Is cylinder head swap on AHF hard to do?

Grunfen

TDI
Audi A3 1.9
Hello!

I'm new to diesels but a friend of mine asked me a favour. His Audi A3 1.9TDI -99 started running on 3 cylinders. He sent it to dealership for troubleshoot and VAG tech confirmed that "one valve lifter is broken and camshaft is scored (presumably on that cylinder). They also quoted an exorbitant price for a repair. His car munched an cambelt couple of years ago and was repaired. I guess that valve guide was cracked and now finally gave up.

I never did any job on TDI engine but I changed couple of heads, mostly SAAB 16v, Volvo and also an aircooled Porsche engine.

I hinted him that it might be cheapest if we got an used cylinder head (with cams and valves) and change it as a unit.

We sourced the head and my question is:

I this job possible with ordinary hand tools? My plan was to put the engine into OD, make marks on the cam belt and all pulleys. Then we would just remove the old head and install the new one.

Hopefully, we wouldn't have to re-time the belt or the pump.

According to Wikipedia, AHF engine has "electronically regulated distributor-type injection pump". Thas that mean that pump only supplies the pressure and that injectors are electronically triggered? Or do we have to time the pump (in case we mess up when removing the belt)?

Is this job possible to do for reasonaby skilled mechanic without factory special tools?

Thank you for your help!

bigtom111

Veteran Member
TDI
99 Beetle, 97 Passat, 03 Jetta
You have to time the IP. I replaced the head on one of mine when the timing belt broke and its not that difficult. The head bolts have the 12 point (triple square) socket head. You don't need a lot of special tools but it would be worthwhile the have the alignment tools that are normally used to change the timing belt. You can use the shank of a drill bit as a pin to lock the IP (somewhere around 12mm). You can make your own cam locking plate if you have access to a milling machine and the skills to use it. Read the How To instructions on this site for changing the timing belt. It explains how to keep everything timed. Everyting else is just like changing any other head.