Mk3 AAZ/AHU 2.0L (81mm headgaskets)

shortysclimbin

Veteran Member
TDI
Kubvan, mk2 golf, mk6 golf
Does anyone know of an oem gasket that will fit for 81mm bores on the AHU/AAZ? I have tried ABA, and AEG gaskets from the gas motors, but the oil and coolant passages dont 100% line up. If not I have a company willing to make some at $250 each if someone else is interested I can look into quantity pricing. This would also work on older 1.6TD and 1.9TD motors for those looking to go to the newer pistons offered.

Mikkijayne

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi S8
I was looking in to this a while back and iirc came up with either Corrado G60 (PG) or 1.8 16V (KR). Those are the right pattern, and I'm sure one of them was the right thickness but can't remember offhand which one. They're both 81mm bore.

shortysclimbin

Veteran Member
TDI
The PG gasket I tried also, but the coolant and oil passages were slightly different in the mls gasket. I have been able to get the price down to $170ea if we order 5 or more... I'll take two... who else is in?

shortysclimbin

Veteran Member
TDI
Nash, sadly no, the oil drain style isn't the same. It would work with an ALH and actually is what I have used for a big bore ALH build in the past.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
if thickness is an issue you coould purchase the correct thickness ahu/1Z gasket and a G60 gasket, delaminate both ... have the 1z/ahu gasket center core milled to 81mm bore then relaminate that back with the G60 outer layers ... afaik the core layer is what determines the bulk thickness ...ie 1,2,3 hole

Mikkijayne

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi S8
PG looks as close as you're likely to get.

AFN top (same as AHU/1Z), PG bottom:

KR for reference

Last edited:

shortysclimbin

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah the PG I fitted up didn't quite jive. It was close, but IIRC one oil hole didn't line up at all and the coolant holes were off and much smaller. I didn't want to cut down on head cooling by using an inferior gasket, especially on a build that is higher power. The thickness is spot on though.

Law_Anderson

TDI
'02 Golf PD130, '97 Transporter T4 1.9TDI (1zVNT, EDC15)
Apologies for the thread resurrection, but was there any advance on head gasket solutions? The PG one is definitely off a bit; the locating dowel sits elsewhere and a few of the oil channels don't quite line up:

Any news on the KR or ABS gaskets?

Law_Anderson

TDI
'02 Golf PD130, '97 Transporter T4 1.9TDI (1zVNT, EDC15)
I have been running a G60 gasket for 30k @ 32psi no issues with my AFN.

I was hoping to run into you! Did you have any alignment 'issues' at all?

I always get a bit funny when things don't match/line up...etc.

shortysclimbin

Veteran Member
TDI
I put the G60 one on and found the coolant holes were smaller and that the oil feed in one spot didn't line up. I ended up getting two custom gaskets made for the car which have the proper coolant flow and some added embossing to prevent leak over from the coolant and cylinder walls in the cyl 2/3 area :).

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
I put the G60 one on and found the coolant holes were smaller and that the oil feed in one spot didn't line up. I ended up getting two custom gaskets made for the car which have the proper coolant flow and some added embossing to prevent leak over from the coolant and cylinder walls in the cyl 2/3 area :).
If I may ask - What was the cost to have the special gasket made and who was your supplier? More importantly - will they do it for anyone else?

shortysclimbin

Veteran Member
TDI
The costs are in the first post. and yes, they will make me some, but you would need to go through me as the template costs and version is under my name. I'm going to ask you to wait though until I can get one on the head and the engine stress tested for a bit with APR studs.

Whitbread

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Several
The G60 gasket in my franken M-ahu has withstood about 30K of sheer idiocy and abuse, so while it may not be a perfect option, it does seem to work well enough.

shortysclimbin

Veteran Member
TDI
Interesting the PG gasket is the g60 gasket.. I have now had three people tell me they have had issues with it and two that haven't anyone have the part number for the g60 gasket that works? maybe.. just maybe there is a factory different gasket.