1-2 gear yanking/pulling???

Jlo

TDI
1999 VW Golf Mk4 1.9L 1896CC 116Cu. In.
What's up gang,

So today I noticed my TDI yanks/pulls (almost as if the car is going to stall) whenever I shift from 1-2 gear. After that, all other gears are fine. There's no grinding noise when shifting or any weird sounds when doing so. I'm not sure if I'm describing this accurately, but it's not normal. Some of the recent maintenance I've done consist of adjusting the parking brake cables only. Also, I think is due for an oil change and tune up. However, I wouldn't think that could cause those issues.

What do you guys think?

igiveup

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat, 2009 Jetta
If it's an Automatic transmission, you may have some issues with your valve body. There are these rubber expansion plugs that absorb some of the oil pressure between gear changes. If they are damaged it could cause a hard shift between certain gears. I'm not really an expert, but this may be a potential issue.

Jlo

TDI
1999 VW Golf Mk4 1.9L 1896CC 116Cu. In.
No, it's a manual transmission. However thanks for sharing, this might be helpful to someone with a similar problem and automatic transmission.

scottw99

TDI
2002 Jetta 5MT
Sounds shifting related. Watch the RPMs when you get into second is there a spike up or down? You could be releasing the clutch too slow or too fast and without enough gas to make a smooth transition.