Max clearance hitch

Shaffer22

TDI
2012 Golf TDI
Looking to add a hitch to my Golf and looking for the most clearance I can get. I will be using it for a bike rack. I saw a Golf R about a week ago that had a nice set up and looked like he had the rear plastic trimmed around the receiver portion of the hitch, the way it was set up he didn’t lose any ground clearance. Is this possible with our cars and what mods would need to be made?

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Looking to add a hitch to my Golf and looking for the most clearance I can get. I will be using it for a bike rack. I saw a Golf R about a week ago that had a nice set up and looked like he had the rear plastic trimmed around the receiver portion of the hitch, the way it was set up he didn’t lose any ground clearance. Is this possible with our cars and what mods would need to be made?
i actually made my own. cheaper and much stronger, with the benefit of being 2" receiver. even installed a euro 7 pin hookup. and just got helper bags that i have to install. i regularly haul 300+ pounds in the back. i added the hitch so i could get a rear basket to keep stuff out of the back, also will mod it to lash my hogs front tire on for towing.

Last edited:

Reinout

TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen
I have the Torklift hitch that @dandywriter suggested AND Airlift 1000 helper bags. I went with the 2" option as it allows me to use the bike-rack I already own and all my other vehicles use 2". I don't have a height measurement, but it sits neatly in my rear bumper that I did have to mildly trim out.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
I have the Torklift hitch that @dandywriter suggested AND Airlift 1000 helper bags. I went with the 2" option as it allows me to use the bike-rack I already own and all my other vehicles use 2". I don't have a height measurement, but it sits neatly in my rear bumper that I did have to mildly trim out.
The one i made starts at the seam of the rear bumper. where the lower valiance snaps on. I should have made it slightly higher. but i am hoping the bags bring the ride height back where it should be. (about 3" higher)

Drclaw

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
I went with a torklift 2" hitch and tow spring setup.