front main crank seal ALH

Jjakimiak

TDI
03 GLS Sedan,
Hello all,
I am in the middle of breakdown for a TB job and my crank seal is leaking, well weaping really, its appears to be very minimal. I talked to a local shop that does a lot of work on VW's he said he tries not to touch them if they aren't leaking. So I am debating since it is just a weap of leaving and and changing it next TB job but I worried it will leak like a sieve soon. ( like my old 92 subaru did) I don't have a crank counterhold tool, I may be able to look around the shop a bit and make one but i was considering another route.

I figured if i just knocked it off with an impact before I take the belt off I could do the TB, and when done and time to torque the crank bolt to 88 plus 90 I could possibly use the crank lock tool plus the counter hold for the cam and get it torqued that way but I was worried if that could possibly damage the tensioner............

Thanks.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Hold the crank by the dampener bolt holes. If leaving the housing in place you may want a puller. Franko6 has a setup he rents.

Ash03

TDI
Vw Polo 1.9TDI 96kw
If its a seal with a metal reinforcing, i normally just carefully screw in a self tapper a few threads and pull on the screw with a plier. Super easy, worked everytime without damage to anything. Just make sure u insert the screw straight so that it doesnt bottom out on the housing or the crank.

Sent from my SM-J500F using Tapatalk