2012 HPFP Failures?....

STRANGETDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Audi A3 S-Line Premium Plus Quattro - APR Stage II
I will soon be getting my 2012 Golf TDI and am wondering if the 2012s will also have this HPFP issue. It may be too soon to tell, but please post here if you have a 2012 and the HPFP has failed.

specsalot

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently none
STRANGETDI - Congrats on making a purchase decision. If MY2012 follows previous years there will likely be failures before the end of the year or definately by the end of Q1 2012.

What we clearly don't know is whether VW has made any changes for MY2012 that help mitigate the low probability HPFP failures. What is fairly certain at this point is that VW has made significant changes to the fuel system (outside of the HPFP) on 2012 Passat TDI's.

You've place the same bet as the rest of us on the longevity of the HPFP's. I think most owners get well past 5/60 without issues. What none of us knows is whether we can expect to get 200k miles without an $8-10k HPFP repair bill. A lot of folks with TDI's follow 'stratedgies' to help mitigate perceived risks due to fuel quality / lubricity. Best of luck following yours. Be sure to post a pic of your Golf. :)

grwoolf

TDI
2012 JSW
I think most owners get well past 5/60 without issues.

I keep seeing people refer to 5/60 coverage for the hpfp/fuel system. IN my 2012 warranty booklet, the fuel system is not covered (which I was suprised to read after buyng the car and assuming 5/60 coverage). Is this a change from 2011?

StewartinND

TDI
'17 328d Sportswagon
The fuel system is only 3/36 however the hpfp is part of the engine and is covered under the power train warranty for 5/60.

IMAAaron

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW - Third time's a charm
I keep seeing people refer to 5/60 coverage for the hpfp/fuel system. IN my 2012 warranty booklet, the fuel system is not covered (which I was suprised to read after buyng the car and assuming 5/60 coverage). Is this a change from 2011?

No change in warranty. You're as religious as the rest. I suspect changes to the fuel pump won't wait for model year changes. Why wait when you can have the customers field test your revisions?

grwoolf

TDI
2012 JSW
The fuel system is only 3/36 however the hpfp is part of the engine and is covered under the power train warranty for 5/60.

From my 2012 Warranty booklet:

The powertrain limited Warranty covers and repair to correct a manufacturer's defect in material or workmanship for the following volkswagen parts and components:

Engine: Cylinder block and all internal parts, cylinder head and all internal parts, valve train, spur belt, flywheel, oil pump, water pump, manifolds, all related seals and gaskets

Transmission: Case and all internal parts, torque converter, all related seals

Drivetrain: Differential and all internal parts, drive shafts and cv joints

I read this as pretty specific and not covering 2 key things: HPFP and electronic control box for DSG tranny. Neither of them would be considered internal parts of the block/head or transmission case. Turbo does not appear to be covered either, although I don't think they fail too often.

I was thinking I'd be better covered for the first 5/60, this is terrible coverage. Shame on me for not confirming what was covered. Is this the same coverage as 2011?

I checked the 5/60 coverage on my 2011 ford truck and it's what I'd expect for drivetrain. Covers fuel pumps, turbo, timing chain/belt, engine mounts, etc. For diesels, they cover pretty much everying fuel or turbo-related for 5/100 ( the diesel engine is very expensive option on a full sized truck, so maybe not a fair comparison)

I knew I was taking a chance getting this car compared to the Honda's we've owned in the past, but figured I was fairly safe from a big bill for 5/60 and then I'd evaluate how many people are having issues and maybe dump the car at that point. Turns out I'll be thinking about that around 3/36 instead.

nj1266

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf
Add mechanical breakdown to your car insurance and that should cover the HPFP pump. I know you should not have to do that, but it is the best you can do from a bad situation.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Add mechanical breakdown to your car insurance and that should cover the HPFP pump. I know you should not have to do that, but it is the best you can do from a bad situation.

This a VERY rare option offered in almost no states.

You guys are reallllllllllllllllllllllly paranoid about this. It's borderline fanatical.

I've serviced sever hundred 09'-10-11' cars and had not a one with fuel pump failure.

In fact I've had several miss-fuelled SEVERAL times with no repercussions other than a tow in for fuel swap out.

glennco

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW DSG
I agree Jason, this forum can drive a person batty thinking about hpfp failures. Guys like IMAaron only make it worse. Sometimes I think the people who are the best off are the ones who know nothing about any of this. They go through life never knowing there are HPFP failures, and are all the happier for it, and their chance of failure is no greater than ours.

ljhooley

TDI
2009 TDI Jetta, 2010 TDI Golf
Ditto Jason. I have not seen one fuel pump failure in a 09-11 Golf or Jetta or A3 either. And we have also merely flushed gasoline out of diesel systems and had no problems. and I have worked at a large, very busy dualed VW/Audi dealership.

