www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > OBD Scanners

OBD Scanners Discussions on using On Board Diagnostic (OBD) scanners/ Diagnostic Equipment related to TDIs

Old June 13th, 2018, 18:51   #1
jesiah

Question update computer > VCDS flagged as having Trojan. How to still use?

Ran the most recent Windows 10 update today and on reboot it showed that VCDS 18.1 was quarantined, and named Trojan:Win32/Fuery.B!cl

Like many of ya, I bought my Vagcom cable off Craigslist for $20, because i can't afford a new, professional one... installed the software the guy included, but that was 6 months ago with no issus/viruses detected since. He just said to never run the update on the software, keep it 18.1.

So now I have a car that needs a tune up and no software to help do that.

Un-quarantine it, then re-quarantine? Seems sketchy and like inviting a hack.
Try and find software from a different release and risk it not being compatible with my cable?

Any help would be appreciated! Thank you in advance!
jesiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2018, 19:12   #2
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Part of the problem of buying this kind of hacked stuff. I would throw it away and use the VCDS locator list to find someone near me with a genuine cable to use. Or buy a real one. Not many of us either. People are constantly warned about this approach. If I were you I would be worried about anything you had done in the last six months since you got the "tool" as it potentially compromised anything you connected to or did on your computer. I would be changing passwords and bank accounts. They may have your information and just haven't used it yet.

Last edited by Lightflyer1; June 13th, 2018 at 20:15.
Lightflyer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2018, 06:17   #3
jef@rosstech
Associate Ross-Tech Vendor
w/Business number

China now has access to that computer.

We have kits starting at $199, look for the HEX-V2.

What should you do first with VCDS? AUTOSCAN!
jef@rosstech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2018, 13:28   #4
BobnOH
not-a-mechanic

Fuel Economy: 50/45/35

Maybe find an authentic KII-USB or buy that HEX-V2.
For your PC I might suggest you use Windows Defender (or whatever they call it now) Off-line, if you can get Windows 10 to do that.

Last edited by BobnOH; June 22nd, 2018 at 16:45.
BobnOH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2018, 16:59   #5
KyleMillione
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 02 (auto) 39, 03 (man) 48

I have this china cable http://a.co/hJvhxXW , but I use VCDS Lite ($99) with it, at least I know that software isn't gonna eat my computer. If your cable is the same it should work. It's ok, but the connection speed sucks. I actually just scored a used key-usb for $120, which is fine for me as I only own ALHs.

Last edited by KyleMillione; June 14th, 2018 at 17:08. Reason: Added Link
KyleMillione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2018, 23:33   #6
Nevada_TDI
Veteran Member

Avast is a great anti-virus and it is also free. You may want to check out Spy-Bot and CCleaner to get the the trash off of your hard drive. Spy-Bot and CCleaner are also free forever just like Avast is. Good luck!
2001 Jetta GL TDI, Tinted, Ventectomy, Catectomy, EGR-ectomy, TDTuning, HIFLO .216's, Stealth 17/56 Garrett, VCDS Hex+CAN, South Bend Daily Driver 2 Clutch, DG Short Shifter, Frostheater, Previous Diesel: 1983 Rabbit Diesel
Nevada_TDI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2018, 16:20   #7
Ol'Rattler
Veteran Member

Plenty of solutions for getting rid of that nasty dangerous Mal-Ware here: https://www.google.com/search?client...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
Buying from people that steal intellectual property and sells it makes you an accomplices to theft.
Draw-Tite hitch
Dash Tray
Blue tint aspherical mirrors
Euro Cupholder
Euro Light Switch
2nd grocery hook
VCDS Hacks: DRL Disabled-Seatbelt Chime Disabled-Key fob Power Windows
Adjusted Cam to Crank Timing
Ol'Rattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2018, 13:25   #8
Dalon

Fuel Economy: ~42

If you can’t find anyone near you with a cable like I couldn’t, you can rent one from AARodriguez for cheap..$9 shipping and $5 a day/$25 a week. Nice about that is it’s a genuine a Rosstech cable with hex+ canbus
2006 Jetta TDI - 190k - EGR & Cooler Delete - ECS Dog Bone Insert - Frank06 Cam - Mufflerectomy - VAG-COM Mods: Disabled: Seatbelt chime, cold diagnostics, TPMS, and DRL - Tail lights set to 40% brightness, Recoded cluster to UK, Coming/leaving home, Remote windows, Unlock all doors when key removed from ignition and unlock all doors with one click
Dalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2018, 14:07   #9
Mike_04GolfTDI
Veteran Member

Compared to the cost of one visit to a dealer for anything, the VCDS cable is a bargain.

I don't regret for a second paying $349 for the Hex-Can cable I got back in 2004 (or was it 2005?). That was a lot of money back then, especially with the communist Canadian dollar at the time. I think it was something like $1.65 Canadian for one actual dollar.

Still, it was well worth it. You couldn't give me my money back for it.
Old June 22nd, 2018, 16:56   #10
Nevada_TDI
Veteran Member

I'm with Mike^^^ 10 years ago, I paid a lot of money for the CAN bus capable cable, IIRC it was $350.00 and like Mike, I see no reason to ever part with it.
2001 Jetta GL TDI, Tinted, Ventectomy, Catectomy, EGR-ectomy, TDTuning, HIFLO .216's, Stealth 17/56 Garrett, VCDS Hex+CAN, South Bend Daily Driver 2 Clutch, DG Short Shifter, Frostheater, Previous Diesel: 1983 Rabbit Diesel
Nevada_TDI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2018, 19:34   #11
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

If someone buys a $20 hacked/pirated version you most likely aren't going to talk them into a legit one at substantially more money. Besides there has already been mentioned a lower cost legit one available. The OP also hasn't returned since the day after this post. Most here also won't help someone in this situation, to defraud the legitimate business that rightfully owns the software. More than likely bought another $20 cable and software.