2015 TSI Golf drivetrain disconnects???

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
This is why I always get a chuckle out of folks that think that parting ways with their TDI suddenly means they will not ever have any problems. A substantial chunk of my paycheck over the last few years has come courtesy of that EA888 family of DI turbo gas engines. And it seems like everything they successfully improve/fix on them is followed up with some new problem they didn't even have before. Just crazy. And for the record, my 13 year old 220k mile 170hp "1.8t" engine has never once left me stranded. The older stuff was SO MUCH better in that regard. :(

As a schmuck who bought into the EA888 1.8t in the Alltrack, not because I thought it'd be cheaper to maintain, mind telling other things you've been seeing to pad your paycheck?

I've heard of intake clogging, but not a whole lot more than that.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
As a schmuck who bought into the EA888 1.8t in the Alltrack, not because I thought it'd be cheaper to maintain, mind telling other things you've been seeing to pad your paycheck?
I've heard of intake clogging, but not a whole lot more than that.
Well the older versions of that engine family went through about five timing chain tensioners/guides before they finally found one that seems to hold up reasonably well.

The crankcase breather pressure regulator thing is a constant issue, and if you don't catch them right away they'll blow the rear main seal to pieces. And the rear main seal itself is about the cheesiest cheapest lame design I have ever seen. Just a piece of stamped steel with a little lip made on to it, and that lip comes off.

And if the rear main seal doesn't blow completely apart, the front seal may leak too. And those are almost impossible to replace without distorting the front cover, which is also a piece of stamped steel, so you usually end up having to replace the front cover. Which is tricky, because these engines employ the most asinine crank pulley design I have ever seen, with a bunch of ridges on the front of the crank sprocket that lock into the pulley... but when you take the pulley loose, the chain tensioner wants to cock the sprocket off to the side, which can cause it jump time, and then you get to tear the whole front of the engine apart. :rolleyes:

The did at least change the breather regulator, but changed does not necessarily mean fixed.

Ignition coils of course, as usual. The newer design changed the coils finally, so instead of outright failing, they glue themselves to the engine and break upon removal. Oh, and they cost twice as much.

Then the chronic worn out sloppy wastegate linkage on the BW turbochargers causing low boost DTCs under high load demands, because the wastegate no longer is able to shut 100%.

Previous gen intakes were ALWAYS going bad. So much so, that they extended the warranty on them. Of course, they have to come off a lot either for the intake ports gunking up so bad the engine runs like crap OR to access the crappy water pump assembly that is buried underneath there that loves to spontaneously crack and start spewing coolant out the front of the engine.

The intakes have been changed, too, but again... improved? Who knows.

Then the newest ones they added a plastic oil pan. So if you thought the aluminum ones were fragile, LOL.... running over an empty cardboard box on the highway is enough to punch a hole in one. We've already seen several. And the cheesy little quarter twist plastic drain plug is a joke. Seriously, how long do they really expect those to last?

Pretty sad when you have 1/4 million mile 2.slo cars running around that have NEVER had ANYTHING done to the engine proper, just normal scheduled PM, and we are already having the newer engines that couldn't even make it to 100k without something major breaking. Getting tougher and tougher to be a Volkswagen fan. :mad:

surfstar

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf & Passat - sold | 2016 GSW TSI
^sounds like most of those are items from '14 and older engines?

I hope they worked out most issues by '15-16+...

I believe the drain plug is supposed ("by the book") to be changed at each oil change - I reused mine once and have extracted all the other times.

oilhammer

TDI
The new style was starting to get phased in in the 2014 model year. Easy to tell them apart: the old style has a metal can oil filter and the new style has a plastic cap/cartridge style oil filter.

The longitudinal engines (which is just at the Audi brand here) have some other differences and change times too. And they never did get the plastic oil pans, still using the stamped steel type.

And yes, most of the problems I would associate with the older version. But that is not to say one way or the other if the newer ones are better or worse. All we know so far is that they are different. Good news is, since the problems on the older engines were VERY common, it would seem the engineers could have easily isolated and addressed the root causes and corrected them in the newer design.

oilhammer

TDI
It figures they'd have to change something, now that they seem to have gotten a pretty good all around package from the 2.5L 5cyl that the "new" 1.8t replaced. This is common with a LOT (most) manufacturers. They improve and perfect something, or at least as close to perfect as something man made could be, then dump the whole thing and start over.

So anyone that bought a 2.5L A6 Golf, NCS Jetta, NMS Passat, or Beetle in the last couple years they used those, they got a pretty dog gone good engine that should provide some pretty good service.

VAG's infatuation with 88mm bore spacing, though, will mean that any engine of less than about 2.2L of displacement is going to require a turbocharger to stay in line with what consumers expect... or get a 5th cylinder. Since they seem to have pushed aside the I-5 (something they have had in some form or another since the late '70s), and cannot make an inline 4 cyl that large given the physical constraints of 88mm bore spacing.

It is all fine so long as it is durable. There seems to be an argument as to the advantage of small(er) displacement turbocharged engines vs. larger displacement non-turbo engines. Since VAG has never made a large displacement 4 cyl, there is no alternative for them besides the 5th cylinder.

