What did you do to your MKIV today?

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
I think you're all a bunch of lunatics and probably the root cause of the Clear Bottle Corona Virus. Please stay out of Michigan with your bald winter tires, bad driving habits and misguided fault findings.

hey_allen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Completely unrelated to the road rage discussion:

I just replaced my wiper arms with a set of Febi arms from AutohausAZ.

For the first time in the 6 years I've owned the car, I don't have slop in the arm motion.
Both arms had worn the pivot pins that the arm springs use to tension the blade against the window, and had developed enough slop that they would hit the A-pillar and lower trim when moving faster than low intermittent speed.

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
Had to finish up replacing the intermittent wheel speed sensor on the rear of the 03 (and corrected a sticky caliper slide pin) to open up a bay to park my neighbors new (old) car out of the rain. He bought a 55 Cadillac Fleetwood from the Amelia Island show and had it shipped home and the rear window went down, but not up!

Good thing I built a big garage!!!

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
I didn’t say I supported anything that was done, I stated I understand what he was saying and what happens where I live often!

And what is the “Well, we know what will happen to anyone on HIS road.” Supposed to mean?
Sorry, I wasn't referring to you; rather to the poster who supported the road rager who threw something at my windshield (turned out it was the ice in his drink).

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Completely unrelated to the road rage discussion:

I just replaced my wiper arms with a set of Febi arms from AutohausAZ.

For the first time in the 6 years I've owned the car, I don't have slop in the arm motion.
Both arms had worn the pivot pins that the arm springs use to tension the blade against the window, and had developed enough slop that they would hit the A-pillar and lower trim when moving faster than low intermittent speed.

Part numbers for left & right?

Dh4276

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Golf GLS TDI, BEW
Sorry, I wasn't referring to you; rather to the poster who supported the road rager who threw something at my windshield (turned out it was the ice in his drink).

Oh, ok. I couldn’t figure how I was supporting. I think everyone has had road rage at some point somewhere....even just a little!

06 Golf BEW

Dh4276

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Golf GLS TDI, BEW
Ordered some aftermarket light to replace fogged and cracking factory units. Could not afford the ones I’ve seen recommended by others here having just rebuilt the suspension.

Opened them up and what a waste of money these things were. However it turned out to be a good thing. The actual lenses were an exact match to swap out the cracked and fogged ones. I also ripped the housing wiring out of the crappy light and with some minor rewiring, replaced the cracked and brittle wires on my factory housings.

Got clear lenses and good wiring again, all works great.

Also got my boost sensor installed so I can now mount and wire up my boost gauge.

06 Golf BEW

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
YOU’RE WORDS
and I quote.

( Had a road rage incident the other morning )

So my question to you sir, why are you calling the police ? Did you report the part you played as well ?
Takes two to tangle, just saying.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi

I was driving back home after doing a courier run on 29 south around 3 am or so ... speed limit was I think 55 or 60 on that stretch of road... ( 4 lane road ... 2 lanes in either direction).

I was doing the speed limit ... no other cars on the road for the most part.

I came around a bend and a pick up truck was doing maybe 45 mph or so ... maybe a slow driver or just pulled back on road but I did not know so I went around him... turn signals and all and plenty of distance before and after getting back into the right lane.

The truck was several hundred feet back but rapidly approached me .... getting real close then backing off ... by close I mean probably within 5 feet or so..

I was doing the speed limit and road was empty.

This happened several times over several miles...

After a few miles of this I did 5 mph over ...

Same thing happened now driver was nascar drafting me ...really close ... like getting ready to park close.

I slowed down to speed limit.

After a mile or so he went around me... but he cut over early causing me to brake and slow to 50.

I figure give him space to go ... but he stayed at 50.

I went around at some point a few miles down the road and then he started drafting me again...

Having had enough of that I called 911 because drafting was crazy dangerous...

The dispatcher had me call out my location and signs along the route for police to intercept....

Eventually at an exit the truck veered right and got off while I continued straight...

Sadly on the other side of the overpass there sat the police in the right lane by a sign .... too bad the truck had just pulled off or they could have seen the drafting...

I described the pick up as best I could ... regrettably I did not think to get a plate number ...

I had a dash cam set up originally for when I did uber(filming inside and out in case of problem riders).

The camera stopped working for some reason (maybe summer heat on the camera inside s hot car?).

Anyways. after that incident I got another dash cam ...

As far as I know , other than me being there on the road, I did not do anythin against the other driver .... I used turn signals , always plenty of clearance when I passed and pulled back in etc... even did speed limit or a little above but always steady on an otherwise deserted road....

As far as I could tell there was really no reason for what happened to have happened.

In retrospect, if something similar happens in the future , I will try to get plate numbers soon and call police sooner ...of course the dash cam will be on too...

mk4mr

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Jetta TDI
I've been having strange, random easy/hard cold starts with this 99' TDI. Nearly 100% of the time, if I raise the hood before starting, I find air in the line feeding the IP. With 350+k miles, I was leaning toward tired IP seals and was anticipating going through the pump soon. I still may, but....yesterday evening during a cold crank, crank, crank and still no start 'event', I pulled the plug off of the #1 injector to hook the Mighty Vac up. The plug was split wide open on the under side. I don't know that I've ever had the plug off before because I usually hook up to the IP directly. I didn't have a true replacement, but I did find a mysterious rubber grommet type thing with a hole in it that fit tightly over the injector port, so I put it on. Today, after work, I went out and turned the key and BAM!!! it fired up immediately. I don't know if it is the only thing leading to the hard starts, but I'll know soon enough. Here's hoping!!!

Steve-o

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Yipes. My thought on the foam issue has always been (but never read anywhere), is that people who's foam disintegrates fail to clear the very cold AC air from their tubes before shutdown. This brings about condensation throughout the tubing (and of course on the flap doors), which inevitably brings about :eek: biological
activity! It's just theory...I have nothing really to back this up but I think it could stand to reason.
Hate to be a data point but I have, for decades, "purged" the A/C by switching it off a mile or so before I shut down the car, for the very reasons you provided -- and I am now seeing foam in a couple of the vents. Never ever had a stinky air conditioner (or any other issue) but the foam is starting to appear.

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
The foam 'thing' is just over-aged foam. It is no longer squishy; the stuff that I have seen from mine just turns to dust when I touch it. Going to be doing the blend door fix as soon as the weather is warm enough to keep me from breaking more plastic snaps that are required for the system to function...:)
cheers,
Douglas

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ordered some aftermarket light to replace fogged and cracking factory units. Could not afford the ones I’ve seen recommended by others here having just rebuilt the suspension.

Opened them up and what a waste of money these things were. However it turned out to be a good thing. The actual lenses were an exact match to swap out the cracked and fogged ones. I also ripped the housing wiring out of the crappy light and with some minor rewiring, replaced the cracked and brittle wires on my factory housings.

Got clear lenses and good wiring again, all works great.

Also got my boost sensor installed so I can now mount and wire up my boost gauge.

06 Golf BEW

So it sounds like you might have come out ahead as you were able to keep the OEM housing but update the wiring and lenses.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Installed the MFA cluster I bought from Europe and got it all coded and mileage-adapted.

Biggest issue (as usual) was getting the steering wheel airbag off. First spring took literally less than 20seconds; second one....as I was coming up on the one-hour mark, I pulled out a different tool beyond the myriad screwdrivers and bent rods I'd been using.

Guess which side gave me the trouble. :D

Last edited:

johnsTDI

Veteran Member
Canada,ont North America were Neighbours to usa
TDI
2012 Highline
replaced my driver's side low beam headlight with 1 Sylvania H7 Extra Vision light bulb funny enough when I took the old one out it had been changed before at one point using the exact kind. also the nice thing about using Sylvania H7 bulbs are there printed MADE In Germany on the inside metal frame.

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
Routine 120k oil change on my '04. Went off to wally mart for the 5W-40 TDT and found not even a single quart of synthetic Diesel rated oil on the shelf. Guess all the preppers run spark-less...:) Auto parts store had plenty though.
cheers,
Douglas

Dh4276

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Golf GLS TDI, BEW
So it sounds like you might have come out ahead as you were able to keep the OEM housing but update the wiring and lenses.

Exactly, just wish the lenses had been glass, but they look like new now.

Dh4276

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Golf GLS TDI, BEW
For anyone looking for part numbers, there is an app that works great. I’ve been using it and comparing to the dealer and it’s always been dead on. Same developer has one for Audi as well. It is set up like the dealer catalog so it take some getting used to where the parts are actually found. Thought I would share the link to everyone. This is the iPhone link, not sure if there is an android one or not!

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/car-parts-for-volkswagen/id1408710832

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
Brothers car: had a flashing GP light. Root cause was either a bad brake switch or a new battery as both were replaced at the same time. Existing battery was out of a Mercedes (long story) and wasn't holding a good charge more than a few days.

Also replaced a faulty coolant temp sensor. So now the car has zero nanny lights on.

Reinstalled the retrofit headlights that came with his car. Replaced faulty HID relay harness with a Morimoto unit from TheRetrofitSource. Also replaced the bumper lights and pig tail harness in both sides.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
For anyone looking for part numbers, there is an app that works great. I’ve been using it and comparing to the dealer and it’s always been dead on. Same developer has one for Audi as well. It is set up like the dealer catalog so it take some getting used to where the parts are actually found. Thought I would share the link to everyone. This is the iPhone link, not sure if there is an android one or not!

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/car-parts-for-volkswagen/id1408710832

Does that cover 2004/05 Mk IV Jetta/Golf Wagons with BEW TDI engine?

Dh4276

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Golf GLS TDI, BEW
Does that cover 2004/05 Mk IV Jetta/Golf Wagons with BEW TDI engine?

The app goes back to 1947 models, it also cover models that are made for other regions. So if you managed to import a car from Europe, or China, or Brazil even, then you could look up the factory numbers with diagrams like the dealer.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yes, those would and is a good price, that’s almost what I paid for the junk I got too, but I was able to fix my very bad wiring as well. I’ll save that link though for future purchase.

Thanks

Plan ahead though. I ordered some complete assemblies and it took almost 6 months for them to arrive. You may want to contact him before you place an order to see if he has any in stock. Also, I ordered the Lamin-X to protect the glass from being chipped after installation.

Dh4276

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Golf GLS TDI, BEW
Plan ahead though. I ordered some complete assemblies and it took almost 6 months for them to arrive. You may want to contact him before you place an order to see if he has any in stock. Also, I ordered the Lamin-X to protect the glass from being chipped after installation.

Good to know, thanks. I’m hopping to get at least a year out of these that I put on and change them to the glass middle next year.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The app goes back to 1947 models, it also cover models that are made for other regions. So if you managed to import a car from Europe, or China, or Brazil even, then you could look up the factory numbers with diagrams like the dealer.

Sounds good. Did you check out the other similar apps? One looked like it had actual pictures of each part. Also, all the similar apps were also apparently from Russian posters which I thought fascinating that so many in one country had the same idea yet were able to differentiate them enough to be approved by Apple.

Dh4276

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Golf GLS TDI, BEW
Sounds good. Did you check out the other similar apps? One looked like it had actual pictures of each part. Also, all the similar apps were also apparently from Russian posters which I thought fascinating that so many in one country had the same idea yet were able to differentiate them enough to be approved by Apple.

I tried 2 or 3 of the other apps. There were definitely more than I expected too. The developer of this one also has Audi and a few others as well last time I looked. Even had a bundle which covered all his apps, if you actually needed it!

OlyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Golf
Did a regular bottom side 20K interval oil change with new filter (T6). Will change the bypass filter next oil change. Also changed the air filter and cabin filter.

190K miles and all is looking splendid.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
My favorite TDI guru, Eric Merker at Midwest Motorworks, installed a South Bend Stage 2 Endurance clutch in my indigo blue Golf (not the red daily driver). This one should really scoot now, after the wearing-in procedure.