www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old January 7th, 2011, 13:04   #1
autenje
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2001 Jetta
Default Alternator Rebuild

I have a 2001 Jetta TDI ALH, 170,000 miles.

When I first start the engine the battery light stays on until I get the car up to speed or if I rev the engine a few times and I am starting to hear a screeching noise.

I am assuming I need to replace the pulley and replace or rebuild the alternator? This has never been done on the car before.

If I do have the alternator rebuilt can any alternator shop do the job or is this something VW TDI specific?

Should I go ahead and replace the serpentine belt and pulley while I am at it?

Thanks
Old January 7th, 2011, 19:55   #2
Dimitri16V
Veteran Member

check the brushes by pulling the regulator out. do change the belt and check the pulley for clutched action
Aleksander Prokhorenko , Charles Keating ,Russian and US special forces KIA against ISIS. RIP heroes
Dimitri16V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2011, 20:09   #3
cfm56
Veteran Member

like dimitri mentioned, verify your pulley operates the way it is supposed to on your tdi (clutched action), then either replace the alternator or rebuild it. if it you have nothing to do with your time you can rebuild it and reuse your pulley if its good, if not just purchase another alternator and keep on truckin. If you do decide to purchase a alternator from autozone or your local auto part store, verify the pulley that comes on it is a clutched pulley.
cfm56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2011, 21:29   #4
85_305
Banned

Sounds like the clutched pully is shot. I would veer away from rebuilding the alt; I've heard bad things about not buying a brand new Bosche or at least an oem rebuilt Bosche. A new alternator will come with a new pulley.
85_305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2011, 21:55   #5
aja8888
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Out of TDI's
Fuel Economy: About as good as it gets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85_305 View Post
Sounds like the clutched pully is shot. I would veer away from rebuilding the alt; I've heard bad things about not buying a brand new Bosche or at least an oem rebuilt Bosche. A new alternator will come with a new pulley.
Typically, the OEM rebuilts and aftermarket rebuilts come with the wrong pulley. At least that is what I have run into.
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2011, 06:22   #6
Dimitri16V
Veteran Member

change the pulley if it's bad and keep the alternator
Aleksander Prokhorenko , Charles Keating ,Russian and US special forces KIA against ISIS. RIP heroes
Dimitri16V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2011, 08:26   #7
85_305
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Typically, the OEM rebuilts and aftermarket rebuilts come with the wrong pulley. At least that is what I have run into.
I've put 3 oem Bosche units on from Car Quest and haven't had any issues with an incorrect pulley? How do you know that the wrong pulley has been put on?
Old January 8th, 2011, 08:28   #8
aja8888
Veteran Member

Quote:
I've put 3 oem Bosche units on from Car Quest and haven't had any issues with an incorrect pulley? How do you know that the wrong pulley has been put on?
TDI's have a clutching pulley that only spins in one direction whereas the gassers don't have that. The last alternator I bought had the gasser pulley on it. There are 100 threads here about the pulley. Maybe yours had the correct one.
Old January 8th, 2011, 08:33   #9
85_305
Banned

Yes I know TDI's have that silly clutched pulley; thats what went out on my last alternator so they just replaced the whole unit. I haven't heard of the gasser pulley being installed though. So I'm assuming you received the alternator, you messed with the pulley, and realized that it was bi-directional?
Old January 8th, 2011, 08:36   #10
aja8888
Veteran Member

Quote:
Yes I know TDI's have that silly clutched pulley; thats what went out on my last alternator so they just replaced the whole unit. I haven't heard of the gasser pulley being installed though. So I'm assuming you received the alternator, you messed with the pulley, and realized that it was bi-directional?
I checked the new pulley and it was clearly a gasser one. It also has a smaller outside diameter and a different size internal spline. The Metalnerd pulley removal tool has a spline on one end to remove gasser pulleys.
Old January 8th, 2011, 08:41   #11
85_305
Banned

Interesting. I guess that if my alternator were to ever go out again (knock on wood that it doesn't; what a pain in the butt), I'll have to make sure it's got the correct pulley. Thanks for that!
Old January 8th, 2011, 08:43   #12
aja8888
Veteran Member

Quote:
Interesting. I guess that if my alternator were to ever go out again (knock on wood that it doesn't; what a pain in the butt), I'll have to make sure it's got the correct pulley. Thanks for that!
There is a world of good stuff here! I am amazed at what I find from time to time.

Stay warm,

Tony
Old January 8th, 2011, 08:45   #13
85_305
Banned

Yes, there surely is. I love this forum.

You do the same!

Matt
Old January 8th, 2011, 10:50   #14
PDJetta
Veteran Member

Quote:
It would probably be wise whenever you replace your failed alternator pulley to save the old one. Then, if you ever need to replace your alternator, you can remove your good pulley and put the bad pulley on the now bad alternator (now a core) and turn it in when you get a remanufactured alternator. You now have your good pulley in case you need it.

--Nate
Old January 8th, 2011, 10:59   #15
turbocharged798
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40-50mpg

Is the pulley required for core exchange?

FIY, I just found that VW sells the voltage regulator/brush assembly for $50. The bearings you can replace with sealed standard bearings. You can pretty much rebuild your own alternator as the parts seem to be readily available.
turbocharged798 is offline   Reply With Quote