www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal

Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal Discussion around the VW Dieselgate Emissions scandal. Details and news updates can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=448336 This forum is a work in progress depending on requirements, usage, etc.

Old October 18th, 2019, 21:49   #46
deezelpower
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ~38 Jetta, ~23 Q7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbospool View Post
Just wondering if you have any further experience to share with us?? Mine is rattling every day... annoying.

Still same. I changed the oil and filter myself at 40k and we're just about 45k now, and the last free maintenance coverage, so I'll bring it up yet again. I hate to think it's normal since we had it well over a year with no sounds at all. And it's had high iron in the oil since day 1 so it's likely unrelated to that.
deezelpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2019, 18:03   #47
bioburner
Veteran Member

Mine with 140k has been rattling on warm/hot starts for the last 20k mi, rattling goes away after 2 secs.

Seems all of the rattles are on the ‘13 and later engines with 2 chains. Anybody have a ‘12 or engine with 4 chains that rattles?
bioburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2019, 12:47   #48
Jase82

TDI(s): Audi Q7

Has anyone got any videos of their noise? My Q7 has been rattling on start, sometimes when cold, sometimes when hot. In the middle of trying to get it sorted under warranty. But I have a feeling their going to try and brush it off as not being a problem or make up that its something else just so they're not paying $5k to fix it. As far as im concerned theres nothing else that will make that noise.
Mine is a Dec 2012 built MY13 model. Unsure if it has 2 or 4 chains.
What are people thoughts? Here's what mine sounds like

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/r1nxwctft...SOEeCu18a?dl=0
Jase82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2019, 17:30   #49
bioburner
Veteran Member

That’s the same noise I experience. MY ‘13-15 Q7 is engine code CNRB, 2 chains. I have a higher mileage vehicle, rougher example that I’m not prepared to spend the >$5 on something that *might* lead to catastrophic failure. I brought it to dealers attention during warranty visits during pre-settlememt “bridge” warranty period and after. I gave up after maybe three visits when it started doing it periodically.

I’m not aware of it causing any fault codes for anyone so with just a sound...I wish you the best of luck getting them to cover it under the “long block” item of the emissions warranty. If my grenades, I’ll certainly take it to the dealer with a copy of the warranty and a good mood ready to litigate it with them.
bioburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2019, 01:34   #50
Jase82

I'm in Australia, we don't get the extra emisions related warranty unfortunately, it's just covered under a statutory warranty on all dealer used vehicles. I know from experience on other cars I've personally replaced chains on that there's not much else it can be, chain, tensioner. Unless the dealer I bought it from (Not audi) have run the wrong grade oil or something in it causing a longer time to build up oil pressure. Really don't know, the dealer has the car at audi so will wait and see.
I've read so much mixed information about it, from these engines are bullet proof, to the timing chains and tensioners being replace and the noise still being there so not really sure what to make of it. I'd argue it's not normal operation, as I'm sure they don't do it from factory...
Old November 15th, 2019, 14:57   #51
bizzle
Veteran Member

I would not expect them to make this noise fresh off the factory assembly floor since there is no wear at that point. They will wear over time and I would not think it unnatural for some noise to occur due to that (normal) wear.

Unless I'm missing it, there hasn't been a single incident of pre-emptive replacement of this generation nor has there been any adverse affects from VW's refusal to replace them.
bizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2019, 15:54   #52
Jase82

I understand that. I Probably worded it poorly, obviously there's no wear when their new. And mine is definetly not be. But to suggest that a chain has worn to the point of rattling, sooner than a timing belt would require changing is normal operation ....
The most recent timing chains I've done myself, on my other vehicle lasted from new to 250,000km before I heard a rattle. So why would it be accepted that its normal for these to do it at 80,000km?
Like I said previously I read so much contradicting information, I've also read people getting confused with 3.0 v6 gas engine vs tdi when complaint about the rattle.
If it makes the noise and that's it, and it'll go 'forever' then fine. But doesn't seem right to rattle loud enough to hear from inside the house.
Old November 15th, 2019, 15:59   #53
Jase82

Anyway, it's under warranty, I'll see what they say. Can't hurt.