www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Power Enhancements

TDI Power Enhancements Discussions about increasing the power of your TDI engine. i.e. chips, injectors, powerboxes, clutches, etc. Handling, suspensions, wheels, type discussion should be put into the "Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)" forum. Non TDI vehicle related postings will be moved or removed. Please note the Performance Disclaimer.

Old August 12th, 2019, 15:55   #1
AWD-TDI

Default Clutch needed for 200-250hp daily driven ALH TDI

I just acquired this little gem in the rough and I need to put a GREAT clutch in there that will last and hopefully not slap around like the current unit.

This has the 225hp audi tt 6MT and AWD. What clutch should I be looking for? Audi TT clutch? TDI clutch? Some combo of the two? Are the trans input splines the same on the tt trans as the stocker?

If anyone has some specific recommendations I would very much appreciate it. Looking for the best possible option. I strongly favor an option that simulates the DMF and operates quietly.

What about the flywheel? I know single mass is a must. I believe the unit in there now is very lightweight which kind of sucks for low RPM take off performance but I can deal with that as long as the other performance gains are worth while.

Thoughts ? Opinions? Ridicule ?

Thanks

Ps the old owner says he has a 500ft lb capable clutch in there that lasted about 50k. Maybe it's a fine choice and was just abused... currently the clutch slips in the power band and is not long for this world.

Anyone have experience with the south bend 425+ ft lbs endurance clutch or the DKM twin disc?

DKM is super nice and maybe the only clutch that will handle the abuse and also not rattle... Not sure of the rattling tho. Will it rattle with a single mass flywheel?
AWD-TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2019, 17:42   #2
Mongler98
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Race: 12mpg, Gandma:65mpg

South Bend clutch, Enduro stage 2 with a lighter 14lbs flywheel. winner combo. was putting 230 down to that baby with no issues.
Mongler98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2019, 17:50   #3
Yourbuddysatin
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 32-35mpg

Call or email southbend and see what clutch they would recommend.
Yourbuddysatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2019, 08:51   #4
AWD-TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongler98 View Post
South Bend clutch, Enduro stage 2 with a lighter 14lbs flywheel. winner combo. was putting 230 down to that baby with no issues.
Did it rattle at idle? I sure would like to get rid of that annoyance.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
Old August 13th, 2019, 08:52   #5
AWD-TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yourbuddysatin View Post
Call or email southbend and see what clutch they would recommend.
I emailed them weeks ago no response. They may not know what to recommend since it's got the audi tt 6MT on it? I will follow up.

Old August 13th, 2019, 10:42   #6
mrchill
TDIClub Enthusiast
Super Secret Diesel Ninja Vendor
w/Business number

Location: MASS! home of THE WORLD SERIES CHAMPION RED SOX! x 2!

Idparts.com carries those kits in stock.

If you were traveling at the speed of light, and you turned your lights on......would anything happen?

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?

You will get NOTHING! And you WILL be GRATEFUL!
mrchill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2019, 12:54   #7
Yourbuddysatin
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD-TDI View Post
I emailed them weeks ago no response. They may not know what to recommend since it's got the audi tt 6MT on it? I will follow up.

Hmmm maybe call then. I would think by now someone had done something along these same lines as your set up. If not then maybe a custom set up. I have used southbend for everything diesel and not one problem from them.
Old August 13th, 2019, 16:13   #8
AWD-TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yourbuddysatin View Post
Hmmm maybe call then. I would think by now someone had done something along these same lines as your set up. If not then maybe a custom set up. I have used southbend for everything diesel and not one problem from them.
Wellllll turns out they did email me back and I missed it. So am going back and forth now. Will advise what comes from it. Hoping to avoid having to take car apart to figure out what clutch it needs before ordering new one. Down time is a pain. To complicate things the internal gears were swapped with a newer tdi 6mt set for better highway rpm. No clue what is actually in the case or spline count etc. I'd be real surprised anyone could tell me with confidence what will work but still hoping. Maybe all spline counts are the same across all possible options?

Joy of custom car building

Old August 13th, 2019, 17:02   #9
Yourbuddysatin
Veteran Member

It’s either a 2.5 trans or 2.0 trans from a mk6 that has super long gears for being gas. I’m 99% it’s a 2.0 gear box. The 5ft gear is longer than 6th on a tdi trans. I’m just not so sure about swapping gears from a newer gear box into an older Audi trans.
Old August 14th, 2019, 17:25   #10
AWD-TDI

South bend got back to me saying I need the 1.8T audi clutch with 23 splines. Call me superstitious but I plan to take it apart and then order parts. Not getting warm fuzzy feelings that this is a certainty and dont want to mess with returning a clutch across a border. I'll post back when I get it sorted.

Cheers

Old August 17th, 2019, 01:21   #11
adamss24
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 35-45mpg

Its best to do that, you dont want to find out that your new clutch isnt anything like the one you've just removed ! I would suggest a sachs SRE organic clutch plate and stronger pressure plate- stock like OEM feel with just a litle more pedal pressure...You will need to measure your clutch/flywheel stack to see what it works from their lineup !
adamss24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2019, 20:49   #12
AWD-TDI

Update:

Old clutch looked surprisingly good... I'm guessing once these slip they glaze fast and then it's a wrap... Could probably deglaze, light hone and send it again but decided to go all out...

Got a DKM twin plate 650+ ft/lb capable clutch on order.

Fitment exactly per Audi TT for all parts as recommended by vendor.

Thoughts ?

Old October 22nd, 2019, 20:57   #13
Mongler98
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Race: 12mpg, Gandma:65mpg

that honestly looks just fine. how does the springs and the fork look?
Mongler98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2019, 22:10   #14
ducesrwld
Veteran Member

TDI(s): none

dear lord....650 ft-lbs capable clutch on a daily driver you nuts? I've got a SB think they used to call it stg 3+ good for 425-450 from recollection and I wouldn't want anymore on the pedal than where its at and I pound 100 miles a day. if I were you i'd dial the powerband up the hill a little add hp and dial the torque back as that is what really tolls the diesel engine. but hey just my 2 cents. as most people say big power and DDing don't go together I tried blending my setup as middle of the road as possible to make it work.
Old October 22nd, 2019, 22:38   #15
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

Twin disk setups are usually not great daily drivers. The clutch is either fully engaged or disengaged- feathering a twin disk is very difficult. So they can be fairly herky jerky.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote