Cup Holders

sidsnot

TDI
2014 Jetta Silver, 2000 Cherv Silverado 2500 6.L Vortec
I have changed the front cup holders in my 99 1/2 Jetta two times now this one is on its last legs. Does any body have a alternative replacement as I do not think this is a good design. I am not rough on the cup holder just not up to the job, or does any body have one for cheap ?

tadc

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf GLS TDI, '01, Black
Do you have newest revision (D I think)? Mine seems pretty robust, will hold 2 44-ouncers without spilling (although they don't look terribly secure), hasn't broken yet since 04/01. I understand the earlier revisions were crap.

Alternatively, the newer cars don't have the pop-out (above the radio) cupholders, instead they have a redesigned center console with two cupholder-holes near the e-brake. You might consider switching.

BatmanMN_M

Veteran Member
TDI
gls 2003 black
ya know i wouldnt call it 2 cupholders, unless your including the one in the back, cause that one below the arm rest is kindof useless. again if you dont have a armrest, then it could be called 2 cupholders
my 1.9 cents

childishidealism

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI-PD, 2005, Reflex Silver
what's the status of the two you took out? I am interested in one even if it is damaged, depending on the damage, if you still have it around.

TDIdenver

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 99.5, Black(traded in); Jetta 06, Platinum; Jetta 11, Platinum
My original dash cup holder (99.5 Jetta) the left holder finally crapped out. I think the spring broke. I remember seeing the 'how to' remove and install the new ones here at some point, i tried searching for it, but I could not find it. Anyone have the link to that. And out of curiosity, how much are the new cup holders?

TDIdenver

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 99.5, Black(traded in); Jetta 06, Platinum; Jetta 11, Platinum
Ok, well will the newer style holders fit in my 99.5? Because i know for sure that i have the old ones now, p/n 1J0 858 601.

Ed's TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Bora and 2016 Touareg
Yes the newer D-style cupholoder will fit your 99.5. As to the installation, there are a couple of spring-loaded tabs on either side of the cupholder that you'll need to release (very small screwdriver or pocketknife) and then the whole unit will pull out. The new one slides into place and locks into the tabs. I had to change mine because the cover on the old ones wouldn't accept a faceplate for the dashkit I bought. Unfortunately, I don't know where my old one is anymore so I can't offer it to anyone.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
You can also buy an insert for your console(if you have one) that will hold two drinks. I think it sells for about $15-16