Sweet! Time to start ordering stuff.

Fastbird

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL, 2015 Sportwagen SEL
Those aftermarket pinch copper nuts are total garbage. They cause the stud threads to gall up when you try to remove them. I throw them straight into the trash and either use OEM or some hardware store stuff.
I gave them a shot and they tightened down OK, so I'm going to leave them be for now. Future reference, yeah, OEM or I'd do stainless hardware in the future.

Turbo is 100% bolted in. Working on cleaning the intake manifold now. Summit hosed me (no pun intended) with the wrong PTFE hose again. Trying a third time now.

Fastbird

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok, hoping someone sees this......I split the manifold open in order to remove the flappers. Accidentally dropped in and broke the arm off the vacuum actuator. No biggie. So now I'm looking at the flapper setup and wondering if it's possible to remove the ENTIRE rod assembly from the manifold? or should I just rip the flaps out and call it good? Personally, I'd prefer to remove the entire rod.

Fastbird

Veteran Member
TDI
Easy day today. Used a power washer and blasted out the intake manifold to the car. Then swapped the stock shifter linkage from my Golf to my buddies 01 Golf, and took the DieselGeek Sigma 5 off his car to be put on mine.

I'll get some reassembly done tomorrow between other engagements. Obviously I'm behind the curve where I wanted to be in terms of putting it together at this point.

Rick03TDI

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI GLS
Easy day today. Used a power washer and blasted out the intake manifold to the car. Then swapped the stock shifter linkage from my Golf to my buddies 01 Golf, and took the DieselGeek Sigma 5 off his car to be put on mine.

I'll get some reassembly done tomorrow between other engagements. Obviously I'm behind the curve where I wanted to be in terms of putting it together at this point.
You'll love the Diesel Geek Shifter, once of the nicest aftermarket components I have ever installed. Went on and adjusted perfect to the directions, good people to deal with.

Fastbird

Veteran Member
TDI
You'll love the Diesel Geek Shifter, once of the nicest aftermarket components I have ever installed. Went on and adjusted perfect to the directions, good people to deal with.
I'm actually having trouble with that right now. This one is a few years old and the pivot balls aren't moving anywhere near as well as they should (driving my buddies car home to swap shifters on Thursday I could have sworn he had trans trouble because the shifter was so crazy stiff). I've spent the past hour cleaning and lubing them with no improvement. Ended up loosening the locking nuts/bolts so the entire ball moves instead of the arm swinging on the stationary ball.

I have been in contact with James @ Dieselgeek and am awaiting a response from him on this too. He's been helpful considering I am not the original purchaser.

Fastbird

Veteran Member
TDI
Finally. After two mismarked 3 foot boxes of -4 PTFE hose, Summit told me they wouldn't have more until August 7th. Unacceptable. A phone call and they sent me a 10 foot box of the correct hose. So now......FINALLY......my oil feed is done.

I can already say I don't like the 45* fitting on the end for under the filter. The way the PTFE is assembled makes it a PITA to get the angle right. A straight fitting is more condusive, or you use a standard rubber braided hose and swivel fittings. I like PTFE, lol.

So ECU has been sent off for the Malone Stage 4 tune, shifter had to be sent to Dieselgeek for a rebuild (early shifter, steel on steel spherical bearings that were freezing up), and that's about all I'm waiting on. I just need to put the cold side pipes back in the car after the cleaning I gave them, put the 3 BAR map sensor in, and that's really it.

Fastbird

Veteran Member
TDI
Huh, just put it in.......I cut that line at 30" and it's probably 3-4" longer than it needs to be. Not a big thing, but for future reference, if you're making a braided oil feed yourself, you can probably get away with 27" line length and be just fine.

Fastbird

Veteran Member
TDI
More shout outs:

VixmyVw for same day turnaround on my ECU with a Malone Stage 4 tune.

DieselGeek for next day turnaround with rebuilding my Sigma 5 shifter.

