What did you do to your MK7 today?

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Love the TDI grille badge!

Also, for some reason, all your pictures display upside down on my iPhone 7+.
Thanks! Funny that you mention that, because when I upload the photos, they always show up upside-down in my TDIClub album, so I have to rotate them.

lvfnchs

Veteran Member
TDI
Buyback: Golf TDI 2011 / Now have Golf TDI 2015
Installed window vent visors last night. My first DIY experience and it went pretty well! The dark tint on the silk blue looks great! Considering the blind spot side mirrors. Are they easy to switch out?

Love the idea of the folding mirrors but there's no way I can do that myself.

Also love the idea of the windows going up in the rain, but I don't have the machine that lets you change all those settings. Do you think the service folks at the dealer will know how to do this?

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
Installed window vent visors last night. My first DIY experience and it went pretty well! The dark tint on the silk blue looks great! Considering the blind spot side mirrors. Are they easy to switch out?

Love the idea of the folding mirrors but there's no way I can do that myself.

Also love the idea of the windows going up in the rain, but I don't have the machine that lets you change all those settings. Do you think the service folks at the dealer will know how to do this?
https://youtu.be/gWD1j4gEka0

Nutty 5.0

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW SEL TDI 6MT
Installed the frameless HomeLink/Compass/Auto-dimming mirror last weekend. So nice to have the features.

amitsekhon

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI,,,,,, 2010 X535D Diesel ,,,,,,,,,,,, 2002 Jetta manual TDI ALH (Sold)
Rolled back to pre-dieselgate software.Engine is quieter and shudder at low rpms is gone which was experienced before while accelerating at low rpms.

EGR usage,fuel economy and DPF regenerations with dieselgate fix were monitored before and now after downgrading the software,they will be compared.

Grigg3

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta wagon, 15 Golf wagon
First oil change at 5,000 miles. It's really not that big a job. Did this one on a lift but could easily do it on ramps in the future, probably slurp oil out the top and just change filter from bottom.

Noticed oil seeping from transmission, not a lot but enough I'll have it looked at when it goes to dealer at 10k if not sooner.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
In a burst of energy washed the MKVII GSW.

Washed IBW, too. I think they look pretty good together.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
First oil change at 5,000 miles. It's really not that big a job. Did this one on a lift but could easily do it on ramps in the future, probably slurp oil out the top and just change filter from bottom.
Noticed oil seeping from transmission, not a lot but enough I'll have it looked at when it goes to dealer at 10k if not sooner.
You can easily go 10k + miles on intervals. Don't waste your money on cutting them in half. Plenty of UOAs out there to support that as well.

As for your seeping transmission, manual gearbox? Mine was the same, just seeping a bit and collecting dirt making it not look very new. I have had mine off to upgrade clutch and add a limited slip diff, so was able to reseal the case and have been leak free and clean underneath for 10k miles :)

If that's the case for yours, good luck getting the dealer to fix it as it's likely not bad enough to warrant a fix. But, you'll want to have some spare fluid on hand to top off possibly. It's ~$12/liter I believe for the latest flavor. Part# G052512A2

Last edited:

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
There have been a few reports of leaking rear main seals on Mk7 GTIs. Apparently there are eight bolt holes and VW only uses six bolts at the factory. Not sure if that applies to TDI world.

During clutch upgrades, GTI folks are installing an upgraded RMS and adding the two missing bolts.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
I had worried that I'd see something similar when I pulled the gearbox, but luckily it was all nice and clean behind there. The seeping was definitely a poor seal from the factory where the two case halves are sealed with sealant rather than a gasket.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I had worried that I'd see something similar when I pulled the gearbox, but luckily it was all nice and clean behind there. The seeping was definitely a poor seal from the factory where the two case halves are sealed with sealant rather than a gasket.
Thanks for clarification.

I just did my 10k oil change over the weekend (my 2nd oil change, as I did an OCD :D change when I bought my "new" two-year old car in May; I didn't trust the dealer). No leaks anywhere under the DSG or engine.

The bottom mount filter is an annoyance vs top mount, but it's not a bad change. Just the fact there's a built in drain plug on the filter canister is cool, plus the fact there's a built in hex to ratchet off the canister puts you way ahead of most bottom mount setups.

Grigg3

Veteran Member
TDI
You can easily go 10k + miles on intervals. Don't waste your money on cutting them in half. Plenty of UOAs out there to support that as well.

As for your seeping transmission, manual gearbox? Mine was the same, just seeping a bit and collecting dirt making it not look very new. I have had mine off to upgrade clutch and add a limited slip diff, so was able to reseal the case and have been leak free and clean underneath for 10k miles :)

If that's the case for yours, good luck getting the dealer to fix it as it's likely not bad enough to warrant a fix. But, you'll want to have some spare fluid on hand to top off possibly. It's ~$12/liter I believe for the latest flavor. Part# G052512A2
Yes, but I feel better doing the first one early and plan on 10K here after.

Thanks for the part number and advise. I'll still ask at the dealer, a new car shouldn't leak oil.

Manual, and it's clear oil, not dark like the engine oil (no rear main leak). I suppose a little more than a seep, the belly pan pad was damp under a fully formed drop ready on the transmission case and enough dampness on the bottom of case to attract dirt. In my opinion enough cause to do something about it.

Grigg3

Veteran Member
TDI
Possible, but I don't think that's what I'm seeing. looked to come from low on the transmission case only, not from above, and looked current, not 5,000 miles ago.

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
For those who may be shopping for a roof top carrier and cargo box, I can say that Rhino Rack's 2500 RS and Yakima's ShowCase 15 are a good fit:

These are large roller suitcases that would exceed the capacity of the roof if I were to pack them full...

Yes, I added a VW emblem already: :D

The rack alone is silent at 60mph and only a slight noise at 70-80mph. The box exhibits some noise at highway speeds, but it's not terrible...

Last edited:

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Looks great, Scott. The emblem sets it off nicely. I need to start thinking about options for the GSW; not a cargo box but definitely some carrier bars. The quieter, the better.

lvfnchs

Veteran Member
TDI
Buyback: Golf TDI 2011 / Now have Golf TDI 2015
Thanks again for the video, it was very helpful. I installed the new mirrors last night. I had to do one of them 3 times, but it all worked out. I'm able to move them around with the inside buttons and I attached the wires so I'm assuming the heating will work as well.

What a huge difference! It's a big improvement in visibility. Now I can see much more of what's happening behind me. I recommend this mod! I got the mirrors from eBay so hopefully they'll hold up over time. Either way, it was exciting to do this by myself successfully. :)

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
What did I do to my MK7? Drove my mother to the dealer and bought a CPO GSW. She loves it more than her SUV she had before (which was her favorite vehicle so far). It's our 4th TDI and our 7th diesel (with near future plans to purchase a truck for farm use).

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Did a tire rotation on the GSW yesterday. Never owned a car with a torsion beam in the rear. That sucker is beefy!

One difference I noticed from my GTI and its multilink rear is that I can't jack the whole side (yes, I know, safety na-zis - spare the lecture) from the front lift point like I can with the GTI.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I think that's more of a feature of the stiffer rear bar on the GTI. I can jack one side of my MKIV at a time at the front jack point because it has a Shine rear bar.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I think that's more of a feature of the stiffer rear bar on the GTI. I can jack one side of my MKIV at a time at the front jack point because it has a Shine rear bar.
Gotcha. I'll just have to get used to jacking five times instead of three during tire rotations.

TDIBone

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagon TDI
What did I do? Took the train 200mi/300KMs to go pick up my 2015 GSW TDi Highline from the dealer! What a nice way to drive home on a Sunday, I'll tell you what.
On the way, started fiddling with the nav and thought I accidentally set the destination to my sister's place. Turns out it was the same street, but down a few doors... The previous owner's address! Sis knows them and put me in touch, so I'm waiting for them to get back to me with the stuff they kept before they took the buyback deal (winter tires, roof racks, winter mats).
Also found out that after them and before me someone took the Fender subwoofer *grr*.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Did a tire rotation on the GSW yesterday. Never owned a car with a torsion beam in the rear. That sucker is beefy!
One difference I noticed from my GTI and its multilink rear is that I can't jack the whole side (yes, I know, safety na-zis - spare the lecture) from the front lift point like I can with the GTI.
What kind of jack are you using. My roll around floor jack lifts high enough to get both wheels off the floor to do a front to rear rotation.