My new 2016 Touareg Executive.

Litemup

TDI
16 Touareg
I finally pulled the trigger and purchased a new 2016 Touareg Exec. I'm very impressed with this VW. The fit and finish are superb the power is amazing and the fuel economy is surprising.
I’ve owned 30+ cars in my lifetime my last being a 2015 Lexus IS 350 and I’m more impressed with this Treg. The Dynaudio alone was worth the extra cash for the Exec. It’s even better than the Mark Levinson System in the Lexus.
Getting 600+ miles between fill ups is nice as well. I’m still shopping for fuel in my area. From what I’ve read, stay clear of Truck Stops and keep to major brands like BP and Shell.
The tourque is pretty impressive as well, it pulls this 4900lb SUV very easily.

Last edited:

Marty

TDI
2016 VW Touareg TDI Executive
X2

My wife and I purchased a new 2016 Touareg TDI Executive in December, 2017, and we absolutely love it. It is, by far, the best quality vehicle we have ever owned. We have no regrets for having purchased it, and hope to keep it for many years, and miles, to come.

Congratulations on your purchase! We hope you enjoy it as much as we enjoy ours.

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
They are tough to find,I'm looking right now for a 2015 or 16 after my trade in 2012. Low mileage would be fine.

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
Nice ride! Our T-reg is a pretty nice vehicle. I never saw us driving a $60k vehicle or an SUV but here we are. Of course we only afforded it because of the very high mileage and dieselgate pushing the value down. But it is quite a vehicle and I like that the wife and kids are in a 5000 lb vehicle.

Ours is a 2014. Are there any changes between the 2014 and 2016 Exec's? I really like the 4 camera birds eye view. And while they are annoying the proximity sensors help keep me from driving that beast into things when parking.

I'd really like to ditch the 20" wheels for 18" wheels and see if that bumps mileage up a couple MPG's.

Gilty_one

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Execline 3.0 V6 TDI; 2012 Jetta Highline TDI
Nice ride! Our T-reg is a pretty nice vehicle. I never saw us driving a $60k vehicle or an SUV but here we are. Of course we only afforded it because of the very high mileage and dieselgate pushing the value down. But it is quite a vehicle and I like that the wife and kids are in a 5000 lb vehicle.

Ours is a 2014. Are there any changes between the 2014 and 2016 Exec's? I really like the 4 camera birds eye view. And while they are annoying the proximity sensors help keep me from driving that beast into things when parking.

I'd really like to ditch the 20" wheels for 18" wheels and see if that bumps mileage up a couple MPG's.
I have picked up a set of 18" alloys and just waiting to put proper winter tires on...until then I'll keep track of the mileage on my 20"s until then. Although I think winter tires won't be a mileage savvy as a good set of all seasons.

BTW - Is it the mass momentum with the alloys rims at a further radius from centre that causes a mileage increase? I'm not up to doing the math and I want to see someone put the equivalent rubber on the two rim sizes to prove it.

Personally , I feel that the outside diameter and being sure it's as close to the same for both rims are key to keeping the mileage and speedo accurate.

Has anyone compared to a GPS reading to their speedo reading and the different sets of tires?

squeegee_boy

Veteran Member
Here is an article that covers the impact of lower profile tires on fuel economy, acceleration, and cornering. It's on a different car, but the results should be similar.

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/effects-of-upsized-wheels-and-tires-tested

I switch from 19" wheels in the summer to 18" wheels in the winter. I cannot discern a difference in the speedometer accuracy. On my car, the speedometer matches GPS speed exactly.

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
Here is an article that covers the impact of lower profile tires on fuel economy, acceleration, and cornering. It's on a different car, but the results should be similar.

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/effects-of-upsized-wheels-and-tires-tested

I switch from 19" wheels in the summer to 18" wheels in the winter. I cannot discern a difference in the speedometer accuracy. On my car, the speedometer matches GPS speed exactly.

The smaller diameter wheels will have tires with taller sidewalls so the tire diameter itself should be as close as possible. I think the possible mileage improvement would be from lighter wheels (less unsprung weight) and the fact that they are a bit narrower so they have less rolling resistance. I'm not expecting anything major. Maybe a couple mpg?

Of course I have to find some 18's before I can find out if there is any improvement myself.

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
I would look at using a lubricant like Power service grey bottle with a your fill ups in the summer and same product ,but set up for winter conditions in white bottle. I have used it for 6yrs now with my 2012 TREG and will continue with my new 2016. Many threads have been written about HPFP issues with the low lubricity of US diesel and ways to solve the problem. PS is readily available at many auto stores and not expensive.