Looks like the car is going to be running next week. Deleted those two EGR vacuum switches and associated vacuum lines and reteed existing 3 and 4 way connections to 2 and 3 respectively so I don't have to diddle with caps.

Got the 3Bar Map sensor installed yesterday. Took a minute to figure out "hey, if I unbolt and lift the washer fluid tank, it'll be much easier to get to" thought, lol.

Also had some of the dealer service records show up today. VERY detailed. For example:

10/5/16 @ 223625: Outer tie rods and Alignment on new Michelin tires, Air and Cabin Air filters

7/29/16 @ 219488: Oil change

4/5/16 @ 213595: Replaced thermostat and splash shields (of which the lower is missing sadly)

2/29/16 @ 212045: Oil change

11/6/15 @ 201857: Oil change, fuel filter, brakes (which I'm sketchy on because the car sat for about 9 months), speed sensor replaced, egr pipe replaced.

And the list goes on. Well maintained seems to be the order of the day. I'm waiting on records from a second dealership he also had work done at to complete things. Pretty pleased with the findings so far save for the short oil change intervals, but being a BEW and having the correct oil used, probably a good thing.

mgoff5000

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 2004 Passat (RIP)
Did you swap the clutch along the way here? Stage 4 on stock should be sort of an "event" right?

Fastbird

Veteran Member
TDI
Did you swap the clutch along the way here? Stage 4 on stock should be sort of an "event" right?
Not ywt, but it hasn't gone without consideration. I drive light enough that it'll live for a little while, and my wife is the same. We are not planning on leaning on it or anything. I'll do it for sure obviously, but for right now I just want to get the car running and driveable.

mgoff5000

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 2004 Passat (RIP)
Yeah, the clutch job kinda sucks. I just did mine in prep for Stage 3. I'm glad it worked.
I think I might have scrapped the car rather than wrestle the trans again :)

Fastbird

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm looking forward to it when the time comes. I've been a professional tech earlier in life and somehow never managed to do a transaxle clutch job.

Fastbird

Veteran Member
TDI
According to my wife I have two packages at home (ecu and shifter) So looks like Monday is when it gets buttoned up.

Fastbird

Veteran Member
TDI
All back together! Pretty sure I have that insulation around the battery all kinds of wrong but I couldn't figure it out and got tired of trying, lol.

Starting it up tomorrow (plans this evening otherwise....). Hoping for no issues. Everything went in as advertised.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
Under the hood of mine looked that good when it was new.
Really nice work.
I don't have the patience for it.

Fastbird

Veteran Member
TDI
It lives!!!!! Cracked right to life. Had a slew of DTC's when I did an auto scan, all but one related to battery condition. CEL was on for the Manifold Changeover Actuator open/short which I thought odd because I specified a full EGR delete on the tune (I removed the actuator and everything). Did a full clear of all codes, and the fault still shows up but it doesn't trip the CEL now.

Car is puffing just a little smoke which I believe to be due to accumulation in the exhaust. I cleaned out the intake/cold side pipes very well, and hosed down the intercooler from the top then soaked everything out from the bottom.

Just need to grab some coolant as it lost a bit when removing the EGR (got caught with my pants down, no pinch pliers for the hoses) and it's flashing the coolant light at me.

Fastbird

Veteran Member
TDI
Ugh........how much oil can the exhaust hold. It's had some idle time just in the garage with a tiny big of puffing smoke. Coasted it out of the garage on to the street so I could start it without oiling my driveway down as I left. BUCKETS of oil came out the exhaust, and once it built some heat......let's just say it's dangerous to drive due to the amount of smoke coming from in?

Curious how long that's going to take to burn off. Was planning on waiting until late tonight and driving it some more when there's far less traffic out. But it's freaking AWFUL right now.

Fastbird

Veteran Member
TDI
Just took it for a country road drive. Wasn't hard on it just in case the new turbo was leaking oil. Gave it around 3/4 throttle, felt peppy but not that much quicker than my buddies stock ALH and this is a VNT-17 and Malone Stage 4 setup now......kind of disappointed in it so far. Anyway.....

