thermostat replacement ALH

unorganizedplan

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW Highline w/DSG ; 2003 Jetta ALH w/5spd
OEM replacements seem to work best. If the 'stat is working correctly I'd leave it be.
Ok gotcha, maybe I'll leave it be unless I need to get into the cooling system for TB change or frostheater install, and just do one big drain and refill of coolant while performing the other work.

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
These both lock into the OEM housing?

These are warmer than OEM? Do you tend to have better luck with one or the other (or OEM)?
They're both listed as 195F/90C
Yes they fit the tabs. One is in each of my cars. They've only been in for about a year, so....
They're so cheap I'll probably change them out with every timing belt from here on (along with the coolant temp sensor).

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
I think the thermostat has been stuck closed for quite a while on my 03. A few weeks ago during a heat wave, I noticed it running about 2 tics above straight up (has never deviated). Turning on the heat immediately dropped the temp.

I noticed the fans hadn't kicked on so I tested them - all good (AC doesn't work, but fans do, compressor is confirmed bad). I figured there was no way I could drive this thing with the thermostat closed without really overheating it, but apparently I could. Lower radiator hose cool to touch even when the CTS was reading 210+ so the fan switch never got hot and forcing the fans on did nothing. New T-stat and it's good to go. Hopefully it still warms up as quickly as it used to :)

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Highly recommended! Like everyone says:
1. use genuine parts,
2. clip new thermostat into new housing with new o-ring
3. have no regrets.
In the past six months, I've received TWO OEM thermostats from my local dealer (about four months apart), which refused to open at the proper 87C; both were stamped "87C".
The car ran at almost 100C (212F instead of the usual 190F) out on the freeway, and was pushing past 104C as I was going up to local ski hill in sub-freezing weather.
(This was on the cooktop at a measured 95C or so - defective OEM on the left):

The most recent time, they didn't have another one in stock, so I got a Mahle thermostat instead, and it hooked onto the neck/holder just fine...and worked properly.

Last edited: