New timing belt -- longer lifespan?

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
My local shop installed my second timing belt recently, along with all new pulleys this time. I hadn't realized until perusing this site that VW has increased the life expectancy of timing belts to 80k-100k miles. /images/graemlins/eek.gif If my shop got my timing belt from the dealer, does this mean I have an 80k belt? Or is there a difference between older and newer TDIs, and the belts that go on them? My TDI Golf is a 2000.

Thanks in advance...

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none in the fleet (99.5 Golf RIP, 96 B4V sold)
depends... some dealers are still saying the older (weaker) belt is all that can be used on the older models.

Without the dealer part number ya can't tell for sure... although generally it is easy to tell by looking at the belt which one it is.

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
Thanks, Willi. I stopped at the shop to ask a couple of questions before I saw your response. According to them, the belt is the same, it's just that VW changed the service interval. I take it that's not what you're saying. I think I'll stop the the VW parts counter and ask them about it, too.

My shop has been pretty good, but I just found out the synthetic oil they've been using in my car is Mobil 1, which shows a CF rating on the bottle. Not Mobile Delvac 1. I'm going to have to start buying my own and bringing it in. I can't blame the shop too much because they only deal with a handful of diesel VW's. It's just sort of a pain in the a$$ that we the owners have to make sure we know more about our cars than the shops, even the dealers, do... /images/graemlins/mad.gif

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks, Willi. I stopped at the shop to ask a couple of questions before I saw your response. According to them, the belt is the same, it's just that VW changed the service interval. (snip)

[/ QUOTE ]

__. They're not TOO wrong. There are three conditions (kinda...) out there for pre-PD TDI's. Here they are:
1) The early belt ("D" suffix). Good for 60K on manuals and 40K on autos.
2) The later belt ("M" suffix); on late '01 & '02 vehicles, warranted by VW for 80K (both transmissions).
3) The later belt (yes, the SAME later belt), warranted by VW for 100K (both transmissions).

__. So, if you're talking about the original belt that was installed by the factory, there's confusion because the service interval was changed for the new belts. If you're putting in a replacement belt, you should always use the later "M" suffix belt. Once it's installed, how long you run it (80K or 100K miles) is your choice.

_