For one, at 11ish PM on a sunday night, country roads....I can't believe how many people I came across. Felt like a heel because I literally fogged over the northwest corner of my county I live in with the car. BUT......after about 5 miles or so of driving, it simply went away. I could see no smoke behind me all of a sudden. First thought was "well, how soon til the motor siezes?" Fortunately, that wasn't the case.

Got back home, in the garage, and it was still giving me some light idle smoke that I could see in the lights, most likely residual at this point that will simply take more time to burn off. So things are looking MUCH better. Best news is that there are ZERO fault indicator lights or anything showing on VCDS at this point. Everything seems to be in working order mechanically, which is pleasing given the mileage on the car.

BUT wait, there's more! On the drive, my blower motor decided to die. Go figure. Minor thing though, and my current pick and pull has a couple of well kept MKIV's that I can pull one from.

For now, I have two runners in the garage at least.

Last edited:

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Glad to hear it went so well.
Look at it as mosquito extermination. :)
Nice looking cars.
I would check if you are getting boost when you drive.
Stage 4 should be a noticeable increase.

Fastbird

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm going to drive it some more on Wednesday after I replace the blower motor. Will probably do some logging with VCDS then and see if it's making boost. Don't trust it enough to really rail on it or drive it to work quite yet.

Fastbird

Veteran Member
TDI
Blower motor replaced, just had the car out. Still hazing pretty good but just a haze, nowhere near the white out conditions that it was. Going down the road depending on gear and load I might see some haze behind me, and usually get a boil of smoke coming around me as I come to a stop. Sitting in the garage it's just puffing oil smoke out still. Going to start driving it as of Friday for the weekend to hopefully burn most of the rest out. That'll be about 150 miles worth of mixed city and highway driving.

Car DOES have power. I don't even need to data log to confirm that. Now that I'm more comfortable with how it's running I was able to pay attention to how it felt when giving it some gas. It feels faster than my 2012 Passat TDI does now.

But oh my goodness does this need some suspension and different tires. So soft around the corners and I can feel the sidewall roll in the tires.

Fastbird

Veteran Member
TDI
Actually found an "issue". Rear main seal leak. Found a puddle under the car after driving it today. About 6" in diameter. Was thinking the oil return from the turbo because I felt it was suspect when I was putting the turbo in. It's fine, but it's seeping oil beteween the block and bellhousing, and topside is dry. No terrible biggie, it's going to need a clutch in the not too distant future anyway........

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The line is known to crumble when removed, maybe that?
It might be cheap insurance to replace it with the washers.
Maybe check the price on the feed line also.

Fastbird

Veteran Member
TDI
The line is known to crumble when removed, maybe that?
It might be cheap insurance to replace it with the washers.
Maybe check the price on the feed line also.
Eh.....nope. I've already been under there. Bone dry top and bottom side of the turbo (plus I built a -4 PTFE braided hose for the feed line).

Kind of hard to see here because it doesn't line up, but the car is jacked way up on the left side so I could get under it with my creeper. You can see a drop of oil right at the oil pan flange where it meets the bell housing. That's the ONLY place where fluid is coming from.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Maybe check the top from the valve cover and vacuum pump area.
My pump was seeping oil when I didn't replace the o-ring in it.

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
Nice golf! I can't tell from the pictures. Is it grey or dark blue? Either way, its purty.

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
Let's see it in some better light some day. I think that might be my favorite MK4 color of all.

Fastbird

Veteran Member
TDI
I'll put a couple pics up from right before I bought it. It's not great, but presentable. Plan is to have hood, front and rear bumpers painted as they need it. Rest of the car is pretty nice actually. Was sitting outside unmoved for 7-8 months so collected a LOT of grime.

Fastbird

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok, like I said, these were late june right before I bought it. I haven't washed it, touched the paint, anything. Plan is to give it a once over with a polisher just to really see what's good and what's not. Front bumper will probably be replaced (it's cracked on the underside), hood and rear bumper painted at a minimum. AFTER clutch job most likely. It'll do for now.