolish as putting an open flame or whatever you have imagined using a propane tiger torch or torpedo heater.

the alternative is to lug a bunch of batteries around and use an inverter

the reality is, whatever you spend on solving your issue and doing a fairly decent job at some rigged up thing or a proper heater to solve the issue you have, you will end up spending more $ than its worth is saving wear and tear on the car. just let those glow plugs work a bit longer, you can change that in VCDS and getting a cabin heater and running a power source to it so you have a decently warm car in minutes on the inside.

put bandit sign posters over the radiator and swap up to a hotter thermostat.

again, there are MANY threads about this issue
"how to warm up my car when i dont have electrical source to do so" threads all of them point to a generator sort of solution.
Old October 22nd, 2019, 21:49   #9
DivineChaos
Veteran Member

Quote:
if your at a place often enough like a job site with no electrical to warm the cars liquids. Go with a diesel burning heater generator. there $$$$ but they burn next to NO fuel compared to a tank or a normal 60 mile commute and they warm up the engine really quickly, like 30 minutes or somehting. there like $1500 bucks though.

i would not try something as foolish as putting an open flame or whatever you have imagined using a propane tiger torch or torpedo heater.

the alternative is to lug a bunch of batteries around and use an inverter

the reality is, whatever you spend on solving your issue and doing a fairly decent job at some rigged up thing or a proper heater to solve the issue you have, you will end up spending more $ than its worth is saving wear and tear on the car. just let those glow plugs work a bit longer, you can change that in VCDS and getting a cabin heater and running a power source to it so you have a decently warm car in minutes on the inside.

put bandit sign posters over the radiator and swap up to a hotter thermostat.

again, there are MANY threads about this issue
"how to warm up my car when i dont have electrical source to do so" threads all of them point to a generator sort of solution.
the torpedo heater is small. it takes a 1LB cylinder. so its sreally small and will be connected outside the car. there will be copper tubing coiled within the heater. one end has a small 12v pump. attached is 2 hoses with sealing quick connects. it will connect in-line. within 15 min it would have the coolant to opperating temp. I have that design sorted. That is the main reason not wanting a frost heater. so there is a reason for the lower rad heater. I would also make it thermostatically controlled.

So that was the reason for my original question.
Old October 22nd, 2019, 21:59   #10
Mongler98
Veteran Member

so let me get this strait, your going to run one of these

blowing hot air at a copper coil that heats up your coolant via some extra hoses with quick disconnects (another point of coolant loss) ran by a 12v pump from your car battery for 30 minutes?
sounds extremely risky and overall a bad idea. so your going to let this go while you work elsewhere or are you going to baby sit this IN THE COLD AF for 30 minutes??
seems like if you walk away from this, your risking a lot, not to mention the hassle of transporting all that junk with you to and from.
Old October 22nd, 2019, 22:18   #11
DivineChaos
Veteran Member

Quote:
so let me get this strai
will have no coolant loss because they are hydrolic couplers, they self seal. the pump draws 2ah and will be powered off the unit vua a voltage step down unit. It only needs to rin 15min max. And this is the unit. it uses a 1LB tank and a 18v battery.https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....AC_SL1000_.jpg

Last edited by DivineChaos; October 22nd, 2019 at 22:24.
Old October 22nd, 2019, 22:19   #12
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

Get a battery blanket heater. That's all you really need. The common rails start fantastic in the cold. It's a frozen battery or gelled fuel that will strand you at -50.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2019, 22:28   #13
Mongler98
Veteran Member

At $10 a tank, 40 for a battery and probably what? $100 for the tool? Seems like your going to spend less with a actual 100 Ah AGM battery and a 12v heater pad on the oil pan.
Old October 22nd, 2019, 22:28   #14
DivineChaos
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobrick240 View Post
Get a battery blanket heater. That's all you really need. The common rails start fantastic in the cold. It's a frozen battery or gelled fuel that will strand you at -50.
Ive installed a second battrery and a fuel filter heater thats got a thermostat.
Old October 22nd, 2019, 22:48   #15
DivineChaos
Veteran Member

Quote:
At $10 a tank, 40 for a battery and probably what? $100 for the tool? Seems like your going to spend less with a actual 100 Ah AGM battery and a 12v heater pad on the oil pan.

where you getting your propane from? thats cheap for a 15Lb tank, This heater takes the one pound spin on tanks. like a buddy heater. And i have ryobi battteries, and the heater. I also have dual batteries in my tdi and a fuel filter heater. Im trying to lessen the wear on startup. Because here in northern mn, -10f is normal. i have seen -50f. have you started your tdi when its -20f without it being plugged in? I travel for work, staying in hotels during the week. so when i said plugging in isnt an available option..... Ill show you when its complete. Im sorry you cant see the engenious and inventive idea this is. the coils can also be removed so the heater can still be used. Look up the RYOBI 1+ CORDLESS HEATER.