Plus 3 Golfer

Veteran Member
TDI
Und tschüss! 2009 Jetta 12/23/2012
From my 2012 Warranty booklet:

The powertrain limited Warranty covers and repair to correct a manufacturer's defect in material or workmanship for the following volkswagen parts and components:

Engine: Cylinder block and all internal parts, cylinder head and all internal parts, valve train, spur belt, flywheel, oil pump, water pump, manifolds, all related seals and gaskets

Transmission: Case and all internal parts, torque converter, all related seals

Drivetrain: Differential and all internal parts, drive shafts and cv joints

I read this as pretty specific and not covering 2 key things: HPFP and electronic control box for DSG tranny. Neither of them would be considered internal parts of the block/head or transmission case. Turbo does not appear to be covered either, although I don't think they fail too often.

I was thinking I'd be better covered for the first 5/60, this is terrible coverage. Shame on me for not confirming what was covered. Is this the same coverage as 2011?

I checked the 5/60 coverage on my 2011 ford truck and it's what I'd expect for drivetrain. Covers fuel pumps, turbo, timing chain/belt, engine mounts, etc. For diesels, they cover pretty much everying fuel or turbo-related for 5/100 ( the diesel engine is very expensive option on a full sized truck, so maybe not a fair comparison)

I knew I was taking a chance getting this car compared to the Honda's we've owned in the past, but figured I was fairly safe from a big bill for 5/60 and then I'd evaluate how many people are having issues and maybe dump the car at that point. Turns out I'll be thinking about that around 3/36 instead.
This is the same language as in my 2009 manual.

The warranty on my HPFP is 5/60. Send an inquiry to VWCC and specifically ask.

The mechatronics unit is internal to the DSG and covered under the 5/60.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
This a VERY rare option offered in almost no states.

You guys are reallllllllllllllllllllllly paranoid about this. It's borderline fanatical.

I've serviced sever hundred 09'-10-11' cars and had not a one with fuel pump failure.

In fact I've had several miss-fuelled SEVERAL times with no repercussions other than a tow in for fuel swap out.
You're also in Wisconsin, where there's going to be less heat, and heat appears to be a factor.

(Then again, the OP is in CT...)

XLexusTech

TDI
2003 Jetta Silver sold 2012 JSW Red
I agree Jason, this forum can drive a person batty thinking about hpfp failures. Guys like IMAaron only make it worse. Sometimes I think the people who are the best off are the ones who know nothing about any of this. They go through life never knowing there are HPFP failures, and are all the happier for it, and their chance of failure is no greater than ours.

thanks for this i am now payig no attention i just bought a 2012 and this helps... if its super rare i dont want to think about it.. it wil ruin my enjoyment

STRANGETDI

Veteran Member
TDI
thanks for this i am now payig no attention i just bought a 2012 and this helps... if its super rare i dont want to think about it.. it wil ruin my enjoyment

True to that. Just signed the paperwork for my 2012 today. Can't wait to get it.
I would still like people to post if they have a 2012 failure though.....if it happens.

Westro

Veteran Member
TDI
I would still like people to post if they have a 2012 failure though.....if it happens.
Not IF it happens, WHEN. Revisions have been made to the HPFP but to our knowledge the cure hasn't been found for the HPFP.:(

I'm suprised it has taken this long. I was hoping this issue would have been solved and VW would have sold two more JSW to me.

Last edited:

Plus 3 Golfer

Veteran Member
TDI
Und tschüss! 2009 Jetta 12/23/2012
Refundable warranty??
My understanding is that if you never excercise a claim under the warranty, you get a full refund at the end of the warranty. So, if you have a potential small claim, you might want to consider paying for the repair yourself and keep the full refund possiblility alive.

Also, most will allow you to cancel the warranty prior to expiration and receive a refund on a prorata basis less a cancellation fee. This may be beneficial if you sell your car prior to expiry.

STRANGETDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Brian,

I understand your concern, even though I love my ALH, it's time to get a new car. I will miss the ALH dearly.
I saw your other posts regarding the cloth seats too....you may have something there.

In regards to the rear sway bar, the 2012 Golf TDI with Technology Package already comes with a sport suspension. It's funny, but that model is considered the flagship of all the Golfs (gas or diesel).

Also, I am done with modding my cars (that may change in the future, after the warranty is expired.) All the mods I have ever done to my ALH still don't add up to what I am getting in the 2012 in terms of power and features.

TDI117

TDI
2012 Golf TDI
Well I just wanted to comment on my 2012 Golf TDI. The dealer is telling me that I had contaminated fuel and as a result have to have the entire fuel system replaced. I have 1800 miles on the car and the dealer is fixing this under warranty. I don't know if this is HPFP related but the car would still run normal. It just didn't want to start very easily. I also asked why not drain the fuel put new fuel in and see if the hard starting problem would go away. They assured me that it wouldn't and that I might have issues down the road. The service guy did mention that the HPFP could have sent small fragments into the fuel system that would cause me more problems. I just wonder if the "water" in the fuel system is a cover up and how sensitive will I have to be about there being a small amount of water in the fuel and having to repeat this process again. After the warranty has run out.

MPBsr

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 TDI....Traded in
So now we're looking at 4 model years of HPFP failures.

BrokenTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I know that everyone thinks that people talking about HPFP failures are fanatical. But believe me I was one of those, until last Friday when my HPFP blew leaving me stranded on the hiway. I agree that it is a very small percentage but just remeber it can be YOU!