Stories when filling up at "gasoline station"

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
When I used to use additives I just went by the station that had free ones and took a handful and put them in a plastic bag for later use when none were available. Cost $0.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Dollar shops have disposable plastic gloves for about a penny each... I've been using them for years...Y.
Ha,ha,ha, Yu** you're living in the distant past. No one penny gloves, they are more like $ 1.25 for ten now.

As I said before it's either Krogers or Murphy's where you get free gloves and the good thing about them is that you don't have to struggle to get them on!

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Last batch I bought was 75 (THIN) plastic gloves for $1.25... you need to check out different dollar shops...

Y.

Even at that price/quantity it is closer to 2¢ each than it is to 1¢ each. Horrors! The Inflation!! ;)

MG19

TDI
2014 Jetta TDI with DSG
Just wait till you get to the additive phase of your indoctrination. That stuff really stinks and lasts a long time and spreads with everything you touch. Welcome to tdiclub!
Already am using them! What's a good way to carry it without letting fumes out? Mine seals enough to not spill but not enough to not stink up my trunk. I only take it when I plan to fill up.
When I used to use additives I just went by the station that had free ones and took a handful and put them in a plastic bag for later use when none were available. Cost $0.
Even at that price/quantity it is closer to 2¢ each than it is to 1¢ each. Horrors! The Inflation!! ;)
I just use work gloves. Only a one time cost and I'm not putting diesel plastic in the landfill! :)

Last edited:

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
I only take it when I plan to fill up.
I leave it at home on the shelf in the garage and add it when I get home in a more controlled environment than the fueling station. Many here have said you have to add it before you fill to get adequate mixing........well I personally don't buy that. The fuel is being agitated when you drive and the excess from the fuel pump is recirculated every time you start the engine. This is not fact or science but I once added PS to a glass jar of diesel and it just dissipated and disappeared, it is a different color so take that with a grain of salt. That stinky stuff does not need to ride around in my trunk:eek:

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
I just use work gloves. Only a one time cost and I'm not putting diesel plastic in the landfill! :)
What do you do with the stinky work gloves? Bag um and tag um and if the fuel saturates them your putting your hands right back into it. Sometime you will have to put your diesel work gloves in the landfill too.:D

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
I just grab a paper towel from the little dispenser the stations keep at their pumps if the handle is really bad, but mostly I don’t even do that I just use my bare hand.

KevinGary

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 A6 TDI
Already am using them! What's a good way to carry it without letting fumes out? Mine seals enough to not spill but not enough to not stink up my trunk. I only take it when I plan to fill up.

Plus 1

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
I just have a black interior, and hands that are usually dirtier than the pumps

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.

When on a road trip, I put the bottle in a large ziplock bag. Seems to keep the fumes in. At home, it sits on the shelf.

Should add that I only use the stuff when heading north in the winter.

Last edited:

joedirt

TDI
2012 tdi jetta
pulled up to the sation in the pooring down rain and windy as can be.....cracked the window and said fill it up with diesel please, then rolled back up my window and enjoyed the warm dry car while he pumped my fuel.....lol...gotta love Oregon!!!!

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Not saying that sitting in a dry warm car is a bad thing, but you can pump your own diesel in Oregon. It's just gasoline they're trying to keep out of the rabble's hands.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
When on a road trip, I put the bottle in a large ziplock bag. Seems to keep the fumes in.
Mine is a similar solution. Every fall and spring I drive 2,500 miles + and on average fill up once a day. So I carry 5-6 eight ounce bottles of PS silver in a large ziploc bag. This way I do not have to stand around trying to measure the PS to add to the tank.

commedeschatons

TDI
2003 ALH Wagon 5mt, 2016 VW Touareg TDI, 2014 Q5 TDI, 2011 335d Msport, 2009 Q7 TDI
I was at the local speedway and had to pay cash.

I go in and this really weird cashiers. Just imagine a tall Utah boi coming at your door trying to tell you about jesus and how he can save you. Had several interactions with him and theyre all extremely awkward and i feel like he was homeschooled or something. For the record, the guy is not mentally handicapped. It is not okay to make fun of those people. The guy is just an ******* who thinks hes funny. One time i went in at 3pm and the dude was reciting an entire movie script from memory and speaking in a fake Mexican accent to some customers.

Wow man what kind of car is that?
Me: Its an Audi.

I push my cans of caffeinated crap on the counter towards him and pull the cash out of my pocket. Theres about 3 or 4 people behind me in line waiting.

>Oh wow. Those things are fast man. Dude proceeds to makes some car noises and describe how fast an audi passed him one time or something.
Me: Not this one. And i need 18 gallons of diesel.
Diesel? Thats an Audi, you gotta put premium.

I know it just works on the dollar amount, but i wanted to pay for exactly 18 gallons. The prices here fluctuate wildly so i didn't know the exact amount.

Me: No i need diesel man.
>I never heard of an Audi with a diesel
Me: I promise you the car takes diesel. Whats the total please?
>Are you sure? I don't want you to put the wrong fuel in it will damage the engine.
Me: Its my car, so im sure, ok?

this type of discourse goes on for about another minute, which at the checkout of a gas station with people bedhing you is an actual eternity.

Finally dude takes my cash and lets me pay. Starts saying some other **** about european cars. People behind me were pissed but there was nothing i could do. Dude wouldn't let me buy fuel without the back and forth.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Then why are you saying anything? Pumping my own diesel in inclement weather is not my most favorite thing to do especially if someone else will do it for me for free. ;)
Because the previous poster is newbie from Oregon where they are not allowed to pump their own gasoline. He may not know that he can pump diesel. :p

joedirt

TDI
2012 tdi jetta
Because the previous poster is newbie from Oregon where they are not allowed to pump their own gasoline. He may not know that he can pump diesel. :p
it does say "newbie" under my name, prolly because I don't post a lot, but ive been here for 4 years....I mostly just use the search button....yes I know we can pump our own diesel, and even our own gas in our motorcycles if we want, heck they even let me pump my own gas in my 52 chevy, because they don't want to risk dripping it on my paint

BeetlePD

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle 2005
I don't like starting my car and turning it off in short periods of time (just me)
That only applies if the engine is cold. If the engine is already hot, it doesn’t care about on/off cycles. I had a Civic Hybrid that turned-off the engine at every stop..... it lasted over 200,000 miles and still ran great even after all those Stop/start cycles (which only happen when hot)

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
I am that guy, or another one of them

Not at all. At 70k getting a new Dpf anyways for ph2b. Then immediately deleting the new stuff to resell on here for folks in an inspection required state.

And, for the record, I'm well well under the average 1gram ash for every 10k miles.

My ash load is just busting 16grams and I'm a fuzz over 40k miles, and that's the results of very sloppy pouring probably more then necessary, if at all, in each tank fill.

Nope. Not worried at all. Dont care. They make new cars every day.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Here is what happened to me today. But first a little background. The station around the corner has 12 dispensers in 6 units. There are 2 lines of 3 units each. The line closest to the store has dispenser numbers 1 through 6 while the other line has numbers 7 through 12. Dispensers 5, 6, 11, & 12 have diesel hoses in addition to the gasoline hose. When pulling in, there would be a line of vehicles waiting for the first available dispenser on the side where their filler port is located.

Well a couple of months ago they painted two one-way traffic lanes from the entrance to where we would wait and marked the left lanes as 1 and the right lane as 2. Those in lane 1 are closest to dispensers 1 - 6 while lane 2 is for numbers 7 - 12. So today just about everyone was in lane 1 but I was able to squeeze around the last car and get into lane 2.

When dispenser 11 with diesel came open, I was at the front of lane 2 so I pulled up to it but a pickup in lane 1 decided to go there also and almost hit me! When I got out, the driver told me to pull up to dispenser 9 which had come open but I said I needed diesel. He repeated the demand I pull up to the non-diesel pump (even though I have "TDI" on the back and a TDIClub plate frame that says this car uses diesel). I repeated that I needed diesel then reminded him that he had been in the lane for the other line of pumps while I had been in the correct line for the pump I was using. He the pulled around and drove off but I don't know if he left or drove back to the end of the lines.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
When dispenser 11 with diesel came open, I was at the front of lane 2 so I pulled up to it but a pickup in lane 1 decided to go there also and almost hit me! When I got out, the driver told me to pull up to dispenser 9 which had come open but I said I needed diesel. He repeated the demand I pull up to the non-diesel pump (even though I have "TDI" on the back and a TDIClub plate frame that says this car uses diesel). I repeated that I needed diesel then reminded him that he had been in the lane for the other line of pumps while I had been in the correct line for the pump I was using. He the pulled around and drove off but I don't know if he left or drove back to the end of the lines.

Self important truck owner who assumed you didn't know what your car needed.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
And displaying the normal inability of the 3 remaining functional neurons to communicate that seems normal for impatient drivers around fueling stations.

Cheers!

PH

lovemybug

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Red Beetle
And displaying the normal inability of the 3 remaining functional neurons to communicate that seems normal for impatient drivers around fueling stations.
Cheers!
PH
That's one reason I like going after I get off work. Usually after 10pm. Far less people trying to fill up.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That's one reason I like going after I get off work. Usually after 10pm. Far less people trying to fill up.

One of the reasons this local station is so busy is due to the Camp Fire last November that destroyed the town of Paradise. Those who lost their homes are now staying in other parts of Butte County including the Oroville area and my station has the lowest prices in the area, thus probably the best time to fill up is around 2:00 A.M. However, I'm not going to get out of bed for that! :D

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
BUMP for a Pro-TDI thread on its 17th anniversary. :cool:

Yes, I know this thread is stickied but I've done the annual thread bump on its anniversary almost every year before it was stickied since this thread was started in 2002. :)

Last edited:

sohccammer427

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDi 6 Speed Manual
My wife drives our '15 Passat Tdi now. (Man how I miss it) Anyhow, when someone tries to tell her she's putting diesel in the car, I tell her to say... It's a flex fuel vehicle. Would love to see the look on their faces.

MG19

TDI
2014 Jetta TDI with DSG
My wife drives our '15 Passat Tdi now. (Man how I miss it) Anyhow, when someone tries to tell her she's putting diesel in the car, I tell her to say... It's a flex fuel vehicle. Would love to see the look on their faces.
Ehh, see, responses like that, if people aren’t familiar with fuel types and their terminology, I wouldn’t want to accidentally cause someone to put diesel in their E85 car.