Strange noise while driving - bottom engine cover

AGOODHI

Veteran Member
TDI
MKVII GSW, MKVI Golf
On my way home from work, I noticed the engine sounded different and louder at certain speeds. At speed, it sounded like wind noise, but when I slowed down I heard scraping noise. Drove home 15 miles and when I pulled into my driveway, I look underneath and see the back side of the engine cover dragging on the ground. It was only held by some tabs up front. Screws along the side look to be lost.

How many total screws are supposed to hold the cover in place? Are there any screws on the front side? I'm going to try and pull it off tonight, so I can drive it tomorrow to work.

Has this happened to anyone else?

AGOODHI

Veteran Member
TDI
MKVII GSW, MKVI Golf
So I was able to remove it by pushing on the tabs up front. I count 8 missing screws (with no screws on the rear side of the cover?). Car only has 1500 miles on it. Debating on whether I should take it into the dealer, or just buy the missing screws.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Take it to the dealer, rub their nose in it.

There should be about 8 small torqs up front/side and 3 larger ones out back holding the rear of it.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
One of the perks of dealership oil changes. Multiple screwups. :)

Last edited:

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
^^^^THIS!^^^^^ Hopefully they will repremand the dork that left out the rear screws and it won't happen again to some one else. Otherwise, the lazy/stupid tech will continue on doing the same. At my dealer, one of the tire rotation jockeys did not secure my hub cap properly and it flew off later that evening. I went back and told the service writer that she owed me a hub cap. She promptly ordered me a new one on her tab and also gave me a free oil change coupon for my trouble. Complain but be civil.

Last edited:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I've not had that problem with service at the dealer but almost always when somewhere else did the oil change. Worse was on the 03 Passat where they lost the front screws so the belly pan could also be used for trash pick up. Maybe my dealer sucks the oil out through the dip tube.

To OP, yes, take it back to the dealer and have them find the bolts that are supposed to be there.

Last edited:

AGOODHI

Veteran Member
TDI
MKVII GSW, MKVI Golf
Taking it in this Friday. When I took delivery, I asked if the oil was changed and they said "yes", but GM mentioned they don't have a record of it (I asked to see work order). I guess they did something, since the under tray wasn't securely fastened. I need to look again with more light, but it looks too clean under there like the oil was never drained.

I think the under tray also lost its insulating/dampening material. We'll see if they replace the tray, or just reinstall the original one.

--Ry

AGOODHI

Veteran Member
TDI
MKVII GSW, MKVI Golf

There should be about 8 small torqs up front/side and 3 larger ones out back holding the rear of it.
Thanks for the confirmation! All screws were lost :eek:

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
I think the under tray also lost its insulating/dampening material. We'll see if they replace the tray, or just reinstall the original one.

--Ry
On my 2010 JSW and on my 2014 Passat the sound deadening was molded into the plastic....little square pillows of plastic or such. Not something separate from the belly pan.

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
They changed that on the Mk7 i believe its flat now with a little felt section.

Scroll down and take a look at the MK7 pan, granted that one is from a euro TSI, so the NA TDI may be different. All I can say is the Alltrack has that GRP heavier plastic pan shown.

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8532

viking427

Veteran Member
TDI
VW
Very common for the dealerships to leave screws/bolts out of the splash pans. Check them out and hold them accountable.

AGOODHI

Veteran Member
TDI
MKVII GSW, MKVI Golf
well, stealership installed orig undertray with new screws/bolts, but would not replace the tray even though insulating/dampening material was ripped away. had to talk to service manager, but they said they can't warranty it (as expected, they wouldn't confess to improper torque of screws/bolts; they blamed it on impact even though there were no signs of it!). it was pointless trying to explain an impact would show signs of broken tabs, cracked tray, etc... no more oil changes at that place for me.

i think the worst part was they put a long scratch on the top of my rear bumper from pulling out the undertray from the trunk!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad: now i need to get that fixed

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
...I think the worst part was they put a long scratch on the top of my rear bumper from pulling out the undertray from the trunk!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad: now i need to get that fixed
You need one of THESE. I just ordered mine today. They're on backorder, but NGP is putting an order together for next month.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
well, stealership installed orig undertray with new screws/bolts, but would not replace the tray even though insulating/dampening material was ripped away. had to talk to service manager, but they said they can't warranty it (as expected, they wouldn't confess to improper torque of screws/bolts; they blamed it on impact even though there were no signs of it!). it was pointless trying to explain an impact would show signs of broken tabs, cracked tray, etc... no more oil changes at that place for me.

i think the worst part was they put a long scratch on the top of my rear bumper from pulling out the undertray from the trunk!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad: now i need to get that fixed
That's rich. As if an impact would somehow unthread the fasteners. :rolleyes:

AGOODHI

Veteran Member
TDI
MKVII GSW, MKVI Golf
You need one of THESE. I just ordered mine today. They're on backorder, but NGP is putting an order together for next month.
looks nice. let us know how it works out for you! i think no matter how careful i am, that area will ultimately get scratches.

not sure how much my ceramic pro coating helped? :confused:

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Don't you know that stupid is the new smart? The dealer is just checking to see if your stupid level is low and tried to top it off for free. Talk about going above and beyond.

"Hey Fred, this one is a quart low on stupid and don't forget to overfill it this time".

Almost forgot. at some point some genius will strip out your aluminum oil pan changing oil and expect you to replace the oil pan on your dime.:mad:

I think that what happens is that sometimes the oil change jockey will use an impact to put the drain plug back in.:eek:

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI

So the dealer first messed up, and when called out about their mess up, they tried to fix it and then they mess up again! For the win.