MykieA

TDI
2015 Golf TSI
Oilhammer, I really appreciate your help and knowledge, thank you, I haven't gotten the car back or heard from the dealer. I have to say this, the car isn't redlining it's being asked to move and the tach is stopping at 4200, 4500- 5500 and the car lunges in a violent manner I have a video and will load it as soon as I can for all to hear and see. We in many Eastern states have 65 to 80 mph speed limits and it's quite scary for a person to have to get outta the way or merge with traffic up an acceleration ramp. In the beginning aka my OP I did say red line as that's where I noticed it when I had to tromp on the gas pedal. Now, you cannot be sure where it will happen and only after minimum of two hours driving. Regards, and thank you. Mike

PS guys I feel much better knowing all of you are so responsive on these boards.

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The new style was starting to get phased in in the 2014 model year. Easy to tell them apart: the old style has a metal can oil filter and the new style has a plastic cap/cartridge style oil filter.

The longitudinal engines (which is just at the Audi brand here) have some other differences and change times too. And they never did get the plastic oil pans, still using the stamped steel type.

And yes, most of the problems I would associate with the older version. But that is not to say one way or the other if the newer ones are better or worse. All we know so far is that they are different. Good news is, since the problems on the older engines were VERY common, it would seem the engineers could have easily isolated and addressed the root causes and corrected them in the newer design.

Thanks, I was specifically talking about the Gen3 EA888 which has an IHI IS12, and does have the black plastic oil filter cap, so fingers crossed.

I am nervous as the selling point of the Gen3 selling point was the lightening an thinning of the crank case walls, claiming 2mm as being amazing. :eek:

I'm guessing another 2-3 years before the real issues start to show their head.

oilhammer

TDI
Yep, Honda tried to see just how thin they could make some of their engine blocks, too. Which resulted in a whole boatload of 8th gen Civics getting new engines on Honda's dime via a warranty extension. Seems a lot of those start weeping coolant right out the front of the block casting.

Of course, in my opinion the 8th gen Civic is a turd lump compared to the older ones. :eek:

On your new EA888 engine, one thing to keep in mind is to be very careful in dealing with the oil filter cap. They can easily break if overtightened. And you may want to pull the ignition coils loose now and put some silicone paste lube on them so they do not stick to the engine. Not sure how quickly that happens, but maybe you can prevent it.

Last edited:

MykieA

TDI
2015 Golf TSI
Dealer report; Cause Internal Failure GFF / Guided functionss
BK Fuel Unit, B Washer, Control Un
Electronic Fuel Pump R&R
Fuel Pump Control Module R&R
Technical Check
Test Drive
Test Drive...................................All at No charge.
Recalled Water Channel Repair K.............for my sunroof
All at No charge.
60C7 UPDATE ......I don't know what that is
Loaner Car 3 days 2017 SE Golf ..........road noise loud in the SE if you asked me, my SEL is much quieter and I noticed the transmission, although could be my imagination, is much smoother in the 2017.

Customer has Video........Performed extensive road test.
P008700 code stored in ECM Contacted Tech line Removed Rear Bench and attached gauge to fuel line reader. Road test and monitored high/low fuel pressures could not duplicate concern Road tested and turned off.
Customer states it will happen when driving vehicle 150 to 300 miles.

Reydel VW very nice people very accommodating and they did one heck of a detailing job on my car in cleaning it. Tires to paint to interior.
Customer has video.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
On your new EA888 engine, one thing to keep in mind is to be very careful in dealing with the oil filter cap. They can easily break if overtightened. And you may want to pull the ignition coils loose now and put some silicone paste lube on them so they do not stick to the engine. Not sure how quickly that happens, but maybe you can prevent it.
I've read about coil pack lead issues sticking, I'll try and source some silicone paste, again only 5K on the clock.

As for the oil filter, I'm used to the tdi oil filter caps, 25mn or so and I'm aware that o ring is radial sealing, tightening it anymore than hand tight is overkill.

Thanks for the advice.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
I doubt you'll find anything. VCDS is a good investment regardless, but I'm sure the ONE thing the dealer DID do was check the TCM for DTCs.

I am betting you are experiencing the TCM's response to what the programmers overlooked as a possible driving scenario.

Unfortunately, the more fancy automatic transmissions get, the more goofy things happen. They try to anticipate too many things, try to "think" too much, and thus have countless maps in their programming. Which is why SO MANY of them get software updates. And when you have a German car, with an engine primarily designed for use in America (or at least this version of it), bolted to an Aisin transmission (which is majority owned by Toyota) and who knows who made the TCM, could be Denso, could be Hella, could be Magnetti-Marelli, and that has to talk nice to the Bosch engine controller... it is easy to see why Volkswagens are so much better with manual transmissions.

Unlike some other VAG automatics, I do not think the Aisin boxes allow for a recoding to rid them of the awful adaptive shift logic nonsense, either. Which not only makes them erratic, but once the valve body starts spazzing out (and if past history with that transmission is any indication, it is not a case of 'if' but 'when') it gets REALLY crazy.

Next one I get in here I will see if I can look at coding changes. You may try that (easy to change back) and see if something changes/improves, assuming you even can.
Are the dsg in '15 German/vw? Or knock off?

Sent from my One using Tapatalk

oilhammer

TDI
Are the dsg in '15 German/vw? Or knock off?

I do not understand the question. A 2015 VAG product using an 02E DSG would have the transmission come from the same German plant that all the 02Es have always come from. I do not think they ever moved or added production of the 02E anywhere else.

But a 2015 VAG product using an Aisin transmission will have had its unit come from Japan, same as always, and that is NOT a DSG.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
my understanding I thought all vw had.... Vag everywhere... So that explains why you wouldn't understand my question.

Apologies