Help for identifying an alternator

glasair

TDI
2005 Passat
Hi

I am having trouble finding a replacement for an alternator for my 2005 Passat TDI. I believe it has a 4 groove pulley, but every replacement I see has a 5 or 6 groove pulley. The numbers from the alternator are: Bosch 028 903 031 120A 14 volt 0 124 515 083

If anyone can suggest a source for a replacement, well, your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

pdq import repair

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta
You might want to swap the pulley anyway, especially if it is a clutched one in good condition. VW offers the alternators without the pulley and you use your original or a new replacement.

Number of grooves doesn't matter either if other alignment is ok and it is more grooves than you need. To fit more models the pulleys sometimes come with an extra groove, rather that stock all widths.

If not getting a genuine Bosch reman alternator you are generally asking for trouble. I would rather have a good used wrecking yard original one than a parts house unknown. You might get real practice at alternator swaps trying to find a good one.

zzdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
05 passat tdi Geared BSM and Bewcam 2nd 2005 deleted ,converted and bew cam stage 2 Malone3 tune.
Is there any reason yours can't be rebuilt. Armature shot?

glasair

TDI
2005 Passat
Thanks JB and PDQ for taking the time to respond. I may have to reuse the pulley anyway - on a new Bosch unit. Just figured it would be better to do both.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Bosch reman, although some come with the 5 groove pulley you need for the BHW, some come with the 6 groove pulley like the transverse cars would use. I just keep both pulleys on the shelf and swap them if necessary. Pulleys are not super expensive, and I think I have three of the 5 groove ones that were take offs because it seems the last several I got came that way and they were going into transverse applications, LOL.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
Sorry can't help you. I get my parts at the local wreckers up here in Ontario, Canada.

johnboy00

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon, 2004 Jetta, 2003 Jetta wagon
Talk to Peter noble at IDparts. I got one from them once when they had none in stock. I believe the MK4 or M54 alternator is identical except for the pulley. Simply re-use your own pulley.

Last edited: