www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal

Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal Discussion around the VW Dieselgate Emissions scandal. Details and news updates can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=448336 This forum is a work in progress depending on requirements, usage, etc.

Old October 15th, 2019, 19:48   #1
foggedz

Default Engine running poorly during higher throttle after fix

I virtually never floor my car, but every once in a while itís required. Today I tried to merge into fast moving traffic, and needed to put the throttle down about 75%. The engine shook violently, would not accelerate, and felt like it was going to die. Since the fix this has happened to me multiple times.

I looked in the rear view mirror and saw a little white smoke that briefly came from the tail pipe.

Has anyone else had issues with the motor braking up at high 75% or more throttle?
Old October 16th, 2019, 08:36   #2
andreigbs
Veteran Member

Almost sounds like fuel starvation. How many miles you been running the crap that Illannoy calls diesel? It's biomass-based biodiesel up to 20%, all over the state at almost all D2 pumps unless otherwise labeled.

That aside, it's a good idea to DAILY floor it. The Italian Tune-up is a great thing.

When's the last time your fuel filter was changed?
1997 Jetta TDI // 317xxx miles // 44 MPG - sold
1986 Golf Diesel // 224xxx miles // 48 MPG - totaled
andreigbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2019, 12:25   #3
jerrymander
Veteran Member

VW manual says that B5 or below is required for the common rail engines, so it wouldn't surprise me if the engine is detecting some kind of knock or other issue if you truly are running B20. This kind of knock would only be present at higher engine loads and the ECU would compensate by... starving the engine of fuel.
Old October 16th, 2019, 13:07   #4
foggedz

I will have to take a look at the pump where I get my fuel. I always fill up a gas station that is near the highway that has a diesel specific set of pumps. There are lots of semi's and delivery trucks that use these pumps, so I figured the fuel gets use frequently.

The fuel filter and oil was changed when the fix was done. About 8,000 miles ago.
Old October 16th, 2019, 14:40   #5
jerrymander
Veteran Member

Note that personally I don't think B20 would cause this problem, but if you brought the car to them for warranty work they would try to weasel out of it by saying this.
Old October 16th, 2019, 16:46   #6
forrest resto`s
Veteran Member

drain the tank and fill up with REAL diesel..LOL! Really..
forrest resto`s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2019, 19:26   #7
mu3098
Veteran Member

I think your problem might be related to the intercooler icing problem. Condensation (water) builds up in the intercooler and when you need to accelerate/require more power than you normally use it get sucked into the engine causing loss of power, the engine to run rough (or die) and steam coming out of the exhaust.
Old October 17th, 2019, 10:23   #8
andreigbs
Veteran Member

Not likely to be icing just yet in Rockford, IL.
1997 Jetta TDI // 317xxx miles // 44 MPG - sold
1986 Golf Diesel // 224xxx miles // 48 MPG - totaled
andreigbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2019, 08:17   #9
Uberhare
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Too many.
Fuel Economy: Depends on what I'm towing!

We get the occasional stutter at highway speed since the fix. The DSG update actually is nice, it starts much nicers off the line. Ours was all or nothing before the fix and felt like it was hesitating.
Old October 22nd, 2019, 13:17   #10
foggedz

I took a look at the fuel pump I get gas from and it says the fuel can be between 5-20% biodiesel. I will have to look around, and see if I can find a place that sells 5% only.

As far as the intercooler icing does it have to be cold out, or if there was water in the intercooler would it still cause a problem? I'm pretty sure there was a fix completed on the car to take care of this. I have not had an issue before. The engine running ruff doesn't seem to be affected by the weather.

The DSG tune contributes to the problem IMO. The car seems to shift into second gear even if you are just trying to creep forward to take a look into an intersection. Then you go to take off from a 1 mph roll, and find the car has already shifted into second. Next thing you know your WOT to avoid getting run over by a semi.
Old October 23rd, 2019, 23:19   #11
mydecember1985
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggedz View Post
I took a look at the fuel pump I get gas from and it says the fuel can be between 5-20% biodiesel. I will have to look around, and see if I can find a place that sells 5% only.
Good luck. Most pumps aren't labeled at all.

Looks like the Flying J stations around your state are all B12-B15.
https://pilotflyingj.com/fuel-prices/
Down here in FL, RaceTrac and WaWa are the only 2 stations that carry B5. RaceTrac has it labeled on their pumps. I had to call WaWa and wait 2 weeks for a response, but I finally did get confirmation back from them.

Everyone else in our area is clueless. Even the drivers delivering the stuff don't have any specs on their sheets. I caught 3 drivers delivering to Shell stations and Circle K. No idea.

mydecember1985 is offline   Reply With Quote