Suzuki LJ-81, 1981 truck / TDI AHU

Pry_P

Veteran Member
Here is my first build thread. I've owned this suzuki LJ81 pickup truck for 2 years now and i've been contemplated doing a frame-off restoration, along with a diesel swap. Well I started last week. I used this truck only off-road and for plowing snow, but I want to put it back on the road.

This little 4x4 is quite rare. The ancestor of the Samurai. It came from factory with a 42hp 4 cyl 4 stroke 800cc mated to a 4 speed trans. previous engines used in those trucks were 2 strokes. 2 and 3 cyl.

I got a AHU tdi for cheap, 505 000km. I am using an ACME adapter kit to adapt the tdi to a samurai 5 speed transmission and for engine supports.
I will have to work supports a bit, since this kit is designed for the samurai and not for the LJ. So far, a very nice kit. it makes things easier.

Truck will need a spring over axle lift for the oil pan to clear the centered front diff.

I found a 1.9td AAZ fuel pump at pick-a-part kind of scrapyard. 6.50$ +tx... I think it was a good deal.

Bolted that pump to the tdi. I heard different theories about using a straight TD pump on a tdi. Some say it wont work and needs the tdi internals, some say it works fine but not a powerhouse. I am not looking to go over stock tdi power either. I will try to bench start the engine later this week and see how it goes. I am waiting for a sidekick 1.6 starter.

The turbo is a T2 from the same 1.9TD AAZ
I must use an angled oil filter housing from a 1.8T Passat for the filter to clear the left engine mount.
Will need to adapt another steering box. The stock one is in the way of the bigger samurai transmission.

The biggest part of this project will be bodywork. Fabricating new floors, Fenders, ect.

Here is how it looked as of last week.

Engine/transmission bolted

Bed is removed, Body ready to be removed from frame.

Last edited:

Pry_P

Veteran Member
Frame with old engine/transmission still

Cab ready for rust removal/body work

I will do my best to keep this thread alive for the lenght of the project.

samuraitd

Veteran Member
TDI
ahu mtdi samurai swap, 1991 jetta ecodiesel
Finally!!!! I've been wanting to see a diesel LJ swap forever! I've been trying to pick up two LJ20v's for a couple years now, but I just can't seem to strike a deal with the guy

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Wow, that's cheap considering what that adapter costs. I'd have plenty of time to finish it since I'd be divorced if I even broached the subject.

My old Zuk is still going strong locally, although it's sporting different tires and paint job. I do miss it occasionally but have to schedule time for myself so I know I don't have the time for something like that anymore.

I wish we had the LJ series down here, or at last be able to find a decent SJ410. The Canadians and Europeans got all the cool stuff.

Pry_P

Veteran Member
After a lot of injector bleeding, i got the engine to start hanging under the hoist
Happy to see that the bare 1.9TD pump is able to at least run the tdi.

Whitbread

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Several
Get a land rover 300 TDI pump from england and never look back. Give Ryanp/darkside a shout. They're less than $200 and have an 11mm head.

Freaking awesome truck BTW.

Pry_P

Veteran Member
Get a land rover 300 TDI pump from england and never look back. Give Ryanp/darkside a shout. They're less than $200 and have an 11mm head.

Freaking awesome truck BTW.
Thanks ! I will try to keep it this way for now, but might give it a try later. I want to concentrate $$ on frame and body restauration.

Pry_P

Veteran Member
Here are some updates
Got the engine installed on the frame, along with other stuff over the past few weeks.
I tack weld everything for now. When the truck will drive on its own power and everything run and drive as it should, I will then strip everything down, finish welding, blast and paint before final re-assembly.

I used dodge 318 engine mounts. had to cut and angle the stock LJ lower mount bracket to corect some angle.
Did a spring over axle lift. In stock form, the oil pan was sitting on the diff. pumpkin.
To clear the piping from turbo to intake, The cab will need to be lifted 2"

I had to completely redo the steering system. The original steering box was in the way of the larger samurai transmission. I used a Toyota 2WD power steering box mounted forward and on the outside and converted to crossover steering, doing all custom steering rods from 1" bar.

I used the old suzuki engine mount and made a custom tranny support.

Had to lower and relocate the transfer case back. Mounted it on a plate welded between frame tubes. Was able to use the rear driveshaft as-is. I shorten the center driveshaft, and add lenght to the front one.

I use a ''performance'' aluminium radiator for honda civic. It is small enough to fit well. Did a custom support for it mounted to the frame.

I made a bumper from 2X5 HSS tube, reinforced the front part of the frame with 3/16" plate, and made new front shackle supports from square tubes.

here are some pictures:

Front end and radiator.

New steering links. not shown on pic, but the upper drag link is now bent to clear the oil pan.

Transmission tail support

Toyota steering box installed

Custom knuckle adapter for crossover steering

Picture before Transfercase and steering box new mounts finished.
I used a passat 1.8T oil filter housing. It is angled, and the filter now clear the frame and engine support.

Last edited:

1.9ZOOK

Veteran Member
TDI
ALH Samurai
Nice!
Love those trucks,will be watching.
Glad you went with the toyota steering box,flat pitman arms are available
if the angled one hits the spring.

Last edited:

Pry_P

Veteran Member
Long time no update on this. I've been working on it slowly since the end of summer.

I got the cab laying on the chassis and did some quick test drive around the yard. Very happy the way it ran

Meanwhile I scored this Samurai for 150$. I couldn't let it go.
It is still in good running condition, But I will part it out. Notice the custom Plywood top! It is also nicely covered with roofing shingles. Seller said it's 25 year rated !!!

Decided I would put the samurai Transfer-Case and Axles on the LJ. Will be tougher than the tiny LJ Transfer case and parts will be easier to find in the future. I also gain front Discs instead of drums. That said, I have to ditch out the custom drive shafts, T-case support & steering rods I made last summer and fabricate new ones again. This will be later this spring.

Lately I have been working on fixing rust and holes in the cab.
Look what kind of rust I am faced with... Pictures even make is look better than reality..!! Have to fabricate every body panel from scratch. Replacement Panels are VERY expensive and hard to get. Rust also goes beyond these available replacement panels.

Passenger Side Floor:

Driver side Floor cut, exposing rust in inner rocker panel:

Passenger Side front cab corner/floor:

Passenger Side Floor & outer rocker panel removed, ready for new sheetmetal:

Both new floors cut, bent and welded, made from 14ga checker plate.

Viewed from inside:

This is the front fenders and grille. I will be able to re-use the grille with some time and effort. The outer fenders I got this Idea from a guy in Edmonton. I bought a 60$ 16ga fender for a tandem trailer, cut it in half to have both sides.
With some trimming it will be 95% close to the shape of the original fenders.
Will need to repair existing / fabricate new inner fenders.

Still a lot of work to do. The worst is bodywork. Swapping Samurai Axle and T-case should go along very easy.

Last edited:

samuraitd

Veteran Member
TDI
ahu mtdi samurai swap, 1991 jetta ecodiesel
If you don't mind me asking, how tall are you? It looks to me like anybody over 5'8"ish would be too tall to drive it. But it sure is awesome!

Pry_P

Veteran Member
Nice job on the floors...
with the new front axle,you won't have to worry about the oil pan any more.
Yes of course that was another advantage. I even might be able to lower the engine by 1" or 2" and forget the body lift for the hood to clear the intake.

If you don't mind me asking, how tall are you? It looks to me like anybody over 5'8"ish would be too tall to drive it. But it sure is awesome!
I'm around 6' and yes I am a bit too tall to be comfortable in it. In the summer it's ok, but when I was plowing with it during the winter, it was a challenge to get in and out with boots and winter suit.

Pry_P

Veteran Member
I re-started to work on this project 3 weeks ago. The new shop is built and all set. Here are some updates.

I have no picture of that, but last year I installed the samurai transfer case with a custom support, and samurai axles.

I tried to set up a little sandblast tent, but still too dusty inside the shop. I moved sandblasting to an outdoor anclosed trailer. Installed a 10k 2 post lift in the new shop. A joy to work with.

I finalized the cab mounts. For bushings, I used Dodge 1st gen cummins transmission tail bushings.

I installed the new fender, made from trailer fenders..
With a lot of trimming, the fit is perfect.