www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal

Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal Discussion around the VW Dieselgate Emissions scandal. Details and news updates can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=448336 This forum is a work in progress depending on requirements, usage, etc.

Old August 7th, 2019, 06:55   #1
DanB36
Veteran Member

Default "Emissions Service Action 23Z8" for 3.0L Gen2 PC

Got a letter over the weekend from Audi notifying me of this "service action", "to reduce soot accumulation related to the oxygen sensor." It appears to involve replacing and relocating the O2 sensor, replacing the DPF and diesel oxidation catalyst, and a software update. They claim this "will not adversely impact your vehicles drivability, features, fuel economy, or warranty coverage."

Anyone else heard of this? Know anything further about it?

"DanB36 seems to be always on point." - CT_White_SRT
Sold: 2000 Jetta GLS TDI, Atlantic Blue, 270k miles
Sold to Dieselgate: 2 x 2013 JSW, 2013 Jetta Sedan, 2014 Jetta Sedan, 2015 Audi A3
DanB36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2019, 07:28   #2
Mythdoc
Veteran Member

Yes, there’s a thread in the model specific discussion and others at other forums. Have you had any faults related to the O2 sensor? I haven’t, therefore am in no hurry to have this work done.
2011 Touareg TDI (sold back, May 2018); 2015 Golf TDI S (totaled, Oct 2018)
Mythdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2019, 10:37   #3
DanB36
Veteran Member

I haven't scanned with VCDS, but I haven't had the check engine light come on at all, or really any other trouble since I did the fix nearly 30k miles ago. I'll look for the other thread--I'd just expected it to be mentioned here due to the Dieselgate connection.

"DanB36 seems to be always on point." - CT_White_SRT
Sold: 2000 Jetta GLS TDI, Atlantic Blue, 270k miles
Sold to Dieselgate: 2 x 2013 JSW, 2013 Jetta Sedan, 2014 Jetta Sedan, 2015 Audi A3
DanB36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2019, 19:13   #4
Dr Chill
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2016 A8L TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythdoc View Post
Yes, there’s a thread in the model specific discussion and others at other forums. Have you had any faults related to the O2 sensor? I haven’t, therefore am in no hurry to have this work done.
Ditto
2015 Camaro Z/28
Dr Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2019, 06:42   #5
2014AUDIA6TDI

Default Emissions Service Action 23Z8 - AUDI sending 1 part per week

received the same 23Z8 Emissions Service Action letter from AUDI in July. I went to the dealership twice, they do not have the right part to complete the actions.
I contacted AUDI 2 months later through CHAT.
Their official response is:
"I regret to hear that you have not been able to receive the repair. It was brought to my attention that 1 part is allocated to the dealership per week."
I pushed this issue further, and they responded:
"there is only one part per week allocated to our Audi dealerships. We are not able to expedite parts from Germany".
In the meanwhile, the Check Engine Light is on again. This is the fourth time in the last 18 months, since they reprogrammed the engine to complete the original emission "repair" .
Since then, the engine is sputtering with significant power loss when cold and driven at 25 miles per hour. Very disappointing for an AUDI.
At the speed of 1 part week shipped to dealer and possibly 500 vehicles in the backlog, they might fix it in 10 years!
Did anybody receive the same feedback?
What is AUDI USA doing about this?
Any thought or feedback to resolve the situation?
2014AUDIA6TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2019, 09:15   #6
Mythdoc
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014AUDIA6TDI View Post
received the same 23Z8 Emissions Service Action letter from AUDI in July. I went to the dealership twice, they do not have the right part to complete the actions.

I contacted AUDI 2 months later through CHAT.

Their official response is:

"I regret to hear that you have not been able to receive the repair. It was brought to my attention that 1 part is allocated to the dealership per week."

I pushed this issue further, and they responded:

"there is only one part per week allocated to our Audi dealerships. We are not able to expedite parts from Germany".

In the meanwhile, the Check Engine Light is on again. This is the fourth time in the last 18 months, since they reprogrammed the engine to complete the original emission "repair" .

Since then, the engine is sputtering with significant power loss when cold and driven at 25 miles per hour. Very disappointing for an AUDI.

At the speed of 1 part week shipped to dealer and possibly 500 vehicles in the backlog, they might fix it in 10 years!

Did anybody receive the same feedback?

What is AUDI USA doing about this?

Any thought or feedback to resolve the situation?

You think there are 500 PC class eligible TDI’s serviced at your local dealer?
2011 Touareg TDI (sold back, May 2018); 2015 Golf TDI S (totaled, Oct 2018)
Mythdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2019, 12:42   #7
Daemon64

Fuel Economy: 6211 Miles - Avg on Computer 29.4 MPG

I got the letter a while ago and was one of the first to report it. I put my name on my local dealer list a they got my parts in this week and I am scheduled to get it done on 10/5. I've read three different reports of people getting it done. 2. Said they noticed no difference and 1 reported it had more power and drivability compared to it pre the orig fix. So no harm, no foul, just get your free DPF, noc sensor and O2 sensor.... and make them give you a loaner to hang out with for the day.... hahahhaha
Daemon64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2019, 20:56   #8
Beeej259

TDI(s): 2015 Q5

Daemon- any update? Do you notice less lag?
Beeej259 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2019, 22:57   #9
Beeej259

TDI(s): 2015 Q5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon64 View Post
I got the letter a while ago and was one of the first to report it. I put my name on my local dealer list a they got my parts in this week and I am scheduled to get it done on 10/5. I've read three different reports of people getting it done. 2. Said they noticed no difference and 1 reported it had more power and drivability compared to it pre the orig fix. So no harm, no foul, just get your free DPF, noc sensor and O2 sensor.... and make them give you a loaner to hang out with for the day.... hahahhaha
Any update here?
Beeej259 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2019, 10:08   #10
Daemon64

Fuel Economy: 6211 Miles - Avg on Computer 29.4 MPG

Sorry for the delay. I have put around 500 miles on it since the fix and ultimately yes there is a little less lag. About the same fuel economy, but it seems to be struggling less atleast. It also cleared all the readiness monitors in a few hundred miles whereas before I'd gone a few thousand and still couldn't get some of the monitors to pass.... so that's good news. At the very least it feels to have a little more power.
Daemon64 is offline   Reply